Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 10:02pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « The Imitrex "limit" »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   The Imitrex "limit"
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The Imitrex "limit"  (Read 536 times)
Unsolved
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I'm still alive ?

WWW Email

The Imitrex "limit"
« on: Nov 9th, 2003, 7:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

So, does anyone know how they came up with the 'limit' of 2 injections (12 mg) per a 24 hour period?

Has anyone ever heard of someone taking TOO much Tex and what did it do to them ?

I was just wondering because I use WAY MORE than the limit ALOT. Sometimes I require up to 8 shots a day at 4 mg a shot and it's never hurt me and it always takes away the pain.
IP Logged

I need a fully automatic Imitrex injector
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

Re: The Imitrex "limit"
« Reply #1 on: Nov 9th, 2003, 7:41pm »

Good question UE...

I'd guess that GSK did testing to determine the safety of the med for FDA approval.  Remember though...this med was initially approved for migraines.  The brochure that comes with it even says that the safety of more than 4 per month has not been tested...  That can be interpreted a number of ways.  Your best source of information might actually come from a poison control center.  I'm not sure.

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
pinksharkmark
New Board Veteran
Dominican_Rep 

Clusterhead

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 9th, 2003, 10:10pm »

Prense is right. It's not that exceeding the recommended dosage is known to harmful, it's just that in order to get approval for the drug certain tests were run at certain dosage levels. Anything higher than those dosage levels is terra incognita from a legal liability point.

Someone here did post (maybe a year ago?) a report of clinical data from users like ourselves who routinely exceeded the recommended dose. No bad effects were found. Sorry I don't have a link to the post, but a search would probably turn it up.

Before I started using mushrooms to treat my CH, I used to exceed by at least double every 24 hours the maximum recommended dose -- for months at a stretch. My neurologist in Canada says many, MANY of his cluster patients do as well, and as yet neither he nor any colleagues of his have reported any negative effects (other than grossly deflated bank accounts, as in my case).

Of course, twenty years down the road some negative side effects may turn up. Who knows?

pinky

IP Logged
Ueli

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 10th, 2003, 12:36am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Some Links:

Sumatriptan overuse in episodic cluster headache: lack of adverse events, rebound syndromes, drug dependence and tachyphylaxis.

The same article in the OUCH library.

and

Use of high sumatriptan dosages during episodic cluster headache: three clinical cases.

PFNADs
Ueli
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 10th, 2003, 5:36am »

I found that when I went off imitrix after using it at high doses for a couple of years that I was able to relate it to the anxiety attacks I was having.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Boots
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 10th, 2003, 5:46am »

Befor using the trex tip I would get hit mid cycle with 6 to 8 ha's in 24 hours doing a full 6mg dose each time.
Trex clears out of your system in 2 hours.Now using trex in vials to get 3mg dose and ha only lasting 6 to 8 min,but still getting 6 to 8 ha's mid cycle...

--------Bill
IP Logged

Don't feed me sorrow,pain is the poison i digest
Unsolved
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I'm still alive ?

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 10th, 2003, 9:55am »

Thanks to you all for your responses !! And Ueli ... thanks for the links ( I did read them) ... very helpful  Smiley

I hate that others have to do it too (take more than the 'limit'), but at least i'm not alone.  

I read somewhere that chemicals in Imitrex binds to the eyes. That using lots of it can cause vision problems. Has anyone else read this to ?  

Unsolved
Wishing you all PFD&N

IP Logged

I need a fully automatic Imitrex injector
sixtyminuteman
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Nov 10th, 2003, 12:47pm »

I've been lucky, I guess. I've gotten pretty good relief using 25mg tablets. Damned expensive though, and when the ha's are frequent, I have used up the 9 tablets/pkg a day before my insurance company will pay their share for a refill, so I have to 'go naked' for 24 hours. OUCH!
IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 10th, 2003, 1:55pm »

on Nov 10th, 2003, 9:55am, Unsolved wrote:
I read somewhere that chemicals in Imitrex binds to the eyes. That using lots of it can cause vision problems. Has anyone else read this to ?  

First I have heard about that UE...

That was a concern when I was taking Topamax though.
IP Logged

Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life does not apologies......

Tiannia_L  
Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 10th, 2003, 3:58pm »

on Nov 10th, 2003, 12:47pm, sixtyminuteman wrote:
I've been lucky, I guess. I've gotten pretty good relief using 25mg tablets. Damned expensive though, and when the ha's are frequent, I have used up the 9 tablets/pkg a day before my insurance company will pay their share for a refill, so I have to 'go naked' for 24 hours. OUCH!

My insurance will only pay for 9 50mg tabls every two weeks, At this point I cut them in half or thirds if I can to try and make them last longer, as I can not afford to by them myself w/o insurance.  And if I can take them right when I start getting that bad shadow and getting the sweats, then it will help, if not then I an screwed and praying for it to stop.  

Tia
IP Logged

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
LSUnut
New Board Newbie

"Evil will always win because good is dumb!!!"

Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 10th, 2003, 4:55pm »

I have read a few articles pertaining to the frequent use of triptans and their affect on vision, I don't, however, believe that the drug itself is binding to some part of the eye.  I'm a medicinal chemist and I am very familiar with the hoops and red tape involved with getting a drug to market (average time is 10 years from conception to consumer).  Many drugs can cause side-effects like blurred vision or drowsiness, but if any of the triptans were believed to cause or potentially cause permanent vision problems, there is no way they would have received FDA approval.  This is based on the simple fact that migraines and clusters are not considered life-threatening, so blindness is not a good trade-off.  All of this is not to say that the triptans can't affect your vision, though.  The FDA safety standards follow a therapeutic index of when the maximum therapeutic benefit has been reached at the lowest dosage.  For example, if 25mg of imitrex relieves more than 50% of the pain in 50% or more of the patients, but 50mg (a doubling)of imitrex only does slightly better and not a full doubling of the beneficial results, then they will recommend the lower dose.  They also have to follow a similar index in reverse to plot the increase and severity of side-effects.  They have to carefully determine when, in most individuals, will the benefits of taking the med no longer outweigh the risks.  From my own personal knowledge of the triptans and how they work, I think that excessive usage, especially in higher dosages, could turn out to be a very dangerous practice.  Being a fellow CH sufferer, I know the pain and desire to make it stop, but I only use Zomig or Imitrex as a last resort before a potential ER trip.  Triptans cause very focussed vasoconstriction of the extracerebral blood vessels.  If you are constantly dosing yourself, then you are potentially starving tissues supplied by those blood vessels.  You are also causing a spike (upward) in blood pressure in that area, constantly (think; stroke, cerebral hemorrhage, embolism).  The FDA nor the drug companies have examined this in depth to produce accurate data, hard to get volunteers I guess, but the triptans have been linked to some deaths.  The same type of problems have occured with other focalized vasoconstrictors, like Afrin.  Some people who got hooked on Oxymetazoline and its powerful decongesting ability by vasoconstriction ended up with necrotic tissue in their sinus cavities.  This isn't to frighten you, but please be careful and remember that Imitrex and the other triptans are very powerful drugs.  Wishing you PFDAN.. Wink
IP Logged

Whoever said the fear of death is worse than death itself, obviously never suffered from cluster headaches!!!
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 10th, 2003, 7:16pm »

on Nov 10th, 2003, 4:55pm, LSUnut wrote:
Many drugs can cause side-effects like blurred vision or drowsiness, but if any of the triptans were believed to cause or potentially cause permanent vision problems, there is no way they would have received FDA approval.  This is based on the simple fact that migraines and clusters are not considered life-threatening, so blindness is not a good trade-off.

If I am recalling correctly, the topamax I was taking had a crystal clear warning that it can cause permanent eye damage.  I forget exactly what they call it.

What you are saying makes sense in a logical way, but some people are willing to risk death and permanent injuries/paralysis on the chance they may improve quality of life...kind of a live for the moment type thing.  That is why these operations for CH still happen even with the risks.  They don't call these things suicide headaches for nothing.

My  twocents

Chris
IP Logged

sixtyminuteman
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #12 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 10:54am »

Quote:
And if I can take them right when I start getting that bad shadow and getting the sweats, then it will help, if not then I an screwed and praying for it to stop.  

Yes, this is what I find as well. Currently, I'm down to 1 HA a day, at midnight (down from2-3/day). If I pop a 25 mg pill as soon as I wake up, it either gets rid of the HA in 5-10 min, or it mitigates the HA so I can endure it. I am on my 4th pkg of 9, over the last 6 weeks.

Good luck to everybody.
« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2003, 5:49pm by sixtyminuteman » IP Logged
LSUnut
New Board Newbie

"Evil will always win because good is dumb!!!"

Email

« Reply #13 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 11:21am »

You are correct, Topamax has been linked to permanent vision problems.  These problems are usually associated with myopia and/or closed-angle glaucoma.  The evidence is not crystal clear, however, because many drugs that can potentially cause an increase in itraocular pressure can cause vision problems, and the symptoms often go away when the drug is discontinued.  On the other hand, different forms of mild glaucoma are often asymptomatic until the condition worsens (say from the use of a particular drug).  So, the real issue for most patients is to discontinue the drug as soon as adverse reactions occur in order to prevent permanent damage.  Getting back to the issue, though, Topamax is not a triptan nor was it even designed as a headache medicine.  Topamax is a powerful anti-epileptic designed to prevent and control partial seizures and grand mal seizures (which, unfortunately, are often life-threatening), so the FDA is more lenient when considering at what point the benefits no longer outweigh the risks.  Depakote was also designed as an anti-epileptic, it just happens to help as a preventative for some headache sufferers (its side-effects can also be quite severe).  Back to the triptans, though, some of the animal testing (I believe in rats) did reveal that imitrex or one of its metabolites bound to the melanin in eye pigments.  This was never seen during the human trials, most probably because the elimination half-life in humans is very short (roughly 2 hrs).  Also, there is a good chance it was a metabolite and not the actual drug, meaning it could be a metabolite that humans don't produce.  They also report corneal cloudiness/opacity (cataract formation) in the eyes of dogs.  This information is not earth-shattering, however, because dogs tend to form cataracts very easily and usually without any known etiology.  Sorry to be so lengthy, but I hope this info helps. Wink  
IP Logged

Whoever said the fear of death is worse than death itself, obviously never suffered from cluster headaches!!!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss