Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 3:49am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « a little O2 info if you please..... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   a little O2 info if you please.....
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: a little O2 info if you please.....  (Read 375 times)
CindyC

Email

a little O2 info if you please.....
« on: Nov 14th, 2003, 10:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

My husband is a clusterhead.  He is finding some relief in O2.  My concern is that for the last 2 days he is on the bottle every hour for about 15 minutes @7 lpm.  Is this too much?   Or I guess I should ask...is this safe?

I also read in a message board that a mask should be disinfected once a week to keep bacteria from forming and possibly causing sinus infections.  Do you just clean it with soap and water...or is there a better way?

Thanks
CindyC
IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

Re: a little O2 info if you please.....
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14th, 2003, 10:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Antibacterial soap and warm water should work just fine.  Also, my O2 supply will give me a new mask once a month...if I ask for it.  In addition to the mask, the humidifier (if used) needs to be cleaned regularly as well.

The prolonged usage question really should be answered by a doc.  I can tell you that I use 12 lpmx 15 minutes every couple of hours with no problems so far.  I honestly couldn't advise you on the usage...best bet is to check with the doc, the O2 company or even your local fire dept.  Make sure you tell them what kind of mask he is using.

Good luck!
Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
CindyC

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 14th, 2003, 10:37pm »

Thanks for the reply Chris!
Got no doctor, got no medical O2 supplier.
Long story short...we are winging it!
With alot of help from these folks here!
CindyC
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 14th, 2003, 11:03pm »

Hi Cindy
I'm no oxygen expert, but we use welders oxygen here.  Mike is the clusterhead, I'm a migrainer.

We use a 10 - 12 lpm flow rate for about that length of time, too - we survive it.

I think as long as you don't let him fall asleep with it on, he'll be ok.  But, as I said, I'm no expert.  There are some much more knowledge o2 gurus here - maybe post your question on the general board as well.
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

« Reply #4 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 10:30am »

Cindy, maybe if you used a stronger setting of the valve, he would not have to sit at it so long - just a thought.

apart from that, hang tough

IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 11:09am »

You got a local fire dept.  They are trained to administer O2 and should have pertinent info to be able to answer your questions.  Wouldn't hurt to ask.   Grin

Keep on wangin' it!   Grin

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
CindyC

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 11:29am »

Margi...
We are using welders O2.  It took a few days to round up a regulator w/ flow meter and a non-R mask.
Have you ever had any trouble with the non medical O2.  Our tank is not very big...and I wonder at what point the gas supplier is going to wonder why I am filling it every couple of days?
CC
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 9:14pm »

Cindy, if the welding O2 supplier wants to know what you're doing with all the O2 tell them you're helping me build a street rod. That takes a lot of welding. They can come and look in my garage if they don't believe you.
« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2003, 9:15pm by BobG » IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
CindyC

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 15th, 2003, 9:40pm »

Bob G...
Hey now there is a thought!
I have already told them I am making jewelry...can I graduate to building cars that fast! lol
CC
IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 16th, 2003, 5:46am »

Dear Cindy

Usual thing about not being a Doctor but I am an 02 user.

I find if I use at 7l/min it either doesn't abort, or takes a long time. I hit hard at 12-15l/min and find if it is going to abort, it will do so in less than 10 mins. I think Prense and Ave's suggestion to try a higher flow therefore makes sense.

Another tip I learned at OUCH was to take a tablet form triptan (e.g. Imigran, Zomig, Frova) as I start the 02, partly because they are miles cheaper here and easy to get from the Docs, but also because on  their own they are useless for me as they are too slow. I take the tablet because if the 02 doesn't work, or I get a 'bounce back' headache, the oral triptan has begun to work by then.
I can then reserve my 'hard to get' (or in your case expensive) version of Imigran (I have the nasal) for when I am really in trouble.

As for how much 02 you can use and how often, this has been debated a lot and I don't remember there ever being a solid and definitive answer.
Hopefully if you crank it up a bit your hub may use it less times , less often.

Here's hoping Smiley

Wendy

P.S. Not really answering your question but may be useful generally.
The Institute of Neurology trial in London (Goadsby's mob) stipulates 15 minutes at 12 lites per minute. They and BOC (who provide most of the 02 used here) also say that there is no problem staying on the 02 for 20-25 minutes.
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2003, 6:08am by pubgirl » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss