Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 3:46am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Zonegran and Inderal ever work for anyone? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Zonegran and Inderal ever work for anyone?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Zonegran and Inderal ever work for anyone?  (Read 503 times)
momof2
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Zonegran and Inderal ever work for anyone?
« on: Nov 16th, 2003, 7:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I was recently diagnosed and had never heard of clusters until now.  My first attack was August 27th of this year.  I have had 2 children natural and kidney stones but this pain wasn't even comparable. 10 on the kip scale.  I have always had tension type and migraine headaches and they are worse now that the cluster period is active.  

Between all 3 types of headaches, I'm about to go crazy.  I haven't seen a doctor in 4 years but since 8-27 have been at least 8 times to my neurologist and normal doctor.  

I have tried Lithium and Bellargal combo with a little success (not as many ch) as a preventative and Maxalt and Imitrex as abortives.  After 4 weeks, my blood pressure was very high on the 2 so he has changed me to Zonegran and Inderal.  It seems to have helped with the migraines but not the ch.  And of course after being up all night pacing the floor in pain and trying to work the next day comes the tension headaches and the pain in the back of my neck.  I have to work.  All of this is about to drive me insane.  My family is suffering also.

Someone, please tell me what my neurologist is doing and why can't he find something to make them go away.  I also take Vicodin whenever I have taken my dose of Imitrex and the  migraine comes before it is time to take the next dose of Triptans.  Anyone's advice, sympathy, or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
MOM OF 2
IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

Re: Zonegran and Inderal ever work for anyone?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16th, 2003, 8:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hey Mom of 2,

Mum of 1 here. I am so sorry you are having such a rough time. I have a slight idea how difficult it is trying to cope with CH, migraine AND kids as I have all three as well.

Other people will be able to help with the drug question as we don't have those here.

but

Have you tried 02? It is the wonder treatment for me and works for me for CH AND migraines, although I don't use it for the milder of the migraines. I use oral triptans for those. (I use Imigran as well but you know about that one)

hope you get some answers and some relief soon.

Wendy

Modified: I am not a doctor but I thought that high blood pressure meant that there were quite a few of the CH drugs neurologists can no longer give you, this is probably the reason for the new ones.

O2 can be used with high blood pressure though
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2003, 8:06pm by pubgirl » IP Logged
momof2
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Nov 16th, 2003, 8:13pm »

Wendy,

About the O2, I haven't tried it because my attacks happen at night and my spouse works midnight shift and I'm afraid of not having someone here and depending on myself to stay awake with it.  The blood pressure came with the headaches I think.  I've never had high blood pressure until now.  I'm sure that is why the change, but the new meds are not working.  

Thanks for your help!

Mom of 2
IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 16th, 2003, 8:21pm »

Inderal is a beta-blocker BP med...typically used to for migraines.  Zonegran is a anti-siezure med...some anti-siezure meds are used to try to prevent CH.  I am not sure about the Zonegran...however, one of it's side effects is HAs.  I have never heard of Bellargal.

Narcotic use for CH is generally futile and asking for trouble.  Depending on your use of some of these meds, you could have possibly placed yourself into a rebound cycle.

Seems to me...treating the migraine and CH, verapamil and depakote would have been good first choices.  Depakote is used for migraines and has some success with CH.  Verapamil is typically the preventative of choice for CH...and a side effect would be lower BP.  There may be reasons why your doc didn't go this route.

O2 is probably the "safest" abortive available...check out the oxygen info link to the left.  You didn't specify which imitrex you were using, but the injections work very fast for me...also, check out the imitrex tip link off to the left.  Maxalt and imitrex are "double dipping".  Take one or the other.  For me, maxalt did notta.

We are not docs or even in the medical field...by all means follow your doc's advice!  Hopefully, I have given you some info to possibly question his/her choices and maybe answered some of your own questions.

Personally, I'd try to get away from the rebound prone meds...some claim that imitrex causes rebounds too FYI.

Best wishes for you!

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 16th, 2003, 8:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I can understand about the 02 as as you know, it really is terribly dangerous to fall asleep or pass out while using it.

Isn't there some way round this? I only ask because 02 works so well for so many people here and so easily could be the right thing for you.
How about a very loud alarm or something that you set as soon as you start using it?

r.e. the blood pressure, there have been lots of chicken and egg discussions about blood pressure, most people's certainly does rocket DURING an attack, and some people feel theirs has been changed permanently by CH or the drugs they take.
IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 16th, 2003, 8:22pm »

on Nov 16th, 2003, 8:13pm, momof2 wrote:
About the O2, I haven't tried it because my attacks happen at night and my spouse works midnight shift and I'm afraid of not having someone here and depending on myself to stay awake with it.  

Kitchen cooking timer set at 15 minutes...like $5-$10.

Oh, and don't use the strap on the mask.
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2003, 8:22pm by Prense » IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
momof2
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Nov 16th, 2003, 8:43pm »

Chris,

I didn't mean I took both Imitrex and Maxalt at the same time I just have samples of both.  Imitrex injections do work better than the pills.

Bellargal is a derivative of belladonna, cafergot and ergotamine.  I couldn't take imitrex while on this mixture.  

The Vicodin was prescribed by the same neurologist who prescribed the other meds.  I'm following his orders.

Thanks for your input,

Mom of 2
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss