Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 7:41pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Phenylalanine a trigger? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Phenylalanine a trigger?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Phenylalanine a trigger?  (Read 508 times)
athimmel
New Board Newbie

Reasonable?!?  I don't DO reasonable!!

ahimmel  
Email

Phenylalanine a trigger?
« on: Nov 16th, 2003, 11:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all!  It's been a while.

I wanted to ask a question.  I was diagnosed with clusters and have been on verapamil and maxalt for around a year.  These two medications seem to keep the pain under control.  However, I noticed something odd and I want to know if anyone else has had this experience...   Huh

I have been using those new Listerine PocketPaks.  I noticed that when I ran out and stopped using them for a few weeks, the number of clusters seemed to decrease.  When I started using them again, the frequency went up.

The package carries a warning to phenylketonurics (?) stating that the product contains phenylalanine.  Is it possible that this chemical can cause an increase in clusters?  If so, should cluster headache sufferers watch out for similar products that carry warnings to phenylketonurics?

Just curioius if anyone has any input.  Thanks all.  Wink
IP Logged
Unsolved
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I'm still alive ?

WWW Email

Re: Phenylalanine a trigger?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16th, 2003, 11:47pm »

According to the site listed below:
"Phenylalanine is an essential amino acid and it is found in nearly all foods which contain Protein: meat (of all kinds), dairy products, nuts, beans, tofu... the list goes on and on."

"Is phenylalanine harmful to people that don't have PKU?". The answer to this question is a great big resounding NO"

BUT ... It also says that: " Some researchers claim that the amino acid phenylalanine is a natural muscle relaxer and sleep aid."  ... And I know sleep aids can make my CH worse !
Read more:
http://www.ess.sunysb.edu/tracy/whatis.html

Unsolved
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2003, 11:47pm by Unsolved » IP Logged

I need a fully automatic Imitrex injector
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Nov 17th, 2003, 12:51am »

Here's what the Listerine web advertisement says is in the breath fresheners.

Pullulan, Flavors, Menthol, Aspartame, Potassium Acesulfame, Copper Gluconate, Polysorbate 80, Carrageenan, Glyceryl Oleate, Eucalyptol, Methyl Salicylate, Thymol, Locust Bean Gum, Propylene Glycol, Xanthan Gum, FD&C Green No 3. (or yellow or red)

I have no idea if the strips will trigger a cluster attack but it is a hellava chemical list for such a tiny piece of ...
  of....huh....of chemicals.  Huh
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2003, 12:52am by BobG » IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #3 on: Nov 17th, 2003, 6:45am »

athimmel,
what kind of maxalt you're taking? The same 10 mg wafel thing I'm using as painkiller?

Best wishes & PFdays,
sandie99
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

floridian

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 17th, 2003, 8:57am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

The phenylalanine is part of the aspartame, which has a different effect until it breaks down into the individual amino acids.  Depending on who you talk to, aspartame is either completely harmless, or very toxic.  I'm not sure which.
IP Logged
athimmel
New Board Newbie

ahimmel  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 17th, 2003, 11:27am »

Wow...lots of replies!

To Unsolved:  I guess I was just looking for some kind of connection.  The sleep aid thing is interesting, though.  Thanks.

To Bob G:  Agreed!  Lots of chemicals in a tiny strip.  It's interesting that the warning label has to appear on the back.  Makes you wonder if that many chemicals is good for you anyway!

To Sandie99:  I take Maxalt MLT 10 mg.

To floridian:  Interesting about the aspartame.  I think I'll have to do more research.  Thanks!
IP Logged
HannahFroukje
New Board Veteran
Netherlands 

Let's try and find some ANSWERS!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 17th, 2003, 11:27am »

on Nov 16th, 2003, 11:24pm, athimmel wrote:
The package carries a warning to phenylketonurics (?) stating that the product contains phenylalanine.  Is it possible that this chemical can cause an increase in clusters?  If so, should cluster headache sufferers watch out for similar products that carry warnings to phenylketonurics?

Just curioius if anyone has any input.  Thanks all.  Wink

Phenylketonurics is a specific disease that you most probably don't have (see the link listed above, that explains it well). But also important is that there is a possiblity your body doesn't really know what to do with high levels of phenylalanyne, because there ARE really high levels of phenylalanine in some products, in for example soda.

It could also be related to other things. I know that drinking soda causes your body to contain less magnesium, it could very well be that this phenylalanin is the reason for that, i'm not sure.  

So it could be several reasons.

I would say, try to drink a couple of soda's and see if this has the same effect (that is increases attacks). If yes, you are pretty sure it's about the phenylalanine.

IP Logged
athimmel
New Board Newbie

ahimmel  
Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 17th, 2003, 11:32am »

I don't drink soda.  Got out of the habit years ago.

I guess I was just grasping at straws (no pun intended) to see if this particular chemical could affect more than just one type of person.

Thanks for the info.
IP Logged
floridian

Email

Aspartame & Hypothalamus
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17th, 2003, 11:51am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Not sure what this means, if anything, other than long term use of aspartame affects the hypothalamus.  Could be indirect via change in diet, or could be more direct if aspartame is a neuropeptide.  (Also see recent thread on dieting as possible intensifier of clusters). Neuropeptide Y is involved in contracting blood vessels, and according to this article, NPY is reduced with long term aspartame use.  Could short term aspartame use at smaller doses have an effect?  Maybe.   Consider the possibility and listen to your body.    

Quote:
Physiol Behav. 2002 Feb 1-15;75(1-2):41-7.  
    Effects of long-term ingestion of aspartame on hypothalamic neuropeptide Y, plasma leptin and body weight gain and composition.

Beck B, Burlet A, Max JP, Stricker-Krongrad A.  Centre de Recherches UHP/EA 3453, IFR no. 111, Systemes Neuromodulateurs des Comportements Ingestifs; 38, rue Lionnois, 54000 Nancy, France. bernard.beck@nancy.inserm.fr

The aim of this study was to determine the effects of the chronic ingestion of aspartame (ASP) on brain neuropeptide Y (NPY) concentrations, plasma hormones, food intake and body fat. Two groups of male Long-Evans rats, fed on a control (C) well-balanced diet, had to drink either a 0.1% ASP solution or water for a period of 14 weeks starting at weaning. Food intake and body weight were weekly recorded. At the end of the experiment, fat pads were sampled, leptin and insulin were measured in the plasma and NPY in several microdissected brain areas. Substituting ASP for water led to lower body weight (-8%; P<.004) and lower fat depot weight (-20%; P<.01) with no differences in energy intake or plasma insulin concentrations. Plasma leptin was significantly reduced by 34% (P<.05). Leptin concentrations were well-correlated with final body weight (r=.47; P<.025) and fat pad mass (r=.53; P<.01). NPY concentrations were 23% lower (P<.03) in the arcuate nucleus of ASP rats with no differences in other brain areas. The beneficial effects on body composition could be related to the decreased effects of NPY on lipid and energy metabolism, independently of insulin. The reasons for the NPY decrease (regulatory or toxicological) are not obvious. The constitutive amino acids of the ASP molecule might participate in the NPY regulation.
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2003, 11:54am by floridian » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss