Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 9:03am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « sleeping with O2 - what do you think? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   sleeping with O2 - what do you think?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: sleeping with O2 - what do you think?  (Read 689 times)
violet
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

sleeping with O2 - what do you think?
« on: Nov 21st, 2003, 4:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm going to try sleeping with O2 all night long, as many of my episodes occur while I'm sleeping.  I have obtained an O2 concentrator.   Any opinions out there?
Thanks,
Vi
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: sleeping with O2 - what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21st, 2003, 5:26pm »

My opinion is go ahead and try it, can't hurt. The concentrator can't put out enough to do anything but dry your nose/throat.

First thing to do is click on the 'oxygen info' button on the left side of the screen and read all about O2.

To use O2 to stop a cluster attack you'll need a tank/regulator/non-rebreather mask that will delivery 8 to 12 LPM.

If you get the tank/regulator/mask setup, DO NOT sleep with it on. The mask will have a strap on it.....cut it off so it will fall away from your face should you fall asleep with it on.

Best of luck to you.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Cluster_head
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 21st, 2003, 5:57pm »

on Nov 21st, 2003, 5:26pm, BobG wrote:
The concentrator can't put out enough to do anything but dry your nose/throat...To use O2 to stop a cluster attack you'll need a tank/regulator/non-rebreather mask that will delivery 8 to 12 LPM.

The concentrator I have goes from 2 LPM to 10 LPM.  Just so you know,  there are some units that are big enough. I still like the bottle better though. Wink

I wouldn't want to sleep with it anyway though.  My sinuses get real dry from the O2.
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2003, 6:00pm by Cluster_head » IP Logged

Tim

BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Nov 21st, 2003, 6:03pm »

I stand corrected. The last I had heard was the concentrators were only good for about 6LPM. Thanks Cluster_Head.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
HannahFroukje
New Board Veteran
Netherlands 

Let's try and find some ANSWERS!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 26th, 2003, 3:14pm »

As far as I know oxygen is toxic, and shouldn't be used for more then 15 minutes or half an hour max. It disturbs the balance of your bloodgasses. Ofcourse it's relatively harmful but it doesn't sound real safe to me, also because of the fire risk when there's a spark somewhere. I wouldn't feel safe if I didn't have someone checking on me when I slept.
IP Logged
NewHeadPLZ
New Board Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1! But these Headaches S*ck

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 26th, 2003, 3:35pm »

I use the concentrator myself, and have tried sleeping with a mask on.  Mask always falls off
IP Logged
Not4Hire
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

...WAS PF since Oct.'02, but ...oh my...(CBusters)

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 26th, 2003, 5:41pm »

on Nov 26th, 2003, 3:14pm, HannahFroukje wrote:
As far as I know oxygen is toxic, and shouldn't be used for more then 15 minutes or half an hour max. It disturbs the balance of your bloodgasses. Ofcourse it's relatively harmful but it doesn't sound real safe to me, also because of the fire risk when there's a spark somewhere. I wouldn't feel safe if I didn't have someone checking on me when I slept.

Hannah...Hannah!.... you've NOT been reading *CLOSELY* the info on the o2 button (at the left)..... as far as toxicity, o2 *is* technically toxic, but try breathing anything else mixed with nitrogen... I'm pretty sure your last breath will be to say:   damn, bad idea....

...you've been breathing oxygen since the moment of birth and I think it's not all that bad... It disturbs the balance of your bloodgasses. my dear, THAT IS THE WHOLE FREAKIN' POINT.... and why it is more effective  to more people than any other substance (save Imitrex, which has LOTS of side effects, some cumulative)...

Ofcourse it's relatively harmful but it doesn't sound real safe to me, also because of the fire risk when there's a spark somewhere. I wouldn't feel safe if I didn't have someone checking on me when I slept.

...I think you meant harm*less* but the fire risk is minimal if one uses common sense.... and reads the SAFETY section on that danged button over there<<<<

...and NObody wants ANYbody to sleep and use the amount of oxygen needed to abort a CH attack.... like you COULD sleep under attack!....sheesh!

...I guess I just gotta say: a LITTLE knowledge is a DANGEROUS thing.... a LOT of study is the only way WE are gonna kick the MOFO's ass.....

good luck....Steve(N4H)

IP Logged

Mantra: This will NOT kill me...This will not KILL me... This will not kill ME...
HannahFroukje
New Board Veteran
Netherlands 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 27th, 2003, 9:24am »

I had written some back but never mind.  

It was just my personal opinion you know ... you could have used another tone of voice. Would have been clear enough you know ....  Undecided Undecided Undecided
... my dear.
« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2003, 10:01am by HannahFroukje » IP Logged
Not4Hire
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

...WAS PF since Oct.'02, but ...oh my...(CBusters)

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 27th, 2003, 6:01pm »

i'm sorry you took me wrong.... it's very difficult....no, impossible, to convey*tone* (unless you are Shakespeare or Faulkner or Hunter S Thompson) .... i'm NOT any of those...

read the words... and like that guy in montgummerry. texas... sez:

take what ya need....leave the rest....

Sad
IP Logged

Mantra: This will NOT kill me...This will not KILL me... This will not kill ME...
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 27th, 2003, 6:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

For what it's worth this may be a 'language thing' maybe. Undecided

It is bound to be jumped on  here Hannah when you describe one of the main treatments CH sufferers use as 'toxic' and 'harmful' Huh

Personal opinion is a good thing but rather dangerous if applied to medical advice to sufferers with no personal experience involved.

Incidentally, the Institute of Neurology has said that 30 minutes even at very high flow rates is not harmful (but probably pointless as if the attack is not aborted by the 02 by then, for most sufferers it will probably reach it's natural end soon anyway)

Wendy

« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2003, 7:52pm by pubgirl » IP Logged
HannahFroukje
New Board Veteran
Netherlands 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 28th, 2003, 1:26am »

Don't get me wrong (too) ... I'm sure the "risks" of O2 are nothing compared to the relief it might give you. For this I have  to excuse myself, I mean it's true, I'm not the one in pain you know. Here at home HE's the one in pain ... I am used to my (other) role of having to be the one that looks at the "other" stuff: can it hurt him, is it wise ... what will it do in the long term could we try something else ... stuff like that. I didn't mean to sound paternizing (spelled wrong, I'm sure), if I came round that way, sorry 'bout that.  

So the first was just a personal opinion. You never know what's happening in your home when you're asleep. Personally ... and I really just really mean personally ... I would not feel safe when I would have oxygen flowing in my room all night.  But I am a chicken when it comes to fire and explosions (I didn't marry a fireman for nothing, I bet). But hey, again, I'm not the one that's been through this, perhaps if would feel it myself I couldn't care less if ... right? Point made, point taken.

The second I brought up because Jos' doctor (lung-person) made him take a test first to see if he as a heavy smoker still had healthy enough lung tissue to be able to take in all that oxygen. And lots of CH are heavy smokers, and can have latent respiratory trouble. The disturbance of bloodgasses might be the whole (freakin') point, but if there's something wrong in your lungs, what then? I would be a bit careful with that even though it's potentially harmless (yep, not harmFULL I mean).

Then again: I wish those who benefit from oxygen all the relief they can get! Let's just be glad this was discovered that oxygen helps.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss