Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 4:33pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Topamox »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Topamox
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Topamox  (Read 2602 times)
livvylou
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Topamox
« on: Nov 23rd, 2003, 8:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It has been two years and the monsters are back.  My local GP suggested Topamox.  Has anyone tried this? Anything else new in the last two years?  Thanks. Liz
IP Logged
fgg

Email

Re: Topamox
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23rd, 2003, 10:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I take 50mg of Topamax per day. Works very well for me.
IP Logged
momof2
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Nov 23rd, 2003, 10:16pm »

I've never taken Topomax but I am taking Neurontin which is an anti-seizure med also.  I also take a beta blocker and Indocin. After taking several different meds, these have saved my life.  So far I've been HA free for 4 days.  I know it is just 4 days but I have been suffering for 3 months now with no relief.  

I'm sure as you read you will get lots of ideas about different meds but good luck, I hope it works for you.

momof2
IP Logged
Lori
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 23rd, 2003, 10:18pm »

Yes, I have tried it. I used 100mg topomax and 360mg verapamil daily and after about 1 1/2-2 weeks I was virtually pain free. I had only a couple headaches break through during that cycle. I did suffer some side effects from the meds though that were bothersome..however it beat the pain of CH!!

Go to the search buttons and type in topomax. You will find many threads about it. There are two different search buttons..do a search in both of them to search both old and new boards.

Good luck!
IP Logged

Blessings and PFDAN,
Lori

Psalm 23:4 ~ Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
hootchdom
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 23rd, 2003, 10:56pm »

I'm up to 200mg topomax with out any results. Lots of people have had some great results. I have not had any side effects. Hope it works for you

Sending you pf vibes.

Hootchdom.
IP Logged
sandi
New Board Newbie
USA 

Hang In There!

alexmccat

« Reply #5 on: Nov 24th, 2003, 11:35pm »

Hi,
I take Topamax, 50mgs a day but to prevent migraines, not clusters.(my boyfriend gets clusters, i get migraines...what a pair)! It's been working pretty well for me if I stay away from "triggers'. I get a few breaktrough migraines but Topamax is better than anything else I've been on. But be sure to eat...biggest side effect can be weight loss! I used to be on 100 mgs a day and lost 18 lbs in a little under 2 months(which I guess is swell for some people but not for me).
Good Luck Smiley
sandi
IP Logged
jadedgazer
New Board Veteran
USA 

This isn't life threatening, just life altering

jadedgazer  

« Reply #6 on: Nov 26th, 2003, 10:28am »

I have spent the last year working with Topomax with fairly good results. It has been the only thing thus far to give me any kind of relief, although I have never been totally pf. I am chronic.

I started building up to 200mg daily increasing by 25mg every two weeks, eventually taking 100mg in the am and 100mg at night. This worked for about 12 weeks, having about 3-4 breakthroughs a week. Which was a success to me. Then it stopped working, so we went to 300mg a day, again increasing by 25mg every two weeks. Again, it worked like before...3-4 breakthroughs a week. Then stopped after about 10 weeks. We then increased the same way to 400mg. I stayed at 400mg for about 5 weeks and started having kidney problems and vision problems and it stopped working. So we are tapering off now.

The worst part of the side effects for me were the memory problems and cognitive thinking problems, which are subsiding with the dosage decrease. As are the kidney problems and vision problems. The ha's are back full blown. We are now gradually building up on Lamictal in hopes that it will at least work as well as the Topomax did without some of the problems that I experienced with the Topomax.

Good luck to you and I hope you experience relief with it. I have no complaints with Topomax, only wish it had worked a little better for me for longer periods. Smiley
IP Logged

Jackie S.
Piglett1969

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 8th, 2003, 10:45am »

on Nov 26th, 2003, 10:28am, jadedgazer wrote:

The worst part of the side effects for me were the memory problems and cognitive thinking problems, which are subsiding with the dosage decrease. As are the kidney problems and vision problems.

Yikes!  What kind of kidney problems?  My neuro has prescribed Topamax for me in place of Verapamil (I have naturally low blood pressure, and was having shortness of breath from taking it).  I haven't had the prescription for the Topamax filled yet as I'm not in the middle of a bad cycle and I also read info about the potential side effects.  I've been researching some alternatives to suggest when I see him again next week.  The idea of all those side effects scares me. Shocked

IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 8th, 2003, 7:37pm »

Kidney stones...drink plenty of water while taking topamax.
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
Piglett1969

Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 8th, 2003, 8:45pm »

Ick!  Now I know I'm going to try an alternative... Undecided
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss