Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 8:50pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Lamictal »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Lamictal
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Lamictal  (Read 1338 times)
jadedgazer
New Board Veteran
USA 

This isn't life threatening, just life altering

jadedgazer  

Lamictal
« on: Nov 26th, 2003, 10:37am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I searched the archives and found a few (6) references to Lamictal back in 2000...

Is there anyone using Lamictal now? Success with it? Side effects? What should I expect?  

I have referenced the PDR, web, my doctor and all that jazz...

Am taking 50mg daily right now, have been for 8 days and no results...will gradually increase to 200mg daily over the next 7 weeks. Just looking for some knowledge. Anything you guys can input would be appreciated. Smiley
IP Logged

Jackie S.
hootchdom
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: Lamictal
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26th, 2003, 12:23pm »

Lamictal is an anti seizure medicine. Same as topomax or topamax. Search for one of those two and you will find a lot more information. I’ve been on topomax for about 6 weeks now. Up to 200 mg/day. Not sure if it is helping or not. Lots of other meds also. Have not had any negative side affects from the topomax. A lot of people have had great success from the anti seizure medicines.

Hootchdom.  
IP Logged
Unsolved
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I'm still alive ?

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 26th, 2003, 4:46pm »

Tried it ... didn't help at all (But nothing else seems to help prevent the beast from coming either). Hope it works better for you than it did for me.

Unsolved
IP Logged

I need a fully automatic Imitrex injector
thomas

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 26th, 2003, 4:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hey Unsolved, How are you doing man - haven't seen you around for a few days.  I was worried.
IP Logged
jadedgazer
New Board Veteran
USA 

jadedgazer  

« Reply #4 on: Nov 26th, 2003, 6:21pm »

I have already been on Topomax for close to a year. Am having to go off it because of the side effects and the fact that it is no longer working. I am very familiar with the anti-epileptic meds. But each one is different and has different side effects. Hence my questioning...
IP Logged

Jackie S.
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 27th, 2003, 7:12pm »

Been taking Lamictal for 2 years for epilepsy. I gradually worked up to 450mg. It doesn't kill my seizures, just made them a bit more infrequent and different.  

I haven't had a CH attack since 1991 so it has nothing to do with it. It seems to have affected my digestion a bit. I get hungry and munch a lot but I don't gain weight. Not a bad deal so far. Since I began it, constipation is not one of my problems. Like so many anti-seizure drugs, it can thin your hair but it seems to grow back. It can affect your bones I think. Doc makes a big deal about taking lots of Calcium since I started. Also, if you get a rash anywhere, you're supposed to run to the ER immediately. It's a powerful drug.  

It seems okay so far as I can tell. Hope it works for you and don't over react to this. After all, I'm 57 and that no doubt that is significant.

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
jadedgazer
New Board Veteran
USA 

jadedgazer  

« Reply #6 on: Nov 28th, 2003, 12:29am »

Ty Charlie,

I noticed I started losing a lot of hair with the higher doses of Topomax too. But it grows like crazy, about an inch to 1½" a month...looks good too...LOL. My nails grow super fast too.  

My stomach has been really uncooperative at 50mg daily on the Lamictal so far, can't wait to do another increase and finally reach the 200mg daily. Woohoo! But they have me on Raboprazole anyway because I have such a hard time with the meds. Indocin gave me bleeding ulcers within two weeks of starting it. That was a real blast. Didn't help me anyway.

They did warn me about the rash and nothing so far. I am being very careful and cautious. Always am with a new drug.

I did become totally intolerant of gold jewelry on the Topomax, which was disconcerting. It caused blistering anywhere the gold touched my skin. I hope that goes away, as I can't even wear my wedding ring. (And it is so pretty and glittery and shiny and stuff...LOL)  Maybe the Lamictal won't do that to me.

I appreciate your insight.
IP Logged

Jackie S.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss