Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 7:08pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « prednisone »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   prednisone
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: prednisone  (Read 781 times)
moonhoney2
New Board Newbie
USA 

prednisone
« on: Nov 27th, 2003, 5:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi!  i'm new here.  my bf has recently been diagnosed with ch.  we figure this is his 3rd cycle and he gets them every 3 yrs or so.  

his doc put him on prednisone and i was curious as to other people experiences with it.  it basically drives him crazy.  the doc told him to take 1 20mg pill 3 times a day.  the first day he got to the second one before he almost bit his lip off.  he was bouncing off the walls.  he cut down to taking 1/2 pill at a time and will slowly build himself up to the dosage if possible.  

the doc said that if people tell him he's acting loopy, for him to come back in (he's going back fri).  that was a nice little send off.   Roll Eyes

has anyone else here had any experience with this?  I took it for poison ivy but never reacted this way.

thanks!!
IP Logged
thomas

Email

Re: prednisone
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27th, 2003, 5:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

It made me one mean mutha and didn't help worth a crap with the ch.  It works wonders for some though, just like anything else - works for some and not others.
IP Logged
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 27th, 2003, 6:25pm »

Works for me.  Well, it did the last time.  Hoping it keeps them away this time also.  

I took 20mg for 2 days and then 10 mg for 5 days.  I have been PF since the first day.  Took my last one yesterday and I am hoping and praying alot.

Almost 2 yrs ago I took prednisone and it blew the cycle and I was PF for, well, almost 2 yrs.  Besides prednisone now I am taking a SSRI to help in preventing the CH.  He needs to check into that also.  

Prednisone has some wicked side effects.  Check on this site under medical information.
IP Logged
moonhoney2
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Nov 27th, 2003, 7:28pm »

I've read too many bad things about ssri's.  they mess with your seratonin levels, permanently.  they can also make you suicidal, aggressive, violent, depressed too name a few side affects.  one of the columbine shooters was on an ssri and reported to his doc these symptoms prior to the shootings.

but yeah, he said he felt super mad on this stuff.  which is bad because he takes care of our 5 month old baby while i'm at work.  not a good combo.   our baby is generally good but has his moments.

he's going back on monday now so we'll see what his doc says.  i'm off all weekend so i'll take the baby with me everywhere.
IP Logged
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 27th, 2003, 8:43pm »

SSRI are not for everyone and they do not make a person suicidal.  It is a situation where the person themself has a chemical imbalance that wasn't detected and the doctor put them on the wrong medication.  It wasn't because of the drug itself.  Think about it for a minute, what was a teenager doing on a SSRI in the first place?  Well, I guess he had some issues, it was not because of the drug.  Anyway, the are many preventive medications out there.  Verapamil seems to work great for some people, I can't take it because my blood pressure is great and they don't want it to drop.  Prednisone has such strange reactions on different people, just like any other medication, I break out around my hairline with it, but that is the only problem I have.  I don't get grumpy or anything.  Oh, I do get incredibly hungry!  I could eat an elephant when I take this stuff.  Good luck to you and your husband in finding something that works.
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #5 on: Nov 28th, 2003, 6:26am »

Hi there! Smiley

I took prednisone for 4 weeks, but the only thing I got out of it was bunch of nasty side effects! Angry

I took 40mg tablets, starting with 2 and lowering the dose weekly until 1/2tab. Another doc made me take 0.5mg tablets for extra days, just in case returning to life without prednisone would be hard... Roll Eyes

I'm on my third preventative now and so far CH is still around. Like Thomas said, some meds for wonders with some and don't do any good to others. I wish you guys luck in search for the right med - I sure am still looking!

Best wishes & PFdays,
sandie99

IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Paigelle

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 28th, 2003, 7:51am »

Prednisone worked last cycle, worked for a week this cycle and the beast is back!
IP Logged
Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 28th, 2003, 9:39am »

Instant 10 pounds of weight

Little or no sleep

Thrush (fungal infection)

Swelling

Headaches immediately after discontinuing.

I will never do it again!!

Undecided
IP Logged
jadedgazer
New Board Veteran
USA 

This isn't life threatening, just life altering

jadedgazer  

« Reply #8 on: Nov 28th, 2003, 1:42pm »

My hubby has been on prednisone for 9 years now...he has MS. But we have experienced various different doses ranging from his maintenance dose of 10mg daily up to 80mg daily. It does make a person aggressive and moody at any dose. Weight gain can be an issue too. If you are aware of what to expect, you can sometimes be ready and control your emotions a little better. At least this has been our experience.  

Also, prolonged use has its serious drawbacks. Bone density loss is a major concern.  

Just some thoughts...
IP Logged

Jackie S.
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 28th, 2003, 2:06pm »

OMG!  They use pred to treat MS?  My friend has MS and gives himself a shot every friday...I have no idea what he is injecting, but I am pretty sure it's not steroids of any sort.  I'm curious now though.
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
jadedgazer
New Board Veteran
USA 

jadedgazer  

« Reply #10 on: Nov 29th, 2003, 9:17am »

Prense,

Most likely your friend is injecting one of the interferon drugs...i.e. Avonex, Betaseron, Copaxon or Rebif...

Any MS patient that is taking prednisone takes it orally and takes it to maintain strength. They tend to be very tired. In my hubby's case, without it he does not have the strength to walk. He is wheelchair bound without the prednisone. So he takes it. Quality of life vs. quantity. That is the game we play with MS.
IP Logged

Jackie S.
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 29th, 2003, 11:06am »

Oh OK...that makes sense then.  He has it pretty much under control (I think).  He went 80% blind in his left eye about 3 years ago for about 2 weeks...that was his last major attack.  He thinks he might be getting a milder one now...his fingertips are numb constantly for the past few months.  To look at him, you can't tell anything is wrong at all.

Best wishes for you and your hubby!

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
jadedgazer
New Board Veteran
USA 

jadedgazer  

« Reply #12 on: Nov 29th, 2003, 3:09pm »

TY, we pretty much have the MS under control...now if we could just get the CH under control...life would be grand. We joke that we are the neurologically challenged branch of the family. LOL
IP Logged

Jackie S.
moonhoney2
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #13 on: Dec 4th, 2003, 9:15pm »

Well he went to the doc and they cut him back to 1 pill per day for two days the 1/2 pill for two days.  Yesterday was his last day.  couldn't tell ya if it helped with ihs headaches...we're not really talking right now, but that's another issue.  he was in the decline of his cycle anyway.

Hopefully this is it because he starts a new job on MOnday (YEAH!!!).  we so need the $$$ right now.
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 3:57pm »

Pred is good for a break.  I use the Medrol Dose Pack.  60mg first day and decreasing 10mg each day.  I'm ch free from day 1 to day 3 or 4, then they come back but it gives me a couple nights sleep.  Not on it long enough to blow up like Paco or get as nasty as Hub, or as stoopid as Jonny for that matter.  Sometimes I do get as needy as some of the meegrainers that hang around this site looking for acceptance though.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
jonny

Email

« Reply #15 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 4:11pm »

on Dec 5th, 2003, 3:57pm, Bob P wrote:
or as stoopid as Jonny for that matter.

HEY!!!, Jolly green giant!...what, you dont think I come down here?

Just for the record, im the dumbass....Dons the stoopid one Grin

................................jonny
IP Logged
CJohnson
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Cannot kill the family, Battery is found in me

Email

« Reply #16 on: Dec 16th, 2003, 2:21pm »

Prednisone use can be highly catabolic, meaning it will rob your muscles of protein, which will cause them to shrink and become weaker. Administration of Growth Hormone has shown to reduce or prevent the catabolic effects of Prednisone. If you must try the Prednisone, and are concerned about the side effects, ask your neurologist about Growth Hormone.

No, I did not mean for this to sound like a commercial.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed &list_uids=1292981&dopt=Abstract

PFDANs
-Curtis
IP Logged

Through water and fire. From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak, I fought the Beast. Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss