Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 20th, 2024, 2:50am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Splenda sweetener? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Splenda sweetener?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Splenda sweetener?  (Read 2067 times)
Piglett1969

Email

Splenda sweetener?
« on: Dec 2nd, 2003, 2:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

This isn't exactly a medication, treatment, or therapy question, but this seemed like the only place to post it.

I just started doing the Atkins diet (I'm now into my 3rd week), and am happy to report that I've already lost 8 lbs.  My clusters are sort of quiet right now...I've had a few very small ones, and am not currently on any meds.  I started taking magnesium along with my daily calcium supplement and multivitamin, so maybe that's helping.

Anyway, my neuro told me to stay away from Nutrasweet and artificial sweeteners, as they might stir up the clusters.  But has anybody heard of any adverse affects from Splenda?  It's also known as sucralose, and is actually made from sugar.  I've eaten it in small amounts in foods and haven't yet had a problem, but I wanted to make sure it was safe so I don't aggravate the clusters.  Has anyone been told that it's a no-no?  Thanks!
 Smiley
IP Logged
floridian

Email

Re: Splenda sweetener?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 2nd, 2003, 2:43pm »

Don't know what the long term effects of Splenda are.  It is made by chlorinating a sugar molecule.  In general, chlorinated carbon compounds are very resistant to breaking down.  Sucralose (the generic name for Splenda) probably mostly passes through the gut without being absorbed or broken down, but according to some stuff I read, none of the studies on its effects lasted more than a year or so.    

Here are two links. One is from the manufacturer, which claims it is perfectly safe. The other is a little more critical of possible effects (like thymus shrinkage), but is mostly "we don't know."  I'm going to wait a few years before I consider this one, but everybody has to make their own decision.  

http://www.splenda.com
http://www.holisticmed.com/splenda/
IP Logged
Roxy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 2nd, 2003, 2:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Doesn't trigger me, but then....not very much does.
IP Logged

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. (Einstein)

I used to have a handle on life....but it broke.
Lori
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 2nd, 2003, 3:05pm »

I've been doing the atkins diet too since Feb. and using nothing but splenda. Dr. Atkins says in his book it is the better (safest) sweetener to use vs. sugar or any of the others (like aspertame) My whole family uses it (even kids). I guess trying to avoid sweeteners/sweets/sugar is the best but if you have to use something, I am not too worried about splenda. As far as a trigger..couldn't tell ya. It hasn't triggered an attack in me but I'm not in cycle either. I don't really see myself as having triggers. When I'm in cycle, the Ha's just come. Good luck with Atkins. BTW, it brought my cholesterol down! I had really high chol. for 3 years and I was able to avoid being placed on medication by doiing atkins. It reallyy worked to bring down my cholesterol. Smiley  Smiley
IP Logged

Blessings and PFDAN,
Lori

Psalm 23:4 ~ Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 2nd, 2003, 6:20pm »

I have never used artificial sweeteners.  My cousin's wife had a horrible problem because of them.  This article is interesting.

http://www.321recipes.com/aspartame.html
IP Logged
Piglett1969

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 2nd, 2003, 10:20pm »

Lori:
Congrats on your lower cholesterol!  I don't think mine is that bad (I haven't had a check in quite some time), but I definitely don't mind if it drops.  My boyfriend is on Atkins too, and has lost about 27 lbs. in 8 weeks.

jammin

That actually brings up another question:  has anyone noticed a difference in their clusters (better, worse, etc.) after having lost weight?  I remember that several years back, I lost about 40 lbs. after my husband died, and right after that I had a HORRIBLE cluster cycle.  They were very frequent and very intense, complete with nausea and vomiting, which I hadn't ever had before then.  I'm really hoping that doesn't happen again.  Does anybody have any experience with this?

IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 4th, 2003, 12:02am »

Splenda doesn't effect me however aspartame will trigger a migraine for me.  My husband is doing adkins and has lost 30 pounds so far.  It has lowered his chloresteral also.  I lost 75 pounds and when I hit that weight loss level I started having cluster headaches for the first time ever.  It really creaped me out.  My dr thought that I must have done something to my metabolism and told me to stop dieting and to cool it for awhile.  Then a year latter it was determined that I had clusters after much testing.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
floridian

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 4th, 2003, 10:17am »

Quote:
has anyone noticed a difference in their clusters (better, worse, etc.) after having lost weight?  I remember that several years back, I lost about 40 lbs. after my husband died, and right after that I had a HORRIBLE cluster cycle.

I think one or two other people have talked about having more clusters after losing weight in recent threads (or was that you?).  Its possible, but I don't think it is generally recognized as an aggravator (atleast not yet).  Worth keeping an eye on - keep us posted.  Am trying to lose weight myself, we'll see what happens (what'll probably happen? I probably won't lose much weight ).   Sad
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss