Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 3:48pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Fresh Research - Verapamil »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Fresh Research - Verapamil
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Fresh Research - Verapamil  (Read 621 times)
floridian

Email

Fresh Research - Verapamil
« on: Dec 6th, 2003, 9:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Verapamil is the preventative of choice according to this article.  

The numbers of patients actually studied was small (12), and the statistics in the abstract look funny (comparing two different approaches (early treatment vs. late treatment, but the less effective late treatment was for a ten day course, while the more effective early course stopped the headaches in 20 days).  

Quote:
Schweiz Rundsch Med Prax. 2003 Nov 12;92(46):1951-3.  

Stallmach M.  Schmerzklinik Kirschgarten Basel.

Verapamil is the preventive therapy of choice for cluster headache. The recommended dose ranges from 240-720 mg/day. In a retrospective study nine patients with episodic and three patients with chronic cluster headache were analyzed. In episodic cluster headache early treatment onset stopped attacks within 20 days in 80%, late treatment onset was successful within ten days in 67%. Early treatment onset shortens episode duration by four times. The recommended dose is 360 mg/day. Chronic cluster headache probably requires higher doses.
IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

Re: Fresh Research - Verapamil
« Reply #1 on: Dec 6th, 2003, 11:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I see the date on that...I have read that same basic info in many different places.  Are they studying what is already known?

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
floridian

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 7th, 2003, 10:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

When a new abstract appears on Pubmed, I am posting it here under the "fresh research" header.  Sometimes the articles are overviews and just designed to educate doctors, nurses, or the general public. Sometimes the articles are a replication of other work (one 'rule' of science is that something has to be replicated by three different labs to be accepted).  Less frequently, the articles claim to find something new, or overturn old beliefs.   I'm not sure if this exact research has been published before, but the idea that verapamil is one of the better preventives (and maybe the best) is not new.
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2003, 10:35pm by floridian » IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 8th, 2003, 7:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thanks for the breakdown...   Grin

That makes sense to me.
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss