Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 10:34am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Tri-geminal Neuralgia »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Tri-geminal Neuralgia
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Tri-geminal Neuralgia  (Read 1949 times)
CJNine

Email

Tri-geminal Neuralgia
« on: Dec 7th, 2003, 5:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Anyone else been told that their CH is a form of Tri-gem Neuralgia?  Both neuros I've seen came up with similar comments; one saying that the tri-gem nerve, or one of its branches (sub orbital, supra orbital, and maxillary I believe it is - but could be wrong on that) is constantly kept excited (for reasons unknown) but just below pain threshold -- thus the CH trigger can be anything that excites the nerve over its pain threshold.  Does explain why many of us have such difficulty identifying a specific trigger - mine were all in the olfactory category but none were 100% triggers: nasal irritants, including dry weather (I live in Florida so dryness is unusual) for example.

Just curious,
CJ
IP Logged
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

Re: Tri-geminal Neuralgia
« Reply #1 on: Dec 7th, 2003, 7:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Nine, there's Trigemenal Neuralgia, that shows the pattern your neuro's told you about. It usually responds well to a.o. Tegretol.

Cluster headaches involve the same nerve to be sure,
but are different from Trig Neuralgia. For one they do not at all respond to TN-medication.

If a neuro tells you clusterheadache is a form of Trig N, hthey are wrong. If two neuro's tell you that they could be doubly wrong.

Same nerve, two different things.

The pain in your big toe may be caused by blisters, by corns or by breaking some of those little bones.  
Way different treatments.

IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
andy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 8th, 2003, 1:38am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

CJ, Trigeminal Neuralgia is totally different than CH. I have had both. TN is like a painful electric shock that shoots up your face causing pain worse than CH.

I havent had TN in 8 years.  
Tegritol was the greatest med in the world back then. I havent needed it for a long time.
But i still have CH, im in remission now since June 2003

Here is a good description of TN  http://gilberdyke.com/mytn/

I hope you dont have TN cuz that really sucks!!!!

Here is another good site  http://facial-neuralgia.org/default.htm

Im from the other coast of fl
 Welcome aboard
.............andy
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 8th, 2003, 2:22pm »

In the broadest sense, CH is a form of trigeminal nerve pain -   the term neuralgia is just medspeak for nerve pain.  Some use the term neuralgia to refer to spasms, but this is not universal.  But CH is a specific type of trigeminal pain, which has different causes and treatments than generic trigeminal neuralgia.
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2003, 2:26pm by floridian » IP Logged
CJNine

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 14th, 2003, 9:54am »

Thanks all.  Some good comments.  Helps me put what the neuros are saying into perspective.

Just to add, at the end of a pain even (you know, the ones where jumping off a bridge sounds like a good idea) I do indeed get the "electric shock" type pain, very faint, along my teeth on the side of my face affected by the CH.  Some sort of aftereffect maybe.

Regards, CJ
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss