Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 7:49pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « URGENT...expired Imitrex..need help now! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   URGENT...expired Imitrex..need help now!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: URGENT...expired Imitrex..need help now!  (Read 3384 times)
sheilacp
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

URGENT...expired Imitrex..need help now!
« on: Dec 11th, 2003, 11:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My poor hubby right now is the middle of a bad one...first damn one in over a year. Problem is that our Imitrex inject is over one year expired.  He's scared to death to try and take it, but this is a really bad one. Has anybody ever used expired Imitrex inject?

Urgent! Cry
IP Logged
BlueMeanie

Email

Re: URGENT...expired Imitrex..need help now!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11th, 2003, 11:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I've used Imitrex over a year old. Was kinda scared to try but the pain told me what the F..k so I did. Worked fine. Beast was gone 20 minutes later.
IP Logged
Flounder
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

sing sweet songs to rock my soul

« Reply #2 on: Dec 12th, 2003, 12:21am »

I have used expired Imitrex. Shouldn't be a problem. As I recall it was way over a year expired.
IP Logged
Edna
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 12th, 2003, 2:05am »

ditto......have used expired before

once spoke to a pharmacist friend....he said all he would think would be that it might lose some of its potency.

EDNA
IP Logged
Melissa

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 12th, 2003, 7:52am »

My very own Neuro gave me some imitrex samples that had expired the year before, so I see no problem at all using them.

Smileymel
IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 12th, 2003, 8:49am »

I have used old trex - had my girlfriend call the pharmacy first.  They said the only bad thing that can happen is, that you might not get the full dose.  I had no problem - mine was 2 years old because i skipped a cycle.  Don't worry.  Smiley
IP Logged
Cluster_head
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 12th, 2003, 11:19am »

The FDA establishes very conservative expiration guidelines for medication.  If it says it expires in a year,  it would probably be good two or three years later.

IP Logged

Tim

bamjd
New Board Newbie
USA 

the cluster head from HELL

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 12th, 2003, 4:47pm »

from what i have heard, it just loses some of its potentcy. I used to get on this site several years ago,but then i started taking 3 mega b stress timed release capsules a day and my clusters disappeared. i let a few people know and no one ever got back to me so i could see if it worked for them. i don't know if it makes any difference but mine were solaray brand. hope this helps, let me know.
IP Logged

May the best day of your past be the worst day of your future.
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 12th, 2003, 6:12pm »

If it were me, I'd use it.  I take cafergot that is more than 2 years past expiration.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 12th, 2003, 7:25pm »

Hi Sheilacp.  Your question is a common one.  Here's how I responded awhile back to the same question (I'm just gonna copy and past it from the archives because I'm getting too lazy in my old age  Smiley:

Imitrex expiration is a very common topic here.  If you're interested, here is how I explained it in the past based on my knowledge from working with drug product stability studies:  

To obtain FDA approval, drugs are tested for product stability.  To get approval, the drugs have to demonstrate product stability at least up to thier expiration date.  A comprehensive 3 year stability study may cost the drug company $1 million (but don't cry for the drug companies, because they make a killing in profits).  Speaking from experience, most drug companies don't pursue stability studies beyond 3 years, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the product is not good for longer than that.  The product may very well be good for much longer than that, but it doesn't do the drug companies much good investing that kind of money just to get a longer expiration date.    

Basically the expiration date means either:    

1.  The drug product will lose potency once the expiration date is exceeded.    

or    

2.  The drug company knows that the product is at least effective up to expiration date and didn't see a need to invest further simply to get a longer expiration.    

Personally, I would use expired imitrex if I needed to.  Most obvious down-side is that it might not be as potent.  Based upon what others have reported here on this message board, I'll bet that imitrex is very stable.  That's just my opinion, you may want to check the archives.  Of course, you should not take imitrex unless it is under the supervision of a physician.    

Certainly, I'm not advocating that you disobey your doc or take meds improperly, I'm just offering my perspective.  

Drug Product Stability study protocols are governed and influenced by the US Code of Federal Regulations Part 211 subpart G and the International Conference on Harmonization.  For more info:  

http://www.fda.gov/cder/dmpq/cgmpregs.htm#211.137  

http://www.fda.gov/cder/guidance/4282fnl.htm#P511_40316  

--- Steve
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
Mikey
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Rock till ya Drop and DON'T mess with the FAM!!!!!

MGuitarM
WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 15th, 2003, 12:03pm »

I've used a shit load of expired Trex, and i'm still here..LOL.....But really, i have......NO worries!

Mikey,  Grin
IP Logged

I love to ROCK very HARD!!!

CHRONIC and going crazy!! Want to come too?

Hope for PFDAN, peace and safety to you all!!
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

2008's my year to shine~SUN IS OUT!!!YAY

64720087 64720087   Reespirit   Ree16Angel
WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 16th, 2003, 6:37pm »

I asked this same question when my hubby started his cycle... He used it expired and all it worked like a charm... good luck..........ree
IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
sheilacp
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #12 on: Dec 16th, 2003, 8:10pm »

You all have been great - thanks!!  Hubby did indeed use the expired 'trex with no bad side effects.  (Although I don't think any side effects - no matter how "bad" could be worse than the Beast itself.)  We were hoping against hope that this might be a one-off, as hubby has had them like that in the past. Unfortunately, this is definately the beginning of a cycle.  He's tried a couple of things over the last few days, and so far he does OK by taking Melatonin about 45 mins before bed, then an Excedrine Migraine right before bed.  It could be a total coincidence, but so far so good. (I hope I didn't just jinx him!)  We've got to try something, 'cuz our insurance SUCKS and the 'trex is way too expensive for us.  He's tried O2 (which didn't do anything for him) and all the preventative stuff (which made him walk around like a zombie PLUS gave him terrible stomache problems).  We'll have to scrape together the $$, because if this cycle is as bad as his last one (3 or 4 beast visits a day) I'm seriously afraid that he'll hurt himself - and yes, I mean HURT himself. You all know what I'm talking about.

This totally sucks, and there is nothing we can do about it.  Thanks for listening.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss