Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 8:41am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Don't know if it's meds or time for it to go »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Don't know if it's meds or time for it to go
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Don't know if it's meds or time for it to go  (Read 500 times)
Orneryolefart
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Don't know if it's meds or time for it to go
« on: Dec 14th, 2003, 6:56am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I must be truly a rarity...over 70 yrs. old and still having CH's.  Been having them since 1959 but this is the first attack in 8 yrs.  Anyhow... was hospitalized about 2 weeks ago... took 2 demoral shots to get me down.  At discharge, Doc put me on 40 mg Prednisone and 900 mg Lithium Carbonate per day..for 5 days...reducing the Prednisone 10mg per day every 5 days.  Used Imitrex and oxygen for abortives.  Have now had 5 PF days and nights.  Don't know if it is one of the meds, both of the meds or whether it was time for the beast to leave.  Have reduced the Lithium to 600mg/ day.
     Orneryolefart
IP Logged

The Orneryolefart in Texas
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Don't know if it's meds or time for it to go
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14th, 2003, 8:08am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Appears that the Pred is working; it should abort the cycle very quickly. The idea is to give quick relief with the Pred. giving time for the Lithium to start working. (All of the meds used for preention take days to weeks to become effective.)

But the bottom line is that there are no clear clinical signs that an active period of attacks has ended--short of stopping the meds and seeing what happens. One of the enduring frustrations with cluster.

I suspect your doc will have to stay on the lithium for several months and then stop and watch.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss