Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 5:30am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Verapamil and alcohol »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Verapamil and alcohol
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Verapamil and alcohol  (Read 12664 times)
HoosierFan

Email

Verapamil and alcohol
« on: Dec 30th, 2003, 7:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi, I am newcomer to the site and a relative newcomer to the headaches as well.  I experienced my first cycle at age 34, and have now been PF for 6 days now with verapamil after about three weeks of headaches.

My question is regarding the interaction with alcohol and verapamil.  I think I read somewhere that you shouldn't take the medication with alcohol, but it doesn't say on the bottle.  I am by no means a big drinker, but I enjoy a drink now and then.  If I am going to be at  home, does anyone know of any adverse effects or anything I should worry about if I have a couple of beers?  I didn't have any around the time of the start of my cycle, so I don't think it is a "trigger" for me.
IP Logged
t_h_b
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

primary chronic since 1999

Re: Verapamil and alcohol
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30th, 2003, 8:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Good news!  The info that my insurance company's pharmacy sends says:

"Verapamil prolongs and intensifies the effects of alcohol in your system.  DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL (or very carefully limit) while you are using this medicine."

On the other hand, grapefruit juice may intensify the effectiveness of the verapamil.  

I guess if you take your verapamil with grapefruit juice and vodka, you get  a boost in the verapamil from the grapefruit juice and a boost in the alcohol from the verapamil.  

I don't know what effect the vodka and verapamil might have on the grapefruit juice.  Can't find anything about it.

So unless you have a severe reaction to grapefruit juice, this may be the perfect combination.

I have noticed that since I get drunk a lot quicker now when I do drink.  I had been attributing it to being out of practice.  Maybe it's the verapamil, or both?
IP Logged

No, it's not a headache--it's a Stage Ten Primary Chronic Periodic Idiopathic Trigeminovascular Cephalalgic Crisis.
jonny

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 30th, 2003, 8:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

29 yrs chronic and have been taking 480 mgs everyday for over a decade......I drink lots of beer, I dont drive when I drink so there has been no problem for over ten years and no side effects.....(Yet.....LMAO Grin)

.........................................jonny
IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 30th, 2003, 10:17pm »

on Dec 30th, 2003, 7:21pm, HoosierFan wrote:
so I don't think it is a "trigger" for me.  

Only one way to find out for sure...   Grin

Alcohol + verapamil doesn't seem to cause me any problems.
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
violet
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 30th, 2003, 10:23pm »

I guess it depends on the person.  I stay away from alcohol completely as it is a trigger for my headaches.  But when I was still trying to drink, it seemed that the Verapamil and the alcohol did not get along well..
Vi
IP Logged
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

« Reply #5 on: Dec 31st, 2003, 10:41am »

Alcohol was never a trigger for me and when I was on vera, I took my usual drinks. No problem.

IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss