Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 1st, 2024, 6:41am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « MigreLief.. has anyone else tried this? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   MigreLief.. has anyone else tried this?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: MigreLief.. has anyone else tried this?  (Read 17474 times)
thearoom
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

MigreLief.. has anyone else tried this?
« on: Dec 31st, 2003, 4:41am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello all
 I'm new to the board.  
  I started getting headaches a few months ago. On one side behind the eye and ear and back of head. They lasted for hours with no relief. I didnt know what to do.
  My MRI was normal. I've been to a few doctors and was prescibed the usuall meds Amitrex etc. tried them all and they helped but temporary. and they pretty much knocked me out.  
  I then did some research and found MigreLief. I've been taking this Herb for a few months and amazinglly enough my headaches are all but gone. When I ran out and stopped they came right back. I'm back on it now and I plan on keeping a good supply.
  Here is the link  It takes a good month before any results but it was a miricle for me.
 Has anyone heard about this or tried it?
 Another question
 Just recently I discoverd a ringing in my ears
. This is new. Has anyone gotten this in cunjuntion with the head aches or is this something new?   Thanks    Quantum MigreLief
http://www.quantumhealth.com/productgroups/migraine.asp
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2003, 4:56am by thearoom » IP Logged
HannahFroukje
New Board Veteran
Netherlands 

Let's try and find some ANSWERS!

Email

Re: MigreLief.. has anyone else tried this?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31st, 2003, 5:01am »

I've heard of these herbs in cases of migraine. I can see why riboflavin would do something (vit.B). I wouldn't expect though that it aborts clusters, but it might have a soothing effect when you take it inbetween cycles in ample supplies.

We didn't try feverfew ourselves, because we tried other herbs (to abort the cycle) and that didn't work, so we got off the herb subject. We tried magnesium too, that didn't do anything for Jos, but for other CH-heads it did.
IP Logged
t_h_b
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

primary chronic since 1999

« Reply #2 on: Dec 31st, 2003, 6:56am »

Tinnitus can be a sign of toxic levels of medications.  (Aspirin comes to mind.)  

You need to let you neuro or other MD know about it immediately.

Mauskop is my neuro and he put me on magnesium but didn't mention riboflavin or feverfew or MigraLief so maybe it is more effective for migraines than clusters.  Certainly he doesn't lump clusters with migraines .  I have an appointment in a week so if I remember I'll ask him.
IP Logged

No, it's not a headache--it's a Stage Ten Primary Chronic Periodic Idiopathic Trigeminovascular Cephalalgic Crisis.
floridian

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 31st, 2003, 9:40am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

One thought - the parthenolide in feverfew can change blood vessel tone (this is probably how it helps with clusters).  If you have been taking feverfew for a long period, it could have clamped the arteries down a notch, leading to tinnitus.  

How's your blood pressure??

« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2003, 9:52am by floridian » IP Logged
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

« Reply #4 on: Dec 31st, 2003, 10:39am »

Thearoom,

correct me if I am wrong, but aren't you talking about a migraine relief medication?

Did anybody diagnose you for clusters?
Did you do the cluster quiz and found cluster headache fits you?

There is some overlap between meds and herbs that help with migraines, and with clusters, but the two complaints are widely different and so are most of the reliefs and meds.

Not a warning you need, you seem to have found your cure. But diagnosed cluster patients, don't get your hopes up too soon.

IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
thomas

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 31st, 2003, 10:59am »

Haven't tried it because it's not called clustalief.  LMMFAO laugh
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 31st, 2003, 11:10am »

People think of feverfew as a migraine medicine, but that is a mental construct that is at best arbitrary, and possibly limiting.  Clusters respond (to varying degrees) to migraine medicines (triptans etc), anti-siezure medications (topiramate), medications for bipolar depression (lithium), blood pressure medicines (verapamil), antihistamines (loratidine, ketotifen), anti-inflammitory steroids (prednisone), and atypical benzodiazepine drugs (mirtazapine).  We don't fit neatly in any box, but we are closest to migraines.  

The name feverfew refers to its original use, the ability to break a fever ("febrifuge").  Feverfew is a powerful anti-inflammitory that supresses several interleukins (including IL-1, IL-4, IL-12), COX-2 enzyme (as does Celebrex), gamma-interferon, and tumor necrosis factor.  It also reduces the reactivity of smooth muscle in arteries.
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2003, 11:43am by floridian » IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 31st, 2003, 11:34am »

Just making a wise crack Floridian.  Don't take it the wrong way, I'm a big kidder.  Sometimes it's good to laugh.
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 31st, 2003, 11:39am »

Your Santa smiley shoulda been my first clue!  Actually, I was responding to Ave's post, and didn't see yours until after I posted.  Ave was right to question if the person has been diagnosed with clusters - people do show up on the board who misdiagnose themselves with clusters, so its good to ask. But I would differ from her implication that feverfew is just a migraine medicine, or that clusters are completely distinct from migraines (they are different, but there is some overlap in the disorders and treatments (triptans, magnesium, etc).  To be clear, feverfew hasn't been proven on clusters, either.  But it is a candidate with some theoretical potential.  

Humor, Thomas??  Bah Humbug  Roll Eyes   Happy New Year to all!!  Have fun, be safe.
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2003, 11:52am by floridian » IP Logged
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

psiloscribe   pinkshroomrat
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 31st, 2003, 1:27pm »

on Dec 31st, 2003, 11:10am, floridian wrote:
 It also reduces the reactivity of smooth muscle in arteries.

There were also some old reports of smooth muscle damage caused by feverfew.  
Not knocking it, just interjecting. Anyways, I don't think ANY of my muscles are smooth anymore!!  Cry

PF
(a good example of the difference between taking a "advertisment post" and beginning a discussion vs. a flame out  Wink )
IP Logged

"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."
"There is no passion so contagious as that of fear."
[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
www.obscuredview.blogspot.com
floridian

Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 31st, 2003, 2:51pm »

Quote:
There were also some old reports of smooth muscle damage caused by feverfew

I've seen some research showing an "irreversible" inhibition of smooth muscle activity. Most of these were conducted on surgically removed aortic rings of rabbits, so it was irreversible over the course of a few hours or days (or as long as the isolated tissue can be kept alive and functional).  It also involved applying large amounts of purified parthenolide directly, which may or may not model what really happens.  Toxicity in humans taking a normal therapeutic dose is a possibility, but hasn't been reported AFAIK.  

The Physician's Desk Reference has a brief write up on feverfew (http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/nmdrugprofiles/herbaldrugs/101120.sht ml)  
that doesn't mention this as a problem or potential problem - they mention skin reactions, and that approximately 10% of people experience withdrawal symptoms.  They also focus on feverfew as an antiinflammitory, antispasmodic, and regulator of serotonin processes. The last mode of action is consistent with a withdrawl reaction (as with many SSRIs), and so are the symptoms ("headaches, insomnia, muscle stiffness, joint pain, fatigue, nervousness, and tension" - sounds like fibromyalgia or Paxil withdrawl).  Also not advised for pregnant/nursing women nor children under 2 years of age.  

Quote:
a good example of the difference between taking a "advertisment post" and beginning a discussion vs. a flame out

I think the flaming was avoided because Thearoom (the poster) raised the issue of side effects, and even the possibility that he was experiencing them.  That is clearly not the sign of a huckster trying to push a product - it is the profile of a clusterhead that wants honest discussion.  And maybe holiday cheer was a factor.  But it is nicer, I agree.
IP Logged
thearoom
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #11 on: Dec 31st, 2003, 4:02pm »

hello everyone
Wow that was allot of quick responses.  
  I am a true sufferer.
  I was starting to get a little worried the down side of taking this stuff but as we all know while its happening it doesn’t matter how we get relief at the time.
   I have been told by a few Doctors i have Migraine/cluster headaches. It’s hard to get a straight answer from these people. But I’m telling you this stuff helped me. It took a few weeks to kick in.  
  Has anyone tried this actual product.? I’m curious and concerd. After I found it my neurologist took out a package of this stuff and said I should try it. I told him I was already on it.
\  I'm told it's just an herb and can't really harm you. I would hate to think it could because it saved my life thus far so go easy on me.  
  Would love to hear from people who actually have taken this for a few months.  
  The ringing in ears started after I ran out and started again. I also came down with a head cold so maybe one has nothing to do with the other.
 Ok thanks  
 Steve
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 31st, 2003, 4:23pm »

Quote:
I'm told it's just an herb and can't really harm you.

I am a fan of herbs, but I don't believe they are without side effects.  Overall, many herbs are safe and effective, but most things have a down side, even if it is minor.  And nicotine, morphine, and ephedrine are all herbal drugs.  

Tinnitus can have many causes - mine is from a jaw injury, and I can make it really loud by clenching my jaw.  A sinus or ear infection or blocked eustachian tubes could be a factor.  

Another problem with cluster headaches is that they come and go with a mysterious rhythm.  Sometimes people try something, and the headaches are gone. They attribute the improvement to the treatment, but it could just be the passage of time.  You said it took a month to kick in (which is true for feverfew and migraines) - it could be the feverfew, or maybe it was the headaches just ending?  If I were you, I would keep up the feverfew for a week or two, and then start again next year, a few weeks before the clusters happened.  My clusters are every summer like clockwork (July and August). Other people get them in the winter.  Some of us are chronic.  Some people are episodic, but don't have a favorite time of the year. Its a complicated disease, with no easy answers.  But go with what seems to work for you.  If it works again, great.  If it doesn't, try something else, but you can deal with that later if you need to.  

A couple of questions - when you say the headaches last for hours at a time, are there breaks in that period?  Most cluster sufferers don't experience one long headache - it is usually a swarm of several headaches that may last 15 minutes to 1.5 hours each (but a few people have long continuous headaches).   And how is your blood pressure??  It probably is ok, but high blood pressure can cause tinnitus, and if the feverfew did change your blood vessel tone, you might want to stop taking it.  
IP Logged
thearoom
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #13 on: Jan 1st, 2004, 4:11am »

Blood presure was fine last time. I go to the nurologist in two weeks and he'll check it again.  
  Yes my headaches used to last a few hours non stop. I don't have any flashing lights or other Migraine symptoms thats why the Doc said it sounds more like C.H.  but also Migraine. I havent gotten a great answer from anyone  yet.  
  The Herb I'm taking is specific brand that has a 3 herb system specific for Migraine. But I can't tell you enough the relief. I know when I ran out it started up again.    The ringing is a new thing.  I think I have a head cold that attributed to the ear thing.....I hope.  
 So my original question, Has anyone tried the actual thing I take "Migrilief" not just parts of the Herb thats in it but the actual Migralief pill?
 thanks for all the responce. This is a bran new problem for me and I fear I will never have a complete answer. I am a 39 year male. very healthy before this. It just started up after a long period of some stress. But the stress is over and the problem remains.
 Steve
IP Logged
HannahFroukje
New Board Veteran
Netherlands 

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 1st, 2004, 4:49am »

Tearoom, if you're worried about the possible side effects, perhaps it's a possibility for you to switch to melatonine for a while (if that helps, it doesn't help all CH-heads, but quite a few), and then see if the ringing goes away or not.  

You can find info on melatonine in the medications section, there's a few threads on it. Over there you can also find a lot of other info. I don't have any info myself on combining feverfew and melatonine.

I don't want to be a bore, but I think taking some extra vitamine B-complex is a very wise thing to do for clusterheads, to make sure you don't have a lack there, since vitamine B is needed for the processes around serotonine.

But I'm sure Floridian knows a lot more about that. I've sorted it out ... and then forgot how it was exactly  Grin
IP Logged
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

« Reply #15 on: Jan 1st, 2004, 6:04pm »

Thearoom, please do the cluster quiz (under the button on the left).

The remedies and meds we talk about here may help with migraines but also may not. We tend to look at our own ailment first and foremost.

Do you wake from a deep sleep in pain? Do the attacks come like clockwork? Does your eye on the affected side tear, does your nose get stuffy, do your teeth ache?

That is just for instance. Good treatment is based on the right diagnose.
So do find out what it is that is hurting you.
IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
slimslash
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #16 on: Jan 4th, 2004, 8:15pm »

i have pills which are prescription only called migril which you can take 6 in any 7 days they will prevent a headache for that day but will be back it is hard to decide which day not to take one but they will relieve the pain in 15 to 20 minutes if head ache has started. i cant believe no one seems to know about these as any other pills do not work for me.
IP Logged
Nimbus
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #17 on: Jan 4th, 2004, 9:41pm »

Hi Thearoom!

I'm happy to hear that someone finally got someting that work for him!  I don't want to bash anyone but beleive me, it's hard for me to take that seriously.  It's not because of you but you see I can't count the times I've been let down by someone who sell herbal products or reffer to a seller. Usually the seller/refferer tells he *probably* suffer from cluster headache (but it always remain vague, like you ask questions and he can't seem to answer straight... never a yes or no or it's out of their hand).
But the product is always a miracle in their mouth but a big letdown in our hands.  Still, the cash is flowing.

Please note that I'm not saying that you are a liar or anything like that.  I just hope you're not raising false hopes based on a misdiagnosed conditions like so many did by the past.    
I will ask my neuro about that next time I see him.  

Wish you a PF good time!
IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #18 on: Jan 4th, 2004, 10:25pm »

Slimslash

People probably have heard of Migril but for the following reasons wouldn't bother with it:

It is orally administered and therefore too slow to take effect for full scale Ch attacks.
It is predominantly ergotamine, which the UK experts including Prof Goadsby do not recommend as being a meaningful treatment for most  CH sufferers.

You say that no other pills work for you. What pills do you mean? If you read about CH here or on the OUCH UK site(www.clusterheadaches.org.uk) you will find that almost none of the recommended abortive treatments for CH are pills at all.
Have you had a CH diagnosis from a GP or neuro? If so, they would probably be prescribing things for you other than pills e.g. Imigran nasal or injections, 02 etc

Wendy
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2004, 3:31am by pubgirl » IP Logged
thearoom
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #19 on: Jan 5th, 2004, 1:43am »

As I said in  previous post. I go to a Neuro. I've been to a GP at first. He put me on Zomig Amitrex and a few others. All pills helped but knocked me out. They were not good in the sense that the stopped the pain but I was to tired to do much else and I had to take them again. Every other day.    And were very costly. The pain used to wake me up in the night. Pain was by the left eye. Extreme pain, but no tearing in the eye, Just pain. I took the quiz I've spoke with allot of people. What I have seams to fall through the cracks of Migraines and my DR say much like CH. Like I said the MIGRILEAF was not an instant fix but kicked in after a few weeks? Now after 3 months I'm cutting back to half and things seam ok.    
 You know folks this "Product" I'm telling you about is only $25 a bottle. I hardly think anyone is getting rich off it. I'm not telling anyone to run out and buy it.
 I don’t own the company or anything.
 I thought some people had already been down this rout and had some response.
But if anyone does give it a shot. Let me know how it works
Good luck all.
IP Logged
t_h_b
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #20 on: Jan 5th, 2004, 9:27pm »

I asked Dr. Mauskop about Migralief for CH this morning.  He said that it hadn't been scientifically studied for use with clusters because CH are so rare.  He said it wouldn't hurt but  didn't indicate that he believed that it would particularly help and didn't say anything to make me think that he recommends it for CH.  (He does have me on one of the ingredients, magnesium.)  

There are so many medications and treatments, almost all of which help some people sometimes and absolutely none of which help everyone all of the time.  It is frustrating.

Perhaps OUCH could put together a list of recommended meds in order of the percentage of people that the meds help with ratings  for effectiveness that is more complete than that given by the survey results and more qualitative than that under the meds link to the left.  That way new Clusterheads could start at the top and work their way down and experienced Clusterheads could make sure they hadn't overlooked anything.  

A flow chart to help physicians and patients to find effective treatment might be useful as well.  For instance, perhaps every new clusterhead should try verapamil, oxygen and Imitrex unless something is contraindicated.  Perhaps every clusterhead should try melatonin even though it might help only a small percentage because of its effectiveness when it does work.  If the verapamil doesn't work, the next med should be x and if the Imitrex doesn't work the next med should be y.

We need to be more proactive about educating physicians about the diagnosis and treatment of CH so that people don't go undiagnosed and/or improperly treated.
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2004, 9:28pm by t_h_b » IP Logged

No, it's not a headache--it's a Stage Ten Primary Chronic Periodic Idiopathic Trigeminovascular Cephalalgic Crisis.
BlueMeanie

Email

« Reply #21 on: Jan 6th, 2004, 1:58am »

Thearoom,

I haven't tried Migrelief so i cannot give you an answer on that. A point to consider though:

I am episodic which means I get varying cycles throughout each year. Sometimes fall, sometimes, summer. Once in awhile just a random couple week cycle in spring or summer.  

You say after a month or two your headaches ended. My headaches most every time end in a month or two. Then eventually come back. Maybe your cycle just ended and you thought it was the Migrelief.

I say that because over the last 25 years there has been MANY meds that I thought was the magic cure to find out it didn't work next time around.

Don't get me wrong. I am not bashing your positive pain free relief. That is great it is working for you. Just wanted to tell you my experience.
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2004, 2:01am by YOSIMITE » IP Logged
HannahFroukje
New Board Veteran
Netherlands 

Email

« Reply #22 on: Jan 6th, 2004, 3:23am »

on Jan 5th, 2004, 9:27pm, t_h_b wrote:
Perhaps OUCH could put together a list of recommended meds in order of the percentage of people that the meds help with ratings  for effectiveness that is more complete than that given by the survey results and more qualitative than that under the meds link to the left.  That way new Clusterheads could start at the top and work their way down and experienced Clusterheads could make sure they hadn't overlooked anything.

This was what I would like to try and do in the link "putting together a list". But perhaps it´s best to approach people personally, a lot would not see the link.

To be able to help more people in the future I think it´s important to know also the smaller things, that have helped only a few people. Everyone is different ...
IP Logged
t_h_b
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #23 on: Jan 6th, 2004, 6:48am »

It needs to be relatively scientific.  The survey is good in that it rates treatments by both how many people a treatment helps and how effective it is for them.  One problem is that clusterheads who find effective treatment might not be around to answer surveys.
IP Logged

Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #24 on: Jan 6th, 2004, 7:07am »

Hi...just thought I'd add my   twocents here. Smiley

I had heard about migralief on a migraine board as my NDPH very much resembles a chronic daily migraine disorder.  So I went to the drugstore, and I bought a bottle of what is basically the same thing under a different label...it is called MigraHealth.  Each pill contained 100mg VitB2, 150mg Magnesium, and 50mg Feverfew.  You were to take 2 a day.

I asked around and got feedback on the product, both from some nurses and from others who had tried it for various things.  First of all, if a neuro puts you on magnesium, the dose is usually much higher than 300mg a day, so that may be a shortcoming with the migrahealth.  I used to take 400mg of B2, but I have heard people taking 200mg, so that part of it shouldn't really be a problem.  And then the feverfew...I called my neuro's office to find out a little more about that.  They said they do have the product, but they are reluctant to use it much because of the long term side effects of such a high dose of feverfew.  

Now, some people may be just fine on it, but it does have an anticoagulant, blood thinner component to it.  Were you ever to need emergency surgery or something like that (Heaven Forbid!), the high levels of feverfew could cause problems.  Once I heard that, I stopped taking it.

Also, if you are interested in taking all of the supplements or even just B2 and magnesisum...to buy them separately (depending on where you are getting this migralief) is actually cheaper than buying the supplement itself.  I know that if my neuro wants me to take the B2 and magnesium, I will just go back to purchasing vitamin bottles.  Yea, it's another pill or two to swallow, but I feel it might just be a tad more cost effective and a little safer than the migralief or migrahealth.

This is all very unscientific, so take what you will from it!  I had just gotten interested in looking into it about a month and a half ago, and so I started asking questions and trying to learn a little more about it.  Hope any of this helps!  Take care and PF!!!
~Lizzie Smiley
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss