Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 1st, 2024, 8:31am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Gamma Knife Surgery on Trigeminal Nerve »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   Gamma Knife Surgery on Trigeminal Nerve
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Gamma Knife Surgery on Trigeminal Nerve  (Read 990 times)
Luanne
New Board Newbie
USA 

Gamma Knife Surgery on Trigeminal Nerve
« on: Jan 3rd, 2004, 4:18am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My neurologist wants me to see a neurosurgeon, Dr. Brent Morgan, Dallas, Texas.  I know nothing about this Gamma Knife surgery and was wondering if anyone out there has had it done, gotten any relief and/or side effects, or knows anything about Dr. Morgan.

Another quick inquiry if I may -- Is anyone familiar with a Dallas,, Texas Headache Doc named Jean Claude Krusz (my spelling may be off a little).

Thank you everyone!  Whenever I come home to the board again I feel so comforted by all of you THANKS!!
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: Gamma Knife Surgery on Trigeminal Nerve
« Reply #1 on: Jan 3rd, 2004, 4:54am »

This is only my opinion, and I'm not a doctor.........

Don't do it.

Others have reported having surgery for clusters and it worked

for a little while. Then they had a numb, saggy face and the cluster pain returned.

Click on the blue below, read through it. Only you can decide if you want to take such a chance.

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/wwwboard/messages/74124.html
Rodger Griffin (1-11-01, Stereotactic Radio Frequency Rhizotomy)  

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/wwwboard/messages/100398.html
Margi (7-12-01) list of posts about NOT having surgery

http://www.allsands.com/Misc1/gammakniferadi_uux_gn.htm
describes Gamma Knife Radiosurgery
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
notseinfeld
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Enough is Enough.        Vote Libertarian

krilldocument  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 3rd, 2004, 12:51pm »

Bob, those links are about 2 years old. Do you think, or know, if there has been any improvement in the process during the past 2 years?  

Seems a better option to me than putting the electrodes in the hypo with invasive surgery or a messy shotgun to the head. All are desperate measures for desperate people.  

As an aside, I'm going for a consult with the actual radiation Dr at Piedmont hospital here in Atlanta. I'll be requesting any and all data that they have and will post here on the board as soon as I get it. May even get some fax numbers for folks who would like to know more.

TIA--nots
IP Logged

-----------Democracy is three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner. ---------------------
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 3rd, 2004, 1:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Luanne

I may be very wrong here, but I certainly would do some more extensive reading about the various surgical procedures being advocated for CH before you go ahead with ANYTHING (there are some old threads here about all of them e.g. ONSI) also the information pasted below from the Rome Conference last September may be of use:

Surgery
For patients who do not respond to treatment of any kind, this would be a last resort.  Prior to surgery, they should be assessed on their emotional and psychological stability.  

Radiofrequency, Trigem Rhizologysis (safe, simple, light anaesthesia, rapid recovery, day surgery, easily repeated)    125 have had it done over 20 years.  71% had excellent results.  15% ‘Good’, 8% ‘Fair’, 13% ‘Poor’ (latter due usually to a technical problem)

Brain Implants.   (Still high risk.  Dr Bussone to take platform and speak about Deep Brain Stimulation later on)

and

Dr Gennaro Bussone, (Milan).   Deep Brain Stimulation in the treatment of Chronic CH.   Results and Prospects.   Talked about/showed data of Deep Brain Stimulation on Chronic pain in other parts of the brain.  PET scans showed level of activity in hypothalamus grey matter during a CH attack.   MRI showed altered neuranal density in the same area that was voxal based.    He said that Deep Brain Stimulation is already successful in other deep brain structures/conditions (such as Parkinson’s).  He went on to say that about 10% of Chronic CHers were not responsive to any type of medication, and this was a major problem.   In these cases, they have no choice but to consider neuro surgery.

One case he spoke about was a 39 yo male with CCH for five years.  90% of attacks on the right side, rest on the left.     After 4 trigeminal lesion, right side attacks dropped.  Left side attacks worsened and were intractable to drugs.  Performed Deep Brain Stimulator Operation. Within ten months of operation, free from all left hand attacks.   No side effects.  Switched off stimulator, pain back.  Switched it on again, pain gone.  In December 2000, his attacks returned on the right side.   Decided to do a second operation on the right hand side in May 2001.   One year later, he looks well and is free from all CH attacks.

Four more operations carried out in last few months.   Took 1 – 2 months to take effect.   Only three patients needed Verapamil, other patient free from attacks.  All four were able to continue normal lives after the operation.  He said that DBS operations were extremely effective and if necessary, if pain switches sides, it can be performed again on the other side.  Dr Bussone said that further research into DBS was needed as the mechanisms behind chronic pain was still unclear.

-
« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2004, 1:31pm by pubgirl » IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 3rd, 2004, 5:04pm »

All I know is I would try shrooms before I had someone cut into my head, until you have exhausted all types of NON-INVASIVE therapies, stay AWAY from the knife..
IP Logged
forgetfulnot

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 3rd, 2004, 5:39pm »

Thomas, Gamma Knife is non-invasive, I.E. no cuts, no scars. It is focused radiation. Only the worst of cases should take this route, as there is some irreversible nerve damage reported by some. I suggest everyone try shrooms B-4 any kind of surgery. I almost had the Gamma Knife procedure, now Im glad I didn’t.

Lee Wink
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2004, 1:43pm by forgetful » IP Logged
JDH
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

We will get by, We will survive!

simnjue2u
Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 3rd, 2004, 10:41pm »

on Jan 3rd, 2004, 5:04pm, thomas wrote:
All I know is I would try shrooms before I had someone cut into my head, until you have exhausted all types of NON-INVASIVE therapies, stay AWAY from the knife..

Ditto!

Jim
IP Logged

9-11-01, to remember is to honor.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

ECH established 1985
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Jan 4th, 2004, 5:46am »

on Jan 3rd, 2004, 12:51pm, notseinfeld wrote:
Bob, those links are about 2 years old. Do you think, or know, if there has been any improvement in the process during the past 2 years?  

As an aside, I'm going for a consult with the actual radiation Dr at Piedmont hospital here in Atlanta. I'll be requesting any and all data that they have and will post here on the board as soon as I get it. May even get some fax numbers for folks who would like to know more.

TIA--nots

No, not that I know of but I have not been keeping up with that stuff lately. I am interested in what Unsolved will learn and/or experience with the Stimulator.  
Please let us know what you learn at Piedmont.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 4th, 2004, 12:08pm »

on Jan 3rd, 2004, 5:04pm, thomas wrote:

Please try everything else first, Thomas is right.  Try the mushroom therapy, it actually works.  Anything before having someone cut on your melon.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss