Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 1st, 2024, 7:23am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Non-drug Therapies »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   Non-drug Therapies
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Non-drug Therapies  (Read 600 times)
ClusterRob
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Non-drug Therapies
« on: Jan 3rd, 2004, 5:45am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm seeking info on non-drug therapies, things that have worked for other CH sufferers.  I've read some posts on melatonin and I'm going to give it a try.  Does anyone know of anything else?

I'm new to this website and this is my first post so I'll give a little background info.  I've been suffering from episodic CH for 15 years.  I was 14 when I suffered my first CH.  My symptoms are classical.  For most of the first 12 years of getting CH I would have 2 clusters per year, spring and fall.  Most of my headaches were between 8:00-10:00 a.m or early evening.  Until my current cluster I was almost never woken by a CH.  No one in my family suffers from CH but several members have migraine.    

Because of my profession I've been extremely reluctant to see an MD about my CH and I'm unable to take most meds.  Three years ago I went for the first time and was prescribed prednisone.  About a week after taking it I went from 2 CH per day to 1, but I can't say for sure it was the med or just my normal cycle.  

Some thing that has worked for me; three years ago following a cluster I decided to change my eating habits and increase my overall health.  By changing my diet I found that I felt much better and I subsequently went 3 years without a cluster!  I highly recommend it to anyone.  I'd be happy to share the details if someone is intersted.

I'm guessing that my current cluster may have been brought on by a 6 week trip that took me 9 timezones away from home.  If anyones has some insight please let me know.   I have to go back in a few months.  

It's nice to know that I'm not alone in this.  Also, my heart goes out to the chronic sufferers.  
IP Logged
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

Re: Non-drug Therapies
« Reply #1 on: Jan 3rd, 2004, 6:11am »

Rob,

here's a link to the OUCH resources page

http://www.clusterheadaches.org/resources/index.htm

I would also recommend you check out the whole of the OUCH board (link on the left). There is a lot of information there.

Also, check out oxygen (the link on the left). It is a good abortive, though of course it does not work for some.

IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: Non-drug Therapies
« Reply #2 on: Jan 3rd, 2004, 7:07am »

Hello C'Rob. Welcome to the board.  

First therapy....read everything under the buttons on the left side of your screen.

Second therapy....Go to the OUCH site (under the yellow button on the left side of your screen. Join OUCH and read everything there.

When you're all done reading, about six weeks from now, you'll probably not be getting any more headaches.
 Grin just kiddin'ya.

Prednisone has been used by many people here to break a cluster cycle. It may very well have helped you.

Non-drug help? Try the waterX3 tip under the button on the left side of your screen. Many use ice packs on the face/jaw/neck. If ice doesn't help try heat packs. Dramamine will allow you to sleep without entering the REM stage when most attacks happen. Try sleeping with your head elevated or in a sitting up position. Vigorous excersise during an attack helps some people. And ave is right about the oxygen. It is about the most popular, cheapest and safe non-drug abortive you will find.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss