Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 1st, 2024, 6:03am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « A kinder, gentler, CH treatment. »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   A kinder, gentler, CH treatment.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: A kinder, gentler, CH treatment.  (Read 887 times)
CJohnson
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Cannot kill the family, Battery is found in me

Email

A kinder, gentler, CH treatment.
« on: Jan 6th, 2004, 12:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

If, in fact, circadian rhythm dysfunction is at the root of CH and proper manipulation of the circadian rhythm can prevent or halt cycles, then the following seems pretty interesting.

Journal of Neuroendocrinology
Volume 15 Issue 4 Page 438  - April 2003
doi:10.1046/j.1365-2826.2003.01006.x
 Optimization of Light and Melatonin to Phase-Shift Human Circadian Rhythms

Both light and melatonin, appropriately timed, have been shown to phase-shift human circadian rhythms. In addition, both light and melatonin have acute physiological and behavioural effects. Depending on the dose, melatonin can reduce core body temperature and induce sleepiness. Conversely, light at night increases body temperature and enhances alertness and performance. The acute and phase-shifting effects of light and melatonin have justified their investigation and use in the treatment of circadian rhythm sleep disorders. Melatonin is the treatment of choice for blind people with non-24 h sleep/wake disorder. Current research is directed towards optimizing these therapies with respect to time of administration, dose and formulation of melatonin, intensity, duration and spectral composition of light. Our studies in totally blind people with non-24 h sleep/wake disorder have shown that, in addition to improving sleep, daily administration of melatonin can entrain their free-running circadian rhythms. The ability of melatonin to entrain free-running rhythms depends, in part, on the time of melatonin administration relative to the subject's circadian phase. Subjects who were entrained by melatonin began their treatment in the phase advance portion (CT 6-1Cool of the published melatonin phase-response curves (PRCs), whereas those who failed to entrain began their melatonin treatment in the delay portion of the PRC. Whether the effect of light on the human circadian axis can be optimized by altering its spectral composition has been investigated. Recently, it was demonstrated that light-induced melatonin suppression in humans is sensitive to short wavelength light (420-480 nm; max approximately 460 nm), a response very different to the classical scotopic and photopic visual systems. Whether other nonvisual light responses (e.g. circadian phase resetting) show a similar spectral sensitivity is currently being studied.

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/links/doi/10.1046/j.1365-2826.2003.0100 6.x/abs/

PFDANs
-Curtis
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2004, 12:33pm by CJohnson » IP Logged

Through water and fire. From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak, I fought the Beast. Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
floridian

Email

Re: A kinder, gentler, CH treatment.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 6th, 2004, 1:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Melatonin and light therapy - its all in the timing!

Any body know which way their clocks switch in cycle?  Do you run early or late?  And exactly when should light or melatonin be adminstered to normalize the rhythms?  Given at the wrong time, light or melatonin could concievably make things worse.  

I'm guessing my clock runs ahead, as I wake up earlier and earlier right before a cycle.  

This abstract found that heart rate circadian cycles were shifted 1 hour (but no word on which direction!!) in the active phase of clusters.  

Clin Auton Res. 1993 Oct;3(5):291-8.  Imbalance of heart rate regulation in cluster headache as based on continuous 24-h recordings.  Micieli G, Cavallini A, Bosone D, Tassorelli C, Barzizza F, Rossi F, Nappi G.

This abstract also mentions a shift in circadian cycles, but no word on which direction or how much.  

Headache. 2002 Feb;42(2):125-31.   Impaired circadian rhythmicity of nociceptive reflex threshold in cluster headache.   Nappi G, Sandrini G, Alfonsi E, Cecchini AP, Micieli G, Moglia A.
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2004, 1:43pm by floridian » IP Logged
violet
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 6th, 2004, 1:52pm »

I recently moved from the west coast time to the east coast time, So i go to bed about 3-4 hours earlier than I used to, and now I'm having more clusters at night.  I wonder if there is a connection.
Vi
IP Logged
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

« Reply #3 on: Jan 6th, 2004, 2:06pm »

Quote:
If, in fact, circadian rhythm dysfunction is at the root of CH

Yessss.... no..... I have been circadial disfunctional all my life, as far as I can see. As a 5 yr. old, not sleeping, lying awake for hours - and the pattern never changes substantially over the years.

But I have not have had clusters all my life.

The best we can argue is predisposition,  I'll grant you that.
IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
CJohnson
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 6th, 2004, 3:05pm »

on Jan 6th, 2004, 2:06pm, ave wrote:

The best we can argue is predisposition,  I'll grant you that.

I'll say. Its hard to find any literature about cluster headaches which doesn't point to circadian pacemaking mechanisms, or some aspect thereof, as being key aspects of CH.  

PFDANs
-Curtis
IP Logged

Through water and fire. From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak, I fought the Beast. Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
BillyJ.

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 7th, 2004, 1:34am »

Just my opinion but,I think that heart rate,blood presure
sleep cycles,mood cycles,mood disorders,just to name a
few,are all controlled by the hypothalimus.
  I think that if a study was done of CHers of all the things
controlled by the clock that you would find a very high %
of multiple abnormallitties.
   This means (to me) that they are co-occurrances and
treating one is not going to treat the others.I feal that  
they are all controlled by the 'clock'(at least thats the theory) So what controls the clock?
IP Logged
Killroy 2.0
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kilroy 2.0 is Here! Kilroy 2.0 is Everywhere!

gmlevenhagen  
Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 7th, 2004, 10:20am »

This is a great post really got me thinking Undecided

I have spring/summer clusters - days are longer
and find myself PF in the winter - days are shorter

I tend to get more sleep in the winter because (well besides being PF) it is dark sooner, so I go to bed around 9, in the summer I am lucky if I am in bed at midnight.  

maybe I sould live in a cave  Roll Eyes

Gena
IP Logged

Do the walls speak to you? Do you follow the Geek Messiah? DO YOU COMPLY?!
ozzman
New Board Old Timer
USA 

We who are not as others -- Chaos A.D. --Sepultura

OzzyVal
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 7th, 2004, 10:26am »

Regarding your question Floridian, in my case my clock seem to run faster as you explain, I wape up earlier and earlier right before my cycle, but at the same time I seem to go to bed later and later??? My mood also suffers, I become quick tempered and now that my attacks have noticeably decreases I noticed that the day of the attack my temper runs hot for no reason at all...

Ozzy
IP Logged

"Always remember rule ONE" --Lu-Tze
floridian

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 7th, 2004, 11:44am »

Ozzman,

I also go to bed later and later, but get up earlier and earlier.  Almost manic.  The first few years, I thought it was great - more energy, more time to do things.  Now I recognize it as a warning of the beast.
IP Logged
CJohnson
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 7th, 2004, 12:19pm »

I have not recognized this pattern in myself. I love to sleep and have no trouble sleeping (except for night time attacks). I go to bed and get up around the same time all year long. My headaches are always in the winter months and most of my attacks occur at night.

PFDANs
-Curtis
IP Logged

Killroy 2.0
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kilroy 2.0 is Here! Kilroy 2.0 is Everywhere!

gmlevenhagen  
Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 7th, 2004, 2:30pm »

So that still leaves the ? why do some of us get hit in the Summer and some git hit in the Winter.

And does hot and cold have anything to do with it or is it the amount of light verses dark?

Just more ?

Gena
IP Logged

Do the walls speak to you? Do you follow the Geek Messiah? DO YOU COMPLY?!
CJohnson
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 7th, 2004, 3:01pm »

Could be an abnormal hypothalamus. A certain kind of abnormality in the hypothalamus could be responsible for cluster headaches in part or in whole. There could be variations in that abnormality or different effects from the way that abnormality interacts with other aspects of a persons physiology to explain the differences between different clusterheads. The point is if a physically messed up hypothalamus us screwing up the circadian rhythms and putting us into a pain state, perhaps the circadian rhythm (or aspects of it) can be artificially phase shifted to put us into a non-pain state.

Abnormalities in the Hypothalamus
Evidence now strongly suggests that abnormalities in the hypothalamus, a complex structure located deep in the brain, may play a major role in cluster headaches. Advanced imaging techniques have revealed that a specific area in the hypothalamus is asymmetrical in these patients and is activated during a cluster headache attack.

The hypothalamus is involved in the regulation of many important chemicals and nerve pathways, including the following:

Nerve clusters that regulate the body's biologic rhythms (its circadian rhythms).
Serotonin and norepinephrine. These are neurotransmitters (chemical messengers in the brain) that are involved with well being and appetite.  
Cortisol (stress hormones).  
Melatonin (a hormone related to the body's response to light and dark).  
Beta-endorphins (substances that modulate pain).  

http://www.healthandage.com/Home/gm=6!gid6=9903

PFDANs
-Curtis
IP Logged

daver
New Board Newbie

ouch!

« Reply #12 on: Jan 7th, 2004, 3:58pm »

on Jan 7th, 2004, 2:30pm, Gena wrote:
So that still leaves the ? why do some of us get hit in the Summer and some git hit in the Winter.

I get hit, like clock-work, end of December, then again at the end of August.

Not sure how that works into the theories...just adding my 2 cents  Smiley

d.
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 8th, 2004, 10:12am »

A link to the OUCH Library:

http://www.clusterheadaches.org/library/hypothalamus/index.htm

The hypothalamus is indeed a major suspect.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss