Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 21st, 2024, 2:35pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « O2 Treatment - Best way »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   O2 Treatment - Best way
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: O2 Treatment - Best way  (Read 414 times)
Reecy
New Board Newbie
USA 

Hi ya!

O2 Treatment - Best way
« on: Jan 13th, 2004, 11:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Okay, I got my O2 today.  I am told by one respiratory company to take at the beginning of each headache, 8 L/min for 10 min.  But another company that was to deliver first (and was the most accomodating) but insurance refused to cover said that I should take it at 12-15 L/min for 15 min every 3 1/2 hours regardless of onset to prevent headache.  I like the idea of preventing and I'll take the O2 that often that's fine with me.  Has anyone tried using O2 as a preventative instead of an abortive?  

Heck I'd understand if they were just trying to get me to use their O2 but they WERE the only one's on the ball to deliver, had my paperwork ready, had great customer service, and tried to work with my insurance.  They also offered that if the other company wouldn't deliver by a certain time, they'd go ahead with their delivery at no cost until the other company got out to me.  Shocked

So what do you all think, try it as a preventative or use as abortive only?

Thanks!
IP Logged
Rick_K
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Re: O2 Treatment - Best way
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13th, 2004, 11:51pm »

It's an abortive...

You should use 10-15 LPM.  Read the O2 info to the left and make sure you are using it correctly.  Keep that tank with you and when you feel the beast a knockin use it right away.  The sooner the better but use it whenever you need it.  The SOB treats us all a little different but as a prevenative, don't wast your time or money.
IP Logged

episodic since 1969........damn
BillyJ.

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 14th, 2004, 3:32am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

15-20 minutes with a NON-REBREATHER MASK
flow rate varies from person to person.turn up the
flow rate until it keeps up with your breathing,any
higher would be a waste,any lower would be too low.
 O2 as a prevent,,,hmmmm,,,,,,well if you have O2 to spare give it a try and let us know how it works
     PF2U
      Billy
IP Logged
toader
New Board Veteran
USA 

there were fireworks on mars

« Reply #3 on: Jan 14th, 2004, 11:36am »

Every doc will tell ya it is abortive only!! Grin

Flow rate ... well this is what has worked for me. . .
1) early onset of a headache - 8-10 L/min  
2) severe pain - 12-15 L/min
3) total and complete agony - rip mask off and run around crazy like MJ with hair on fire

After I put on my mask, I usually cover my face with my hands.  Then, when in severe pain, my first instinct is to hold my breath.  After that, I usually go into hyperventalate mode.  I've been told these are all bad habits.

My wife has been my "breathing coach" throughout this ordeal.  (heh heh - who thought all those childbirth lessons would come back full circle???)

I'm not going to tell you not to push or anything, but try this....practice "belly breathing".  That is, lie on your back 02 mask on, and make your stomach move up and down when you breathe.  It doesn't have to be "deep breaths" every time, but the belly breathing does help with proper diaphram contraction which basically is going to get the air into your bloodstream faster (and she knows what she is talking about dammit!).

I have a love/hate relationship with O2.  It dries my mouth and throat.  I can't help but injest some when breathing it, which makes me sick to my stomach.   Lips Sealed
IP Logged
t_h_b
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

primary chronic since 1999

« Reply #4 on: Jan 14th, 2004, 6:05pm »

If I were an oxygen supplier, I would not recommend that you take O2 at 12-15 L/min for 15 min every 3 1/2 hrs.  I would recommend that you take it at 20 L/min for 1/2 hr every hr. around the clock.

Just like the insulin/Imitrex syringe manufacturers say that you absolutely should not under any circumstances ever use them more than once......
IP Logged

No, it's not a headache--it's a Stage Ten Primary Chronic Periodic Idiopathic Trigeminovascular Cephalalgic Crisis.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss