Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 21st, 2024, 5:09pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Another one (cycle) bites the dust »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   Another one (cycle) bites the dust
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Another one (cycle) bites the dust  (Read 399 times)
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

psiloscribe   pinkshroomrat
WWW Email

Another one (cycle) bites the dust
« on: Jan 15th, 2004, 8:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Posted with permission:

Part one:

Following is an outline of the SUCCESSFUL treatment of my Cluster Headaches using psilocybin cubensis mushrooms (Ecuador {EQ} Strain).  

CLUSTER SUFFERER:  
    Tall, trim, educated, responsible, white-male, mid-40's, divorced w/kids, outdoors-type, semi-athletic (golf, scuba, ski) smoker, drinker (beer mostly), working in an indoor executive office environment.

CLUSTER EVOLUTION:

4 years ago - Clusters started (possibly triggered by a scuba accident)
    One every couple of months or so -- mostly Level 5 or under. (Level 2 is more intense pain than any headache previously experienced and Level 5 is involuntary screaming. Levels 6-10 are beyond description -- with Level 10 being a fraction of a second away from compulsory suicide.)

3 years ago - Clusters increased
    Headaches started coming in clusters of one a day for several days and then several weeks of no headaches. There seemed to be a higher occurrence of Level 5 headaches and they lasted longer.  

2 years ago - Clusters have become a serious problem
    Headache cycles increasing in duration of days. Getting two headaches per day on many occasions. Intensity of the headaches has increased -- now experiencing Level 6, 7 and 8 headaches, lasting 1-3 hours each. Fewer weeks between cycles -- instead of 4- 6 weeks, now cycles are coming within 2-3 weeks and headache cycles are lasting 1-2 weeks in duration instead of 4-7 days.

Also started serious diagnostic efforts in the medical community -- starting with otolaryngologists (ear, nose & throat) assuming the headaches were sinus related. This included MRI's, CT Scans, blood work, trial medications (heavy antibiotics, antihistamines, nasal sprays, etc. -- curiously some with short-term relief, but losing effectiveness within days.)

1 year ago - Clusters have taken over
    Only one or two days without headaches, now. Usually 2 and even 3 headaches per day, 1-3 hours each, with at least one per day being a Level 8 or 9 and have also been introduced to Level 10 headaches. How is it that unconsciousness or death doesn't occur at this level of torture and pain?  

Referred to a neurologist. Diagnosis: Cluster Headaches. Prescribed Imitrex 40 mg Nasal Spray. [Note: Evolved to taking multiple 100 mg. tablets over the course of the next few months]

6 months ago -- Suicide is imminent
    4 headaches per day, every day. No remission. Losing my voice from screaming. Imitrex stops the pain, but not very quickly and am beat-up between headaches. I now need up to 200 mg of Imitrex per headache. Many, many more Level 10 headaches. Society wouldn't let a dog suffer this way, and I can't go on living this way any longer. It has destroyed me (physically, mentally and financially) and is destroying my family, too.

continued:
IP Logged

"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."
"There is no passion so contagious as that of fear."
[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
www.obscuredview.blogspot.com
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

WWW Email

Re: Another one (cycle) bites the dust
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15th, 2004, 8:43pm »

Part 2  

CLUSTERBUSTERS.COM DISCOVERED
    Promising claims. More research done. Decided to try it as a last ditch effort.  

RELIEF & DOSAGE HISTORY

Preparation
    In preparation for trying mushrooms, I started taking 1-A-Day vitamins (generic Centrums) with an additional 500 mg. of Magnesium; 500 mg. of Calcium; 9 mg. of Melatonin and Vitamin B2. [Note: I continued taking these minerals and vitamins throughout the dosing cycle and continue to take them to this day. ]

A friend of a friend gave me several grams of ground psilocybin cubensis (EQ Strain). Now it was time to detox.  

Detoxing
    I detoxed from all prescription drugs and all alcohol consumption and used only oxygen for five (5) days as recommended. Not reaching for the Imitrex when having a Level 8 or 9 headache is one of the hardest things I have ever had to do in my entire life. I almost couldn't do it, but looking back now, it was worth it. I just kept telling myself that would all be worth it in the long-run and after all, I didn't have any meds when I first started getting these headaches. I suffered without meds before, I could do it again.

Dosing
   Not knowing how it might affect me, I was apprehensive about trying the recommended 1.5 grams initial dose. So I didn't. Instead, I made a tea of .5 grams ( a half a gram) at the onset of "shadows" (indication of an oncoming headache.) The headache hit, starting at about a Level 3 and climbing. It hit Level 5 within 6 or 7 minutes and the involuntary screaming started. I could feel it was a strong headache. In 10-12 minutes, all of a sudden, the headache faded fast -- in waves of relief. The tea worked! I still had light muscular feeling pain around my temple, eyebrow and back of my eye, but no more intense headache! I did not experience very much of the "recreational" effect, just a slight stoned effect that still allowed me to function. I did not have any more headaches that day.  

The next day I felt a little hung-over and a headache hit, starting at about a Level 3. I made the other half a gram into a tea, the headache increased to about a Level 4 and then I experienced the same beneficial result and no more headaches, this time headache free for a couple days.

But the headaches returned. I wanted to break the cycle, but still trepedatious I couldn't bring myself to take 1.5 grams and took half that amount. It stopped the oncoming headache and I experienced a much stronger "recreational" effect, but not "tripping." Headache free for at least a week.  

My health was coming back, I was able to work. Hooray!

Headaches returned. I took an entire gram to hopefully re-set my brain and end the cycle. Strong stoning effect and light possibly imagined visual alterations, but no negative experience.

continued...........
IP Logged

[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 15th, 2004, 8:44pm »

Part 3

I guess it was about a week later, the headaches came back. I didn't have enough to try 1.5 gr and get by until I could get some more if the 1.5 gr. dose didn't work, so I tried 1/3 gram three times and each time it knocked out the headaches and went several more days headache free each time with no "recreational" effect at all.

Then I ran out of mushroom powder. The headaches came back. They were much weaker and much less intense -- and sporadic. I got one light headache (Level 2-4) every other day, maybe. Within a week they started increasing in intensity and occurrence. I started getting at least one headache per day and usually two. Within two weeks I was getting Level 8-10 headaches again... and I had to start taking Imitrex again to keep from committing suicide while waiting for more mushrooms.

My friend gave me some more, but this time made into chocolate candy consisting of 1.5 grams in each candy. (With a couple consisting of 2.0 grams per candy.) I ate a half of one of the 1.5 gr. candies at the onset of my next headache. It ended up being a Level 10 headache with no relief from the candy in 30 minutes. I ate half of the remaining half and did not feel any attributable relief. The headache ended 50 minutes after it started and I started to feel stoned effects about 10 minutes later.  

No headaches through that night. The next morning I felt a light headache coming on and ate a half a 1.5 gram candy. The headache never seemed to develop, but I did not feel the attributable relief I experienced from the tea. No headaches all day.

That night I got another light headache and ate the same amount. Headache faded.

The half-doses were taken to try to live a few days while not taking Imitrex and to get essential work done. 7 days later I ate a whole 1.5 gr. candy at the onset of a headache. The headache dissipated completely in twenty minutes or so. I also experienced strong recreational effects, but not too overwhelming. No headaches for 5 days, then I got a strong headache. I ate a half a candy and the headache went away and again was headache free for 5 days. I got another strong cluster headache and ate a whole 1.5 gr candy. The headache went away in about 20 minutes and I have not had another headache since.

Long-term treatment
    My treatment plan is to dose 1.5 gr once every three months for one year and then once every six months thereafter.  

As it was my impression that the tea method metabolized faster, I keep a 0.7 gr baggie of dried, ground mushrooms on-hand to treat a rogue headache, just in case one should pop-up.  

End-Note
     Life is livable again. I am able to work and am recovering from the financial devastation of cluster headaches. And, not unsurprisingly, people are even telling me over the phone how "good I sound."  

Grin
IP Logged

[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
stevegeebe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 16th, 2004, 12:42am »

Thanks PF.  

Horrible story with a great ending.

Ya'll do such good things.  After a six month gig last year, I'm looking for a different path.  Thanks for the map.

Steve G

IP Logged
justin
New Board Veteran
USA 

what it is...

jdo201
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 16th, 2004, 6:08am »

hey pink floyd

it's crazy. i will celebrate??? my four year anniversary of clusterdom in february. your pattern of the evolution of the years has matched mine exactly...exactly. i'm taking verapamil, neurontin, depakote, and celexa. if you want to know more write me at jdo201@yahoo.com. i can't do the shroom thing. i hate drugs that make me feel that way even the slightest. i'll have a panic attack. anyway. the meds help most of the year but not the whole year. glad youre still with us. hang in there.  

jd
IP Logged

if any clusterheads in NYC want to get together shoot me an email justinott@mac.com
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 16th, 2004, 12:37pm »

on Jan 16th, 2004, 6:08am, justin wrote:

i'm taking verapamil, neurontin, depakote, and celexa. if you want to know more write me at jdo201@yahoo.com. i can't do the shroom thing. i hate drugs that make me feel that way even the slightest.  

That was a report from another person that had success with psilocybin.  
I had a 23 year progression of attacks before I used the mushroom treatment to solve my cluster problem.

It's just my opinion mind you, but I've been on that cocktail you're on for long periods of time with limited or no success, so it's somewhat of an educated opinion.  
I think that if you were able to stop those drugs and have no adverse effects from a quick detox, and have no clusters, you'd realize that the cocktail you are now on is leaving you feeling "that way" 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. You just don't feel that much different because it takes a while to build those meds up to a therapeutic level.  

I understand your trepidation and respect your thoughts on the subject, but we shroomers only feel "that way" for about 6 or 8 hours once every 3-6 months.

Best of luck with whichever weapons you use to battle with the beast...

PF
(off my soapbox for the weekend....will battling a deck of cards in wisconsin)  Cool
IP Logged

[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss