Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 21st, 2024, 4:31pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Fresh Research - Melatonin, Blood Pressure, CH »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   Fresh Research - Melatonin, Blood Pressure, CH
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Fresh Research - Melatonin, Blood Pressure, CH  (Read 549 times)
floridian

Email

Fresh Research - Melatonin, Blood Pressure, CH
« on: Jan 20th, 2004, 10:07am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Melatonin shown to be potentially useful in controlling high blood pressure.    

Quote:
The researchers found that patients taking repeated melatonin had lower nighttime systolic blood pressure (the top number in a blood pressure reading) by 6 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg) and diastolic blood pressure (bottom number) by 4 mm Hg.

"It has been reported that people with high blood pressure often have suppressed nighttime melatonin levels," Scheer said. "We have recently found that people with high blood pressure have actual anatomical disturbances of their biological clocks. This finding might open the door for a new approach for treating hypertension. "http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/01/040120034618.htm

Sound like anyone you know?  Melatonin production is supressed in cluster headaches.  The risk of cluster heads having high blood pressure is 1.5x greater than the average person (ie, a 50% greater risk):

Quote:
Headache. 1999 Jun; 39(6): 409-16.  
    Headache and cardiovascular risk factors: positive association with hypertension.

The consequences of untreated high blood pressure include heart disease, stroke and kidney damage.
« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2004, 10:12am by floridian » IP Logged
t_h_b
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

primary chronic since 1999

Re: Fresh Research - Melatonin, Blood Pressure, CH
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20th, 2004, 5:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Some of us take so much verapamil that high blood pressure is probably not an issue....
IP Logged

No, it's not a headache--it's a Stage Ten Primary Chronic Periodic Idiopathic Trigeminovascular Cephalalgic Crisis.
Stevieray
New Board Newbie
Canada 

« Reply #2 on: Jan 20th, 2004, 9:41pm »

When I first went to the doctor about my recent bout of CH, my Bp was 159/97, a bit high she thought so she put me on Verapimil and said it would lower the BP which it  did and would help control the CHs which in conjunction with Lithium has pushed the beast back into it's cave (7days now) and hopefully will stay there for a good long time if not forever.
IP Logged
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

« Reply #3 on: Jan 21st, 2004, 2:59pm »

And yet another twitch of the beast's tail...

I have always had low bp, so much so that when I was a regular blood donor, I was often refused because my bp happened to be too low.
(I solved that by having my appointments later in the day, round lunchtime; bp still was low-ish so the blood would not flow spontaneously, but it was just enough)

After menopause, my bp went up. My doctor checked it and told me that, finally, I was having a normal bp!

That was the time  I started getting clusters too.

In my case, it would seem that it was the relative and not the absolute higher pressure that did it.
IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
thomas

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 21st, 2004, 4:21pm »

on Jan 20th, 2004, 10:07am, floridian wrote:
 Melatonin production is supressed in cluster headaches.  

Which leads to low levels of seratonin........ correct?
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 21st, 2004, 4:36pm »

The melatonin comes from serotonin - so a shortage of serotonin would probably decrease melatonin, but a shortage of melatonin might not have any effect on serotonin (which could have already been screwed up). That's assuming its a one way reaction only, and that there's no feedback.  

OK, I'll try to post this image I came across.

« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2004, 4:38pm by floridian » IP Logged
t_h_b
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

primary chronic since 1999

« Reply #6 on: Jan 21st, 2004, 6:26pm »

Thanks for the wonderful diagram.  I've saved it to my desktop for reference.
IP Logged

No, it's not a headache--it's a Stage Ten Primary Chronic Periodic Idiopathic Trigeminovascular Cephalalgic Crisis.
Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 21st, 2004, 7:01pm »

If everything was increased prior to melatonin, ie 5-HTP and or tryptophan would that increase melatonin levels or is the mechanism messed up between those points?

One could perhaps use 5-HTP in combination with melatonin to be more effective?

Huh
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 21st, 2004, 7:28pm »

I have been using 5htp for a few years, and believe it helps with clusters (but I use several things including magnesium, flax/fish, and tea, and I cant say for sure what is having an effect).  5htp definitely helps with mood and sleep. There is discussion of this elsewhere on the board. Don't mix it with SSRI antidepressants or MAOI drugs - very dangerous.  For long term use, tryptophan might be better than 5htp.
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2004, 7:29pm by floridian » IP Logged
Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 22nd, 2004, 8:34am »

What are specifically some MOAI drugs?
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 22nd, 2004, 10:51am »

Not many prescriptions written in the US for MAOIs - the older generation can cause serious blood pressure problems when mixed with various foods, and the new generation of MAOIs has been approved in Europe but not the US.  Nardil is a second generation MAOI.   SSRIs are more widely presribed in the US.  

Some MAOi drugs include: phenelzine (Nardil), tranylcypromine (Parnate), Seligiline (Eldepryl), and isocarboxazid (Marplan), Clorgyline, Isocarboxazid.  

Here's one link on 5htp.  I have the same philosophy as Sahelian on using 5htp - use the smallest dose that achieves results, and take only when needed.  
http://www.raysahelian.com/5-htp.html

Another link that gives an overview of 5htp, mentions their use in migraines and other headaches. http://www.5htp.com/

I think that 5htp works more broadly than a SSRI - the SSRIs work pretty specifically in the nerve junctions.  But serotonin has an effect on many other tissues outside of the blood, so boosting serotonin across the body would have wider effects.  Tryptophan and 5htp also work quicker than SSRIs, which need time to build up in the body before an effect is seen.
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2004, 11:01am by floridian » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss