Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 21st, 2024, 12:42pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Fresh Research - Nitrates and CH (2 articles) »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   Fresh Research - Nitrates and CH (2 articles)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Fresh Research - Nitrates and CH (2 articles)  (Read 664 times)
floridian

Email

Fresh Research - Nitrates and CH (2 articles)
« on: Jan 20th, 2004, 11:32am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Two articles that focus on various nitrates, which are converted to nitric oxide, which causes blood vessels to expand and pinch nerves.  

The first article claims that a nitroglycerin challenge is a fairly reliable test for cluster headache and migraine without aura, but not migraine with aura.  80% of clusterheads respond to nitroglycerin challenge with headaches.  I am curious to know if the clusterheads were chronic or episodic, and if episodic if they were in a cycle or in remission.  

In the second article, 8 clusterheads who were being treated for angina with long acting nitrate medicines had their headaches activated by the medicines.  The medicines mentioned are long-acting organic nitrates (isosorbide-dinitrate, isosorbide-5-mononitrate or slow-release GTN).  Add these to the list of triggers.  Curiously, angina subsided when the clusterheads went into a headache cycle, indicating that elevated nitric oxide produced by the body may be protective for the heart even as it causes intense pain in the head.  

Quote:
Cephalalgia. 2004 Feb; 24(2): 110-119.  
    Reliability of the nitroglycerin provocative test in the diagnosis of neurovascular headaches.

Sances G, Tassorelli C, Pucci E, Ghiotto N, Sandrini G & Nappi G. Reliability of the nitroglycerin provocative test in the diagnosis of neurovascular headaches. Cephalalgia 2004; 24:110-119. London. ISSN 0333-1024 Nitroglycerin administration provokes spontaneous-like migraine attacks in migraine and cluster headache (CH) patients. Nitroglycerin-induced migraine-like headache has been used as an experimental model of migraine. In this paper, we evaluate the possibility of using the nitroglycerin provocative test (NPT) as a supportive measure in the diagnosis of primary neurovascular headaches by assessing its reliability on a large population and adopting strict criteria for rating the response as positive or negative. Our population consisted of 197 migraineurs, 42 subjects suffering from cluster headache and 53 healthy controls. In migraine without aura, the test sensitivity was 82.1%, specificity 96.2% and accuracy 85.5%, while in subjects suffering from migraine with aura, the reliability of the NPT was less satisfactory (sensitivity 13.6%, specificity 96.2% and accuracy 72%). In CH patients tested during the active phase of the disease the sensitivity was 80.6%, specificity 100% and accuracy 92.9%. NPT is an easy, low-cost and reliable method for supporting the diagnosis of migraine without aura and cluster headache.

Quote:
Cephalalgia. 2004 Feb; 24(2): 92-98.
    Periods of cluster headache induced by nitrate therapy and spontaneous remission of angina pectoris during active clusters.

Periods of cluster headache induced by nitrate therapy and spontaneous remission of angina pectoris during active clusters. Cephalalgia 2004; 24:92-98. London. ISSN 0333-1024 Glyceryl trinitrate (GTN) is known to induce single extra attacks of cluster headache (CH) during active cluster periods, most probably via actions of nitric oxide (NO). Induction of whole periods of CH by organic nitrates has, however, attracted little attention in the literature. We report on eight patients with episodic CH and coexistent effort-induced angina pectoris. Cases 1-6 had been free of their headaches for many years but got recurrence of CH within a few weeks after the administration of long-acting organic nitrates (isosorbide-dinitrate, isosorbide-5-mononitrate or slow-release GTN) aimed at treating their chest pains. These nitrate-induced headache periods were more severe and had a longer duration than the previous spontaneous ones. Furthermore, one of the subjects and two additional cases experienced a marked reduction of their anginal attacks during successive CH periods. Exercise time to effort-induced angina was increased in all three patients and one of them revealed a markedly elevated threshold for eliciting ischaemic cardiac symptoms by standardized physical exercise on a cycle ergometer. We hypothesize whether extra CH periods elicited by sustained nitrate therapy and remission of angina pectoris during active clusters are caused by central mechanisms involving inhibition of sympathetic tone and effects on both cranial vessels and cardiac functions.
IP Logged
CJohnson
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Cannot kill the family, Battery is found in me

Email

Re: Fresh Research - Nitrates and CH (2 articles)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20th, 2004, 12:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Where are all of these clusterheads participating in these trials? Anybody here ever participate in a CH study or trial?
 I always thought that nitro did not provoke an attack out of cycle.

That second abstract is a lot to think about. If I am not mistaken, it claims that the nitrate regimen actually triggered a cycle (not just a single attack) in "out of cycle" clusterheads. Whoa.

PFDANs
-Curtis
IP Logged

Through water and fire. From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak, I fought the Beast. Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
CJohnson
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 20th, 2004, 12:11pm »

Verapamil is useful for treating angina.

PFDANs
-Curtis
IP Logged

Through water and fire. From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak, I fought the Beast. Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
JDH
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

We will get by, We will survive!

simnjue2u
Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 20th, 2004, 1:10pm »

on Jan 20th, 2004, 12:04pm, CJohnson wrote:
 Where are all of these clusterheads participating in these trials? Anybody here ever participate in a CH study or trial?

PFDANs
-Curtis

Curtis,  
I took part in the Civamide study in late '02 and early '03. Found out about it right here.

Jim
IP Logged

9-11-01, to remember is to honor.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

ECH established 1985
floridian

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 20th, 2004, 2:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I think one of the nitrate studies is from Italy, and the other from Sweden or Norway.  That envelope with funny words that you threw away might have been an invite.  laugh  

On the other hand, Europe has national healthcare systems, and it might be easier to identify and tap into the clusterhead population there than in the US - even with all the good work done here and at OUCH, the cluster community could be more fragmented in the US.  

Anybody know what sort of disease registries there are in non-US countries??  Here's a study on the genetics of clusters that was done in Sweden by linking a registry of twins with a registry for hospitalization.  

Quote:
A note on cluster headache in a population-based twin register
Da Svensson, K Ekbom1, NL Pedersen2,3, H Träff1 & E Waldenlind1

Evidence of a familial risk factor in cluster headache is accumulating and studies of twin concordance may resolve family resemblance into genetic and environmental influences. The past literature on cluster headache in twins comprises a few case reports of concordant monozygotic pairs. Swedish twin pairs with a diagnosis of cluster headache were selected through a cross-match of national registers of twin births and hospitalizations. Seventeen discordant twin pairs were found, in which it was possible to verify cluster headache status in 11 complete pairs (two monozygotic, four dizygotic, and five unlike-sexed pairs). In both members of a female monozygotic pair, migraine without aura developed after birth of the first child and remitted by menopause, whereas post-menopausal development of chronic cluster headache occurred in only one of them. The importance of individual specific factors for cluster headache was demonstrated. However, to explain familial aggregation a larger sample of affected twin pairs is necessary.

The logistics of doing a study are much better if you could easily identify 500 or so people within a few hours drive of the hospital or clinic doing the study. Some of the prospective subjects would be on vacation or medically ineligible for the study, others might not want to try a particular type of therapy. So they might get 50 or 100 from that 500 person list.   If the rate of clusters is 1 per 1000, then a city of 1 million would have around 1000 cluster suferers.  By contrast, one US metropolitan area of 1 million that I am familiar with has only 11 clusterheads listed at http://www.clusterheads.com/   That is about 1% of the expected number of cases for a million residents, and not enough to do a study -  more intensive/expensive recruiting is needed.
« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2004, 3:03pm by floridian » IP Logged
CJohnson
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 20th, 2004, 3:47pm »

Jim, how did you go about participating in the civamide trials? How did they go?

PFDANs
-Curtis
IP Logged

ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

« Reply #6 on: Jan 20th, 2004, 3:50pm »

Also, look at recent posts of Catlind, who was rushed to hospital with what they thought was heart problems.

She was given nitro and (I think) nearly scratched the hospital down havbing clusters.
IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
CJohnson
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 20th, 2004, 3:52pm »

Was she in a cycle?

PFDANs
-Curtis
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss