Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 21st, 2024, 7:58am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Fresh Research - Angelica »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   Fresh Research - Angelica
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Fresh Research - Angelica  (Read 522 times)
floridian

Email

Fresh Research - Angelica
« on: Jan 27th, 2004, 9:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

[Well, Shit! Just found an article that suggest that aspirin and acetominophen also reduce pain from substance P and glutamate - so maybe this is just another thing that should help but doesn't.  On the other hand, Angelica is very different from aspirin and acetominophen in other respects. So I'm leaving it up, anyway.]  

The official translation is a little rough, but this seems like a candidate with a lot of therapeutic potential.  Angelica  reduces the irritation induced by IL-1 and TNF-A, two compounds that are elevated in clusterheads.  And it reduces the pain caused by substance P and capsaicin - substance P being a chemical that transmits pain in clusters. And it blocks the pain transmitted on glutamate/NMDA nerve fibers.  On paper, this looks like a pain killer made for clusters!!  

European angelica has been used as flavoring agent for centuries (its in vermouth and some candies).  Chinese and Japanese angelica are different species with different properties.  This article is about Angelica gigas (Korean Angelica), yet another species.  Not sure if the more common Dong Quai has the same effects as the Korean form.  

Angelica (Chinese and Japanese) has also been shown to help reduce hot flashes - which involves CGRP, another of the bodies chemicals that is elevated in CH.  Angelica is also a calcium channel blocker,  One chemical in an Angelica is 200x stronger than finasteride in blocking alpha-5-reductase, the enzyme that converts testosterone to DHT (which can enlarge the prostate and cause baldness in those who are genetically susceptible).  

Angelica in general has a long history of use, although it does contain chemicals that can cause photosensitization if taken in larger doses.  There could be a undesireable interaction if taken with with other calcium channel blockers (verapamil).  My wife just started taking a formula with Angelica for another condition, and I stumbled on this while researching it.  

Quote:
Biol Pharm Bull. 2003 Sep; 26(9): 1283-8.  

Antinociceptive profiles of crude extract from roots of Angelica gigas NAKAI in various pain models.

Choi SS, Han KJ, Lee HK, Han EJ, Suh HW.  Department of Pharmacology, College of Medicine, Hallym University, Chunchon, Kangwon Do, South Korea.

To characterize the antinociceptive profiles of Angelica gigas NAKAI (ANG; Korean angelica), methanol extract from the dried roots of ANG was made and mice were administered orally at the various doses (from 0.25 to 3 g/kg). ANG produced the increased latencies of the tail-flick and hot-plate paw-licking responses in a dose-dependent manner. In acetic acid-induced writhing test, ANG dose-dependently decreased writhing numbers. Moreover, the cumulative response time of nociceptive behaviors induced by intraplantar formalin injection was reduced during both the 1st and the 2nd phases in a dose-dependent manner in ANG-treated mice. Furthermore, oral administration of ANG did not cause licking, scratching and biting responses induced by TNF-alpha (100 pg), IFN-gamma (100 pg) or IL-1beta (100 pg) injected intrathecally (i.t.), especially at higher dose (3 g/kg). Additionally, in ANG treated mice, the cumulative nociceptive response time for i.t. administration of substance P or capsaicin was dose-dependently diminished. Finally, nociceptive responses elicited by i.t. injection of glutamate (20 microg), N-methyl-D-aspartic acid (60 ng), alpha-amino-3-hydroxy-5-methylisoxazole-4-propionic acid (13 ng) or kainic acid (12 ng) were decreased by oral administration of ANG. Our results suggest that ANG produces antinociception via acting on the central nervous system and shows antinociceptive profiles in various pain models, especially inflammatory pain.
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2004, 9:36pm by floridian » IP Logged
floridian

Email

Re: Fresh Research - Angelica
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27th, 2004, 10:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Korean Angelica also inhibits nitric oxide production and mast cell degranulation (release of histamine, other inflammitory chemicals).
IP Logged
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

Re: Fresh Research - Angelica
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28th, 2004, 4:05am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm just glad I'm not a poor mouse!
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss