Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 21st, 2024, 6:05am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Frova is working! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   Frova is working!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Frova is working!  (Read 608 times)
helpless23
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Frova is working!
« on: Jan 30th, 2004, 7:22am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,
Just posted in the GD section. I'm new here and my husband has had cluster headaches for over 20 years now. They took a 5 year break now they're back.

Dr. prescribed Frova for him, and it's working. For the first time in 2 months, he is cluster free for over 24 hours!  It's supposedly a form of Imitrex with not so many side effects!

Happy about this! Just wanted to share!
Toni
IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

Re: Frova is working!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30th, 2004, 8:01am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi Toni

That is great news for your husband (and you)
Frova is just another Triptan developed for migraine sufferers (Frovatriptan) like Imitrex (sumitriptan) and Zomig (zolmitriptan), and has been around for a few years.
The only trouble for most Ch sufferers is that as far as I'm aware, it is still only available in pill form, which makes it too slow for most.

Glad it works for your hubby though, especially as I think it is much cheaper than Imitrex.

Wendy
« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2004, 8:02am by pubgirl » IP Logged
helpless23
New Board Old Timer
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Jan 30th, 2004, 8:32am »

HI Wendy,

Yeah, well it is in pill form, but once he swallowed the first pill at the first sign on the beast, then he could take it 3 times in a 24 hour period.  He has made it through is FIRST 24 hour period CH free!  So we are excited about it. I just hope it works and more importantly , I hope the insurance company will keep refilling it for him.  I know they can be *&!%$ in all of this.  This is what I've heard.

But so far, so good.  I guess now that it's into his system, HOPEFULLY it will keep working long enough for him to go into remission again.

Smiley

For now, it's working and I'm so happy to see him pain free, even if it's only for `1 full day.
IP Logged
CJohnson
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Cannot kill the family, Battery is found in me

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 30th, 2004, 9:39am »

I have used Frova as an abortive/preventative. As I am prone to multiple night time attacks, I would take a Frova before bed to prevent attacks via standard triptan action on 5ht receptors. Can't be certain about its efficacy as I was taking preventatives as well. I believe it is the newest triptan and supposedly the safest (less action on the receptors that affect the heart). My neurologist preferred this triptan over the others and my insurance covers all triptans except this one. The pharmacist claims it is because it is newer than other meds of its kind.  

"A concern with triptans is that they would work not only on cerebral blood vessels, but also on coronary vessels. Trials indicate that Frova has overcome that concern:  
--Studies of frovatriptan in isolated human arteries demonstrated a lower threshold for constriction of cerebral than coronary vasculature and a bell-shaped dose-response curve was apparent in the coronary arteries. In anesthetized dogs, frovatriptan administration produced no measurable effect on cardiac function or on blood pressure. Frovatriptan had no effects on coronary blood flow following transient coronary artery occlusion, whereas sumatriptan (Imitrex/Imigran) produced a prolonged and significant decrease in coronary blood flow--"

That from here:
http://headaches.about.com/cs/druginfo/a/frova_new.htm

PFDANs
-Curtis
IP Logged

Through water and fire. From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak, I fought the Beast. Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 30th, 2004, 10:44am »

I've wondered about this.  Frova is a triptan drug but, unlike the other triptans, it has a much longer half life.  It stays in your system much longer.  If it indeed worked on clusters, you could take one pill a day and have no attacks.  Sounds like you may have found this to be fact.

Do whatever works!  And let us know if it continues to keep his attacks at bay.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
CJohnson
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Cannot kill the family, Battery is found in me

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 30th, 2004, 11:55am »

The half life of Frova is 26 hours (Imitrex is 2.5 hours), I wonder what that means in terms of spacing the dose. Does the entire 26 hours have to expire before another dose can be fully effective? Lets say you take a frova @ 8pm each night. Yesterday's frova still has 2 hours to go. Did you waste the frova you just took? Will its effectiveness be reduced? Anyone know how this works? Basically, does anyone know what the effect is of taking a second dose of a med before the first dose's half life has expired?

PFDANs
-Curtis
IP Logged

Through water and fire. From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak, I fought the Beast. Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Edski_1
New Board Veteran
USA 

All the years combine...they melt into a dream...

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 30th, 2004, 12:03pm »

Very obviously the different triptans are being found to have differing efficacies with different populations.  The only triptan I've been exposed to is Zomig...5 mg pill...the 15-20 minutes it takes to work is adequate for me, as my CH usually last between 60-120 minutes.  The last zomig I had to take was a nasal spray...it kicked my a$$ (and my headaches) and did seem to work a bit faster than the pill, maybe in about 10 minutes.  But a sample of one is not a very definitive sample...

Well, now that I've been on topamax...that's a different story.  Not getting CH  Smiley  So I hopefully won't need to test that much anymore.

But it seems the second generation of triptans are finally geting somewhere, especially in pill form.  I bet for the long time, more frequent sufferers, that's a definite God-send!  Grin
IP Logged

This is the mystery of the quotient; upon us all a little rain must fall...
helpless23
New Board Old Timer
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Jan 30th, 2004, 1:32pm »

I think I may have spoken too soon.  24 hours CH free and now he has one.

All I can do is leave him be ya know? Of course you all know...

My heart goes out to all of you who have to go through this.

Toni
IP Logged
Edski_1
New Board Veteran
USA 

All the years combine...they melt into a dream...

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 30th, 2004, 1:59pm »

Hey, when my current cycle started in October, the 24 PF I got from the first dose of Zomig was blessing!  SO sometimes you have to take what you can get...

Also, is he taking othr meds?  Maybe something is "interfering" with it?  I had some mixed results initially with Zomig, sometimes it did not provide the relief I had hoped for...but I was taking cafergot at the same time which, after reading a bit (and my neuro also confirmed) was a mistake.  The two drugs are contra-indicated, and apparently the cafergot can reduce the effectiveness of the zomig.

Sending out PF vibes...
IP Logged

This is the mystery of the quotient; upon us all a little rain must fall...
helpless23
New Board Old Timer
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Jan 30th, 2004, 2:19pm »

No, not taking any other meds.   Sad
Thank God, it's over. I just hope that's the last one of the day.
IP Logged
henzey
New Board Junior
USA 

civics queen who beats the beast most of the time

« Reply #10 on: Jan 31st, 2004, 11:16am »

I would still be encouraged....one headache in 2-3 days is not bad for many of us, but I know that each one is stressful and painful.  My doctor has recently suggested Flova as an option for me and will probably try it next week and will let you know how it goes.
IP Logged

civics queen CHead
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss