Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 21st, 2024, 11:25am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Odd oxygen reaction....I think »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   Odd oxygen reaction....I think
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Odd oxygen reaction....I think  (Read 454 times)
henzey
New Board Junior
USA 

civics queen who beats the beast most of the time

Odd oxygen reaction....I think
« on: Jan 31st, 2004, 9:20am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It appears that I have unfortunately transitioned to being somewhat chronic sufferer....thanks to hormonal changes or other unidentified issues.  Angry I was having minor shadows during the day and one or two real clusters at night, but have not had enough time for my preventatives to kick in so my neuro prescribed oxygen which I had used in the past at the end of episodes in the past.  So, last night when I got my usual cluster at 11 p.m., I tried the oxygen and it worked great in 8 minutes.  Was so thrilled.....but then....it was like my body decided it just had to HAVE the oxygen and about every 2.5 hours I had to get up and use it to abort a headache. Up until that point, I had not had any headaches after midnight, but now I am having them every 2.5 hours unless I take Zomig.  Has anyone had this effect with O2 before??  It may just be that my episode is just getting much worse, but this sudden increase is rather coincidental.  What do you long-time experts think???
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2004, 9:20am by henzey » IP Logged

civics queen CHead
ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

The BEAST rises again, and again, and again, and .

Email

Re: Odd oxygen reaction....I think
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31st, 2004, 9:39am »

First and foremost, what makes you think that you are chronic?  In order to be classified as chronic, you need to go 12 months with less than 2 weeks (together) painfree.

Second, oxygen.  How long are you on the oxygen? You should be on it for ten to fifteen minutes after the headache stops, to prevent a return of your hit.  Possibly this is what you are experiencing?  The total time on the oxygen should not exceed 20 minutes.

The reation that you describe is not one that I have ever heard of, which does not mean that it cannot happen.

Glad to hear that the O2 is cutting the beast down, and I hope the above helps you.

Good luck, and keep us informed.

Chuck

EDIT: By the way, relax, don't let the condition rule your life.  Modify your lifstyle as required, but do not let it rule you!  You are the boss!  Your attitude has a tremendous effect on how you can live with the beast.
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2004, 9:42am by ClusterChuck » IP Logged

"No man can be happy without a friend, nor be sure of his friend till he is unhappy."
Thomas Fuller
t_h_b
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

primary chronic since 1999

« Reply #2 on: Jan 31st, 2004, 10:13am »

Henzey, could you be having some sort of rebound headache?

Hope you get this figured out soon.

Chronic here, from the start, so no comment on the "typical" transition from episodic to chronic.  I would be interested in hearing about some experiences with that and would especially like to hear about somebody who went from chronic to episodic.  

Is there such a thing?  (Fingers crossed.)
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2004, 10:14am by t_h_b » IP Logged

No, it's not a headache--it's a Stage Ten Primary Chronic Periodic Idiopathic Trigeminovascular Cephalalgic Crisis.
henzey
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Jan 31st, 2004, 10:14am »

Hey, I look forward to meeting you today...by the way, I have been unable to log into my office emails and need to get Deb's street address again.  Can you please have her send this to me by CH.com mailbox since my regular email system seems to be down?  
The doctor tells me that he think I am semi-chronic, but hey, I am willing to be convinced otherwise.  I am having just 5 days of remisson between periods but it has not been 12 months of this yet...thank god.  
As to the usage of the oxygen, I had looked at various postings and it seemed that folks had suggested that you should only use what it took to knock it out.  So, mine appeared to be gone in 8-10 minutes.  However, it definitely was back in about 2 to 2.5 hours.  So, it seems like I need to try staying on longer to keep the beast away for a longer period of time. I will give that a shot tonight.  One other point, my tank only goes up to 8 liters...not 10-12 as some of you have recommended.  Could that be a major issue?
IP Logged

civics queen CHead
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

« Reply #4 on: Jan 31st, 2004, 10:46am »

Well, considering I had these headaches every two hours on the dot, without the benefit of O2 (or any other treatment) I would NOT call them rebound headaches - which usually are caused by the medication which O2 isn't. I would not  be so fast in ascribing the worsening to O2.

You are talking hormone changes - I never had clusters till after the change of life. (Before I "only" had migraines).
After menopause clusters started in, so if you are in the right age group (or are using hormone supplements or something) it is much more likely to be a change in type of your episodes, and not  O2.

And I agree, you are not chronic (yet) so be of good cheer.
IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
henzey
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Jan 31st, 2004, 11:10am »

Thanks Ave and C Chuck for the encouraging news.  I am seeing my OB/GYN soon as I think that I am having signs of the "change" and that has triggered a WHOLE lot of these problems....chills, more frequent periods, etc.  I plan to try Chuck's suggestion about staying on the O2 longer each time and then second option, taking some Zomig or Flova right before bedtime.  I can sleep pretty well with Zomig and I undersand that Flova is not bad either.   I cannot tell you how much I appreciate the encouragement when I have had such an discouraging night.  You folks are the best!  I am so happy to be meeting the Raleigh area clusterheads today!
IP Logged

civics queen CHead
duck_soup
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Feb 1st, 2004, 1:41am »

henzey,
I use the O2 as my first choice, but sometimes it works and sometimes the CH won't be denied.  I've also had occasions where I've woken up, used O2 until I thought the thing was gone, then woken up again, sometimes several times during the course of the night.  Most times these things end with me taking a shot of imitrex to kill the thing once and for all.  The O2 also seems to be much less effective when my cycle really gets cranked up.  Don't know if you use imitrex, but try the half-shot tip.  That worked for me especially at the beginning and end of my cycles when the CHs weren't as severe.

Best of luck,

Rick
IP Logged
henzey
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Feb 2nd, 2004, 2:28pm »

Thanks to all.  I have not gotten to try using the O2 longer as my Dopeymax as finally kicked back in and, so far, no headaches in three days!!!!  And last night slept like a baby....for the first time in five nights.  Next night time cluster, though, I will try staying on the O2 longer (a full 15 min) and/or combining it with a Zomig (I sleep better with that than with Imitrex which wires me).  However, I did hear from others that they do get dependent on the O2 and just cannot use it....I may well be one of those.
IP Logged

civics queen CHead
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss