Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 21st, 2024, 2:05pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « What Works and What Don't »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   What Works and What Don't
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What Works and What Don't  (Read 467 times)
duck_soup
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

What Works and What Don't
« on: Feb 1st, 2004, 1:22am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've been getting CH since 1980 yearly but have been free the last 3 years.  I'm episodic with cycles lasting 6-8 weeks.  When things are bad, I'm getting 2-3 per day, which would last up to 4 hours if I ever let them go.  I've tried verapimil in previous cycles with not much success.  Because of the limited length of the cycles, I've always fought them with abortives, O2 and imitrex.  During my last cycle, I tried taking half the imitrex injection and it worked great.  However, this time it was working up until when my cycle really hit it's stride.  Now when I take half a shot, it makes the CH real bad (like it always does), but instead of going away, it stays bad until I take the other half of the shot.  Also, it seems that the O2 is not working as well except when I get one at night and the pain is just bad enough to wake me.  

What does work is prednesone.  I use it when things get real bad and I'm starting to wig out on the imitrex.  I just started my taper yesterday and I can feel things starting to relax.  I'll finish up in nine days and I always hope that they're gone, but usually I'll have to get through the whole 6-8 weeks.  I usually go off the prednesone and wait until they build up again before going back on (usually 1-2 weeks), since it supposed to be bad for you to stay on it.

My questions for the group are:

1.  Does anyone else treat them this way and just wait them out?

2. Does the half imitrex dose work at the beginning and end of the cycle, but a whole 6 mg is needed in the middel?  I'm male, 6 ft 200 lb if that makes a difference.

3. What is the group's experience with prednesone?  It seems to really help me when I get hot and heavy into my cycle.  It might be bad for you, but 2-3 shots of imitrex per day can't be good either.  Also, on my prescription plan, a taper of prednesone costs 69-cents compared to about $15 a shot for imitrex.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Rick
IP Logged
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

Re: What Works and What Don't
« Reply #1 on: Feb 1st, 2004, 1:50am »

Rick,
I have never used the imitrex.  You will find alot here on the board in re to what mixtures of meds work for most.

The Prednisone worked wonders for me...the 1st day of my taper, the ha's were gone.  That was 142 days ago.
I have had no ha's, and no shadows.  However, the Pred does not work for all.  Most that take it, the ha's return as soon as they begin to taper, or within a day or so after the taper their ha's return.  Just another example of how different we all are.

There is a link to the left that shows how to divide the trex into 3 doses.  Seems for alot here, the 1/3 shot works.  Looks like it might not work for you though.

I thought I had read somewhere....maybe in the posts in the General or maybe Med board that the Imitrex could cause rebound ha's.  I am not certain of that....and I certainly am not a dr.  But since the meds affect us all differently, you might need to check with your dr and find a better combo of meds that will work better for you.

I sure hope you get what you need to fight the beast!

PF vibes,

Jean
IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
Stevieray
New Board Newbie
Canada 

« Reply #2 on: Feb 1st, 2004, 3:52pm »

I used the Imitex nasal spray to abort my CHs.  The pills took too long and I couldn't get the injectable. They said it wasn't available. That's OK cuz I don't really relish the idea of sticking myself with a needle anyway. The NS is so easy to use anyway. I'm also  on Li and Verap. PF day #17 now
IP Logged
Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 1st, 2004, 5:46pm »

Hello,

The prednesone seemed to work in one of my cycles, but for two others had nothing but complications and the headache immediately returned during the taper.  I developed thrush, gained 10 pounds.  Personally, I never do it again.  Having said that, many people here have used it with success.

Imitrex dosage seem to vary between individuals.  If I use anything less than 1/2 doesn't work.  On some headaches one needs a full stat dose.  The key to the shots are to take them quickly when the headache starts rather than when the headache is fully developed.
Probably a good plan would be to try the O2 then the imitrex if not successful.

Also, look up the links on melatonin.  Some of us had luck with this and is readily available OTC and cheap.

Good luck

John
IP Logged
Artie
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 2nd, 2004, 7:22am »

My husband has chronic clusters.  He is on verapamil and depakote as preventative and uses imitrex or amerge for breakthroughts.  For several years he has benefitted from prednisone tapers. He still has to take the vera/depakote, but it reduces the amount of imitrex/amerge he has to use.   He used to do the tapers 2-3 times a year, this past year he needed them every 8 weeks or so.  Last month the prednisone stopped working at all. I think the bottom line is that prednisone can be helpful for some, but there are alot of side effects with long term use (loss of bone mass, immunosupression, water retention, personality changes and more) .  Also, you can become resistant to it, so use it with great care.  Hope this helps. Artie
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss