Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 12:22am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Melatonin (Thanks Thomas) »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   Melatonin (Thanks Thomas)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Melatonin (Thanks Thomas)  (Read 815 times)
JohnWF
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

Melatonin (Thanks Thomas)
« on: Oct 12th, 2004, 8:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello,

I've been in cycle since January 16th of this year.

I was able to stop taking Topamax, as well as a whole lot of other drugs near the end of July, but just couldn't get the cycle to break (preds didn't work-- like in past years!). Then, I read the post from Thomas and the positive results he experienced with Melatonin.

I took 9 mg. each evening about 45 minutes before bed.  At first, I was getting a good night's sleep, but then I noticed "the beast was being slipped into its cage."  I'm not sure exactly of the date that I went out of cycle, but I decided to drink a few beers last night, and I am out of cycle.  I Know you all know, but I can't tell you how happy I am.

I haven't actually written and posted much, but I've read the posts written here regularly.  I want to thank everyone for their help this year, but most of all Thomas.  Melatonin is good!

Thank you,

John
IP Logged
survivor13
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

thunderstruck
Email

Re: Melatonin (Thanks Thomas)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18th, 2004, 11:30am »

i am currently expierencing the same thing. started taking melt. about a month ago. don't know if this is what is doing it or not. scared to stop just to find out.
IP Logged
marlin
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Nov 18th, 2004, 11:44am »

I think I'm going to the the Melatonin too.

The funny thing is, CHs are just so unpredictable.  You try something new and if hte CHs go away you think whatever you did worked WONDERS.  What you don't really know is if it was just a mere coinicidence and the beast was just fixing to go on down the street to attack someone else regardless of which magic potion you were using at the time.

I'll go to the nutrition store and get some just the same.  New silver bullet for the gun...
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #3 on: Nov 18th, 2004, 12:48pm »

A note of caution to chronics...I have been told that melatonin can be a trigger for us. I have used it only in 3mg doses and only on nights I've had trouble getting sleepy. I am extremely fortunate not to have many night time hits.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Sophie
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Nov 20th, 2004, 1:15am »

I tapered off Topamax about 4 weeks ago, because I could not take the SE. I did not get any CH---but did have round the clock shadows (i think--constant dull pain where ch would be). So I started taking 3 mg of melatonin and the results were great. No shadows--and  
PF. Then the itching began---so I had to stop. I bought a rather cheap brand---and wonder if that was the problem or has anyone else had the same problem. I'm PF now but was planning to use melatonin with next cycle---so disappointed to say the least. Of course an itch would be better than the CH---but it was getting worse every day. Sad about that. Sophie
IP Logged

WHERE ARE WE GOING?
AND WHY AM I IN THIS HANDBASKET?

Cluster Buster
marlin
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Nov 21st, 2004, 12:55pm »

No CHs for the past few days but seem to be having marginal luck sleeping soundly - possibly the pred.  

So I tried 6mg malatonin last night.  Nothing.  Think I'll up it to 9mg.  If that doesn't do anything should I just forget melatonin?
IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 21st, 2004, 9:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

John WF, thanks for the kind words, but I know in my heart that you would do the same thing, I am sooooooo happy you are getting relief.

Marlin, I'll see you in January  Wink.  If 9mgs doesn't do it, I wouldn't give up on the melotonin, I would however, try mixing what is called "time release" melatonin with the regular melatonin, hope you get some relief and sleep soon.
IP Logged
Sophie
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Nov 21st, 2004, 9:46pm »

Thomas: What about me? Can melatonin cause an allergic rash or itch?   Sophie Huh
IP Logged

WHERE ARE WE GOING?

Cluster Buster
thomas

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 21st, 2004, 9:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I've never heard of melatonin causing a rash, as it is produced naturally by our bodies, were you taking anything in conjunction with it?  I would also ask your doctor if it's possible to have an alergic reaction to melatonin.  Sorry I couldn't be of more help.  Undecided
IP Logged
Sophie
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Nov 21st, 2004, 10:18pm »

Ok---thanks----I really can't ask Dr.----he was against my quiting Topamax.  
I check some web sites and found one that suggested, maybe an aditive in certain brands could cause itching--
I sure felt better taking 3 mg mel a night---but this itch occurs---not really a rash---it's on my face and waistline----little bumps---more like hives. I'm not taking any other meds---except sinus OTC---oh well---thank you again---Sophie Undecided
IP Logged

WHERE ARE WE GOING?

Cluster Buster
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss