Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 2:05am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Anyone tried Depakote? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   Anyone tried Depakote?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Anyone tried Depakote?  (Read 486 times)
sioux-z
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

Anyone tried Depakote?
« on: Oct 26th, 2004, 12:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Has anyone tried Depakote (valproic acid).  I think it is a preventative?  If it worked for you how long did it take to see an effect?  Were there any bad side effects?  

I took it for the first time last night at bedtime and woke up 2 hours later with a CH.  I took an Imitrex injection and it was like the first time I used Imitrex.  The side effects were really strong and lasted longer than usual.  Maybe I can use less Imitrex now?  I have been considering trying the Imitrex tip because lately I have been having the CH's more frequently and I know I can only have 2 injections in 24 hours.    

Thanks!
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

Re: Anyone tried Depakote?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26th, 2004, 4:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Depakote is a common drug prescribed to cluster patients. Depakote is used to treat various types of seizure disorders, to prevent migraine headaches, and to control mania associated with bipolar disorder.
Side effects I had while on 1750mg was tremors (shakey hands), hair loss, feelings of confusion. I quit taking that drug about 2 1/2 yrs ago. I did nothing for my CH.
If it is going to help you ... I'd say it would take anywhere from 2 - 6 weeks to kick in.

Unsolved
IP Logged
labantayo
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 26th, 2004, 4:44pm »

when i was first diagnosed with ch's, i was given depakote with prednisone. my ch's got worse after i started taking them. i dont know if it was the said drugs, or my cycle just happened to be really bad. i havent used them since then.
IP Logged
jeffhall
New Board Newbie
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 27th, 2004, 12:32am »

My original general practice doctor prescribed (and seemed devoted to) Depakote.  

It did absolutely nothing for me.  

I spent 4 weeks in agony waiting for it to "kick in".  

Ugg....what a month

I am now devoted to:  Neurontin, Cafergot, and oddly enough Excidrin Migraine

Just my thoughts...

IP Logged
sioux-z
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 27th, 2004, 9:42am »

Thanks guys!  I found another post about it also from a few months ago and the consensus was it didn't work for anyone.  I have an appointment with my Neuro next Mon. so I'll keep using it at least until then.  I think I'm going to try adding Melatonin tonight.  I've read that it has worked for some people and it may also lessen the dosage you need of other meds- which is good since everyone thinks my Verapamil dose is way too low also- 80mg x 2 per day.  No CH last night though so I'm happy today!
IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 27th, 2004, 9:49am »

Come on now, it had to work for someone...

My neuro told me he had treated 'hundreds of cluster patients' with it.

Of course, I didn't think he had treated them 'well', and I never even bothered to fill the prescription.  Undecided

Anybody?

IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 27th, 2004, 5:59pm »

D tried it a long time ago . . it didn't help . . .Depakote works on the frontal lobe, so it makes sense, to me, that it wouldn't do jack for CH.
*positive light and energy*
miapet
IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
ccbiggsoo7
New Board Veteran

« Reply #7 on: Oct 28th, 2004, 3:03am »

Have been chronic for 8 years and it worked  for me for about 2 years. Then went to other shit for a while, came back and tried it 5 years later and nothing. It is a pretty popular choice among Neuros though. It should take about 2 or 3 weeks to get benifits if any. After that try something else. Verapamil or lithium or both as a combo. Or Neurontin . I have bounced back and forth between all of these over the years with success with all of these, at different times. You got to be a test dummie for a little while to find out what works for you.
IP Logged

chris
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #8 on: Oct 28th, 2004, 4:48pm »

I tried it.  Got up to 1500mg and it did nothing for me, so the neuro pulled me off it.

Gator
IP Logged
IndianaJohn
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Into the jaws of the Beast we ride!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 29th, 2004, 4:12pm »

I tried depakote once.  It made my CH much worse in frequency and severity.  I personally would never take it again, but hey, if it works for you - great.

John
IP Logged

Did my brains fall out or is this headache over?
EvertBoer
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 29th, 2004, 6:40pm »

My last cycle that lasted 7 months, I tried Depakote for the first time.  The dosage was about 500 MG twice a day. I can't say it helped, since I was getting hit all the time anyways, although since I was able to abort almost all of them with just oxygen, maybe it did. I did notice that I did not get my regular migraines while I was taking them.
IP Logged
kcorrigan
New Board Newbie
USA 

Do, or Do Not... There is no Try          ~ Yoda

katies_passion   katiespassion
WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 2nd, 2004, 5:59pm »

Ugh... I'm just reading all of these posts. The neuro I went to see today put me on this and something else (some kind of anti-histamine I think - they won't have it in until tomorrow).

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to try this and see. So much for my couple of PF days. They're back and with a vengeance!  

Oh, anyone have any tips for requesting a leave of absence? I have worked 3 days in the past 2 1/2 weeks. There's no way that I'm stressing myself out about going in anymore until this cycle is over - if it ever ends.

Thanks. With love,

K
IP Logged

Katie Corrigan

Passion Parties by Katie
I love my job! You can too
www.katiespassion.com
888-420-1501
eyhavhedaches
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 3rd, 2004, 11:11am »

I  am currently prescribed depakote. I have been taking it for three years now. It has worked the best for me but only with trial and error. I use depakote as a preventative, along with verapimil also a preventative and I also use Imitrex injections for the ones I can't control. This regimen has worked great and then other times was not quite effective but managed to make it more berable.  

It is deffinately worth a try but don't expect immediate results, you and your docter have to experiment with the dosage before you will find whats right for you. I started at a very low dosage 500 mg a day and it wasn't enough. After trying differant doses and differant ways of taking the medicine we have found a happy medium where the drug is actually effective enough to lessen the frequency and severity of the attacks. However, I do not believe that it is primarily related to just this one medication.  

As I stated before I also take verapimil. This medication has also given me respected results and again had to experiment with just how the medicine was best used to treat my CH.  

Depakote I take 1500 mg a day only during my cycle, when I start to feel my cycle comming on I begin my regular doses of depakote, however I never start out dosing at 1500 mg. I start out with 500 mg first week, than 750 mg the next week and finally 1000 by the third week.

Now my verapimil, that was a completely differant kind of drug and is a little bit more dangerous to play around with than depakote. Verapimil is a med used to treat blood pressure but is also a common CH Preventative treatment.
It is noted that at the beggining of your CH or a short time before the sufferer experiances a spike in their blood pressure and this must be true because when I was taking the verapimil twice a day it was ineffective, however taking the Verapimil at first sign of a CH was twice as effective than taking twice a day. It does not always work but I can manage to stear away from many of my headaches by taking the med this way. The only down side to this is if your headache returned 2 or three hours later you would not beable to dose again for 9 or 10 hours. As always do not change how you take your meds without talking to your docter, everything I have tried with my meds has been while under a physicians care.  The best defense against CH is getting a docter who is willing to let you help in your own care.  Get a docter who listens and will help you try differant things. Constantly give advice to your docter, alot times they won't try it if you don't suggest it.  
Peace
IP Logged

When pain is a daily event, the smallest of things can be a miracle!
Magick

Email

« Reply #13 on: Nov 6th, 2004, 12:31pm »

Ben on it for a few weeks now. Nothing yet.  Neuro is pulling me off the verap as well. I have o2 and trex for abortives. I'm still getting hit 4-5 times a night with 7-9 kippers. I can abort 3 out of 4 of them.  Embarassed
IP Logged
Magick

Email

« Reply #14 on: Nov 8th, 2004, 9:26pm »

My neuro has me on Depakote. I just went to 1500 a day today. I’m tapering off of verap because after ramping up to 360 it had no effect whatsoever. (But I wonder because so many others go to much higher levels) Prednisone worked great but you can’t stay on that and must taper off of it witch means it only works for a short time and is used mostly during build up of another drug like verap for relief until the other drugs level is up. Also tried despramine but that did nothing but make me ill. So far for me no preventive medications has worked except Prednisone. I use Melatonin but that does not stop attacks during sleep. It does however help me fell more rested after short amounts of sleep. So I don’t think it’s a matter of Serotonin levels for me but maybe Erythrocyte choline concentrations. (Lithium administration would fix that but my neuro wants to try the Depakote first. Why do neuros love this stuff so much?)  Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Melissa

Email

« Reply #15 on: Nov 9th, 2004, 11:52am »

I have used Depakote while in cycle and it cuts my CH attack frequency in half.  The best dosage FOR ME is the 250mg SR.  Anything higher makes my brain feel like it's sizzling.

mel
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2004, 11:55am by Melissa » IP Logged
sioux-z
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #16 on: Nov 9th, 2004, 2:43pm »

Thanks everyone for your input!  It has been almost 2 weeks since my last CH.  I started depakote on Oct. 26 and had a CH that night.  The next day I decided to try Melatonin 9mg along with the depakote.  I haven't had a CH since!  I had my first Neuro appt. this cycle on Nov. 1.  He thought that the Melatonin was a waste of time and wanted me to stop taking that and the Verapamil that wasn't doing any good this cycle anyway.  I was scared but I did what he said and so far so good.  Only bad thing- I'm STARVING- I have gained 5 pounds in 2 weeks.  Oh well- it's better than the headaches.  I know my Neuro doesn't agree but maybe the combination of Melatonin and Depakote was key.  I have heard that it takes awhile to see a result from Depakote- one day?  I was having CH's every night.
IP Logged
Melissa

Email

« Reply #17 on: Nov 9th, 2004, 10:17pm »

sioux-z, when did your cycle begin?  I am curious to know how long you have been having ch's before you went pain free.  Also, yes, it does take awhile for the depakote to kick in, I know it took about 3-4 days to kick in for me.

mel
IP Logged
Magick

Email

« Reply #18 on: Nov 10th, 2004, 3:46am »

Damm wish this was the case for me. I'm still getting hit 3-4 times a night.  

Depakote :1500mg's a day
Verapamill: 360 and tapering off
Melatonin: 9mg's and hour before bed and another 3mg's when my head hits the pillow.

So far Prednisone is the only thing that has had any effect at all. I did a 60mg taper at 3 days per dose. 60, 50, 40, etc.

Desipramine: 150 mg's a day. This did cut the hits down to one a night like the prednisone. But the one attack that night  was ALWAYS a 9 or 10 and lasted 1 1/2 hrs. Also had every side effect listed. NEVER AGAIN!  Embarassed
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss