Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 3:33am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Melatonin »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   Melatonin
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Melatonin  (Read 598 times)
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

Melatonin
« on: Oct 28th, 2004, 1:22am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi guys!

My mother told me that there's an article (she read about the article in a general newspaper) about HAs and melatonin.  

In the article a research came to the conclusion that the lack of melatonin is triggering HAs. I am now wondering if it could be one reason why we are getting CHs. Has anybody's neuro talked about this option?

I haven't seen the article myself, but if one of you gets your hands at medical journals, it should be in NEUROLOGY, number 24, 2004.

Best wishes,
sandie99
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

thudpucker
New Board Junior
USA 

There's a shadow hanging over me.

Email

Re: Melatonin
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28th, 2004, 2:48pm »

I'm new here, but I had the feeling that the connection between ch and melatonin had been pretty well established.  Upon the advice of the clusterheads here, I started taking 6mg of melatonin at night, and I've been pf since (couple of weeks now).

I went to the Neurology web site

http://www.neurology.org/current.shtml

where I found that the current issue is

October 26 2004, Volume 63, Issue 8

I searched the magazines from 1999 to present for all of cluster+headache+melatonin, and got one hit:

Melatonin, 3 mg, is effective for migraine prevention
Peres et al. Neurology.2004; 63: 757  

...There is increasing evidence that melatonin secretion and pineal function are related to headache disorders....
...Altered melatonin levels have been found in cluster headache, migraine with and without aura, 1 menstrual migraine,...

I don't know whether this is the article your mother was referring to or not.  There doesn't seem to be a "number 24" is this Neurology magazine (journal).  In any event, they wanted $20 for a day's access to the article, and I was reluctant to pungle up too quickly.

But I do have a related question for the folks who are using melatonin at night:  have you or has anyone tried taking melatonin during the day as a preventive--like 6mg at night and maybe 3mg during the day to maintain?  (About 99% of my ha's occur at night, and I haven't had a daytime one yet this cycle, knock on wood and hope I didn't just invoke the jinx.)

thudpucker
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 28th, 2004, 8:32pm »

Actually there are a number of articles documenting the correlation between Seratonin levels and clusters.  Melatonin is a very close relation, so it makes sense that increasing your levels of Melatonin might help with attacks.  Certainly does for me.

You might be able to learn more by searching for Seratonin and how it affects the body.  

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 31st, 2004, 11:55pm »

Started taking 3mg malatonin 34 days ago - - - have not had over a KIP 5 since.  Two or three days prior to trying the melatonin, I had a KIP 8-9 at a favorite watering hole and gave them a show - - - had one well-intentioned fellow praying over me and others (many friends) insisting on driving me to the emergency room, and I telling them it would be gone by the time we got there.
   My headaches just returned about two months ago and were getting steadily worse and more frequent.  Had gotten my Verapamil refilled and of course my 02 (just finished knocking one out while typing this - -  wonderful 02)   I had reservations about starting the Verapamil again, and haven't yet if the Melatonin will keep them manageable.  My reservations have to do with lowered blood pressure -  -  - I stopped taking Verapamil and Altace approx. 5-6 mos. ago because my blood pressure was uncomfortably low and I also was about to start a 3 mos. course of chemo therapy (successful I'm told - - another scan in a few weeks)......................sooooo, I'm hoping the Melatonin will do the trick.  So far, I'm impressed

Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
floridian

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 1st, 2004, 8:41am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Clusterheads have low melatonin production, and that is a year round problem even in episodics.  The total amount produced is low, and there is "blunted peak' after falling asleep compared to most 'normal' people (who have a definite spike during sleep).  

Low serotonin will generally lead to low melatonin production, as serotonin is a building block for melatonin.  But in some, the problem is from a lack of communication between the hypothalamus and pineal gland, or a malfunctioning pineal gland.  

This article is one of the classics on melatonin and cluster headache. 6-sulphatoxymelatonin is the metabolized form of melatonin that is excreted, and for the most part, it is a good measure of melatonin levels in the blood.  

Quote:
Cephalalgia. 1998 Dec;18(10):664-7.  

Abnormal 24-hour urinary excretory pattern of 6-sulphatoxymelatonin in both phases of cluster headache.

Leone M, Lucini V, D'Amico D, Grazzi L, Moschiano F, Fraschini F, Bussone G.

Neurological Department and Headache Centre, Istituto Nazionale Neurologico C. Besta, Milan, Italy.

The typical cyclic occurrence of cluster headache suggests the involvement of hypothalamic rhythm regulating centers in the pathogenesis of this primary headache. In previous studies, reduced 24-h plasma melatonin levels during the cluster period, loss of circadian melatonin secretion in remission, as well as permanently reduced excretion of urinary melatonin in both illness phases have been reported, supporting the hypothesis of a hypothalamic derangement. In this study, the 24-h urinary excretion of the main melatonin metabolite, 6-sulphatoxymelatonin, was evaluated in 20 cluster period cluster headache patients. Thirteen were retested 12 months later, in the same period of the year, during remission. Fourteen age- and sex-matched healthy subjects were the controls. As expected, significantly higher levels of 6-sulphatoxymelatonin were present in nocturnal urine than in day-time urine in controls, while in both cluster headache groups urinary levels of this metabolite did not differ between day and night. Nocturnal levels of 6-sulphatoxymelatonin were significantly lower in both cluster headache groups than controls. Day-time levels did not differ significantly between the groups. Altered excretion of urinary 6-sulphatoxymelatonin even during remission indicates that at least some of these anomalies are independent of the pain, and provides further evidence of involvement of the hypothalamic rhythm regulating centers in cluster headache.

Here's a recent article on pineal cysts (which can disrupt melatonin production) and headache:

Quote:
Headache. 2004 Oct;44(9):929-30.  

Headaches and pineal cyst: a (more than) coincidental relationship?

Peres MF, Zukerman E, Porto PP, Brandt RA.

Pineal cysts are common findings in neuroimaging studies. The cysts are more frequent in women in their third decade of life. Pineal cysts can be symptomatic, headache is the most common symptom. The pineal gland has important physiological implications in humans, but little is known about the impact of pineal cysts in human physiology. We report 5 headache patients with pineal cyst, 4 women, 1 man, mean age 37.6, mean cyst diameter 10.1 mm. Two patients had migraine without aura, 1 migraine with aura, 1 chronic migraine, and 1 hemicrania continua. Three patients had strictly unilateral headaches. We hypothesize pineal cysts may be not incidental in headache patients, inducing an abnormal melatonin secretion.
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2004, 8:42am by floridian » IP Logged
JSD
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Nov 1st, 2004, 8:40pm »

Just started another wicked cycle a few days ago.  Would like to try the melatonin.  Can one get this OTC ?  

Please excuse the short post.

Thank you.

John
IP Logged
JSD
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Nov 1st, 2004, 9:53pm »

Whew, found the info I needed.  We have it here at our Wal-Mart.  Just got off the phone with them and on my way now.  I'm pretty hyped up !  

Wish me luck.

John
IP Logged
fullhead
New Board Newbie
USA 

GET UP OFFA THAT THANG & DANCE TILL YOU FEEL BETTA

Moorepain  
Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 6th, 2004, 3:36pm »

Have had some success w/ melotonin - increasing from 2 mgs to up to 8. Question: can one OD or get too much?
IP Logged

Thought I was the only Wacko till I found yall!
becky8

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 6th, 2004, 7:31pm »

I was up to 12mg and did good, but after a few weeks you start to feel more like you just can't get moving. Did help alot with my hits. I am going back down to 7 now. good luck.
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 6th, 2004, 7:39pm »

I started having some break through again recently only i decided to actually give my body a rest...9mg wasn't doing it anymore and have gone a week without.

Funny thing is that I got slammed a couple of times this week  faster and harder than it has been in a while.

Time for Melatonin again and some much needed sleep.

Best to all.

E.
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 6th, 2004, 7:45pm »

9mg of melatonin for clusterheads is about average.  I would experiment with different levels and see what works for you.

John
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 6th, 2004, 11:10pm »

on Nov 6th, 2004, 3:36pm, fullhead wrote:
Question: can one OD or get too much?

Melatonin has no known LD50 at this writing which means it is nearly non-toxic

Edited to provide a smooth intro for Don's ad on Melatonin.........one drug that may help, and can't kill you.  
Unless you're _Really_ determined.
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2004, 11:38pm by Mr. Happy » IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
don

Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 6th, 2004, 11:23pm »

I'm the worlds biggest skeptic of OTC supplements, herbs, spices, minerals, potions, lotions, and tonics......but................

I now use melatonin both in and out of cycle.
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2004, 11:24pm by don » IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #13 on: Nov 7th, 2004, 12:09pm »

on Nov 6th, 2004, 11:23pm, don wrote:
I'm the worlds biggest skeptic of OTC supplements, herbs, spices, minerals, potions, lotions, and tonics......but................

I now use melatonin both in and out of cycle.

Whether your society chooses to call something a drug or a supplement or a food ingredient is a politcal decisoin often unrelated to the facts.  Melatonin is a supplement is a hormone is a compound found in plants.  It is as essential to health as insulin, cortisone, or adrenaline.  Someday mainstream medicine in the US will claim it, and it will be a drug, too.  But the profit potential is currently too low to interest most pharmaceutical companies.
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2004, 12:11pm by floridian » IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #14 on: Nov 7th, 2004, 4:22pm »

Quote:
Whether your society chooses to call something a drug or a supplement or a food ingredient is a politcal decisoin often unrelated to the facts.

No argument there. I just believe that most of the OTC stuff suggested to treat CH is like bringing a knife to a gun fight resulting in an un-neccesarily frustrated sufferer.
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2004, 4:23pm by don » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss