Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 2:50am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « What can I try next??? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   What can I try next???
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What can I try next???  (Read 419 times)
becky8

Email

What can I try next???
« on: Nov 7th, 2004, 2:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

5 weeks ago I started on Verapamil. Its seems to help alot, even thought this was a rough weekend for me, but I otherwise pretty good week. Problem is the side effects just kill me and I have tryed EVERYTHING known to mankind to help with my problem but its only a very temporary fix. The consipation thing and now I am starting the nauseous thing. I'm pretty sure its the Verapamil since it comes and goes (I'm on timed released stuff) I take it at bedtime and last night my guts were killing me and now all day today its on and off and I don't have a HA. I am SUPER depressed now case the verapamil works but I can't handle the side effects. I need help here fast, I see my new neuro Tuesday and I thought I was ready to tell him what was working for me and now its not. WHATS the second preventive drug that works good for CH. please need this help ASAP and no jokes now, okay?? I gotta start from scratch and get educated again. THANKS!!!!
IP Logged
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: What can I try next???
« Reply #1 on: Nov 7th, 2004, 2:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Might I suggest a daily...yes daily...stool softener that isn't harsh on your system...better living threw chemistry.

I'm not talking about just till you go and then stop it...I'm talking every day just like you take your Verap.  There is no quick fix for anything in this disease.  The Verap is working for the head....now find a way to deal with the side effects...thats my attack plan and has been for months.  I don't complain about the constipation and stomach upset.  Hell of a lot better than getting slammed...in addition to the softener take daily fiber tablets, easier to palatt than the drinks, and drink plenty of water.  EVERY DAY!  Think of it as more Head medicine because in it's own way it is.  It's a way we must cope if we are going to beat the beastard.

Don't stop the Verap untill you find out if takeing daily care of the other stuff fails.  Sometimes you have to decide on the lesser of all evils.
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
becky8

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 7th, 2004, 3:05pm »

Is that safe to do??? And about the nausea thing??? I am not a wimp by no means but  the nausea thing about killed me last night, if I get off the timed released stuff and use the sustained help that at all???
IP Logged
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 7th, 2004, 3:08pm »

Stool softeners and fiber tablets are definately safe...laxatives on a long term basis is not...

Part of the nausia can be from the fact that your irregular...fist get yourself as regular as possible...then see how the tummy fairs...that could be as simple as some peppermint and chamomile tea before bed.
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #4 on: Nov 7th, 2004, 3:16pm »

When you find out, let me know, ok?  
I'm on verapamil, too, and it's not exactly working.  
I am having PF day 2 (I don't recall when I had one before these two), but I had hellish week before this. For me verapamil is the preventative no 7, so I am pretty much out of ideas, too...

best wishes & PFdays,
sandie99
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #5 on: Nov 7th, 2004, 3:34pm »

Pegg is right...WATER, WATER AND MORE WATER.
I agree also that fiber and stool softeners are safe, probably even the occasional enema is safe... talk to the doc-he might have some good ideas. Hang in there...
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
don

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 7th, 2004, 4:19pm »

What is your daily verapamil dosage?
IP Logged
becky8

Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 7th, 2004, 8:00pm »

360mg, any suggestions. Everyone keeps telling me just to eat more fiber and drink, drink, drink. Don, I am DOING all that and have been pretty from the beginning cause I knew verapamil did this to you. But I am beginning to think it's really messing up my digestive system? Not just the consipation thing but the upset stomache now with it. Who knows??? Don or anyone any ideas???
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 7th, 2004, 8:17pm »

Well. Talk to the Doc about cutting back on the dosage or replacing the verapamil with another blood pressure med that will provide the same theraputic effect on the CH. without the side effects.
IP Logged
becky8

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 7th, 2004, 8:27pm »

Don,
I have been reading and I have the HeadHelp Book (the newest one) I read that lithum with the verapamil works good but I don't want to be a zombie. Do you know much about the combo???The funny thing it says that Verapamil has the least amount of side effects than any of them. BUT since we are all different maybe it just does that too me??? I am dumbfounded AGAIN!!! LOL!!!
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 7th, 2004, 8:53pm »

Hi Becky,

I seem to remember you were going to add Magnesium to your daily diet?  I will tell you that I had HORRIBLE stomach problems when I was taking it - my constipation from the Verap was a little better, but I was nauseous almost all the time.  I don't think it affects too many people this way, but it sure did me!  Two days after I stopped it, my stomach problems were gone.  

If you're taking it now, you might want to try a few days off it and see if you get better without having to eliminate the Verapamil.

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
becky8

Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 7th, 2004, 9:03pm »

Kris,
Once again good advice. You're right I did just add that not to long ago. Maybe thats whats upsetting my stomache. The other problem, do you know if its safe to take stool softeners everyday???
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 7th, 2004, 9:05pm »

Absolutely safe - highly recommend it!

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #13 on: Nov 7th, 2004, 9:09pm »

Hi Becky,

Stomach upset with verapamil is not unheard of:

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/verapsr_ad.htm

I don't know everything you've tried, but if I were you, I would try Lithium.

Generally, here's my 'Order of Preventatives' plan (please note I've only ever tried indomethacin, verapamil, psilocybin, melatonin, and prednisone... so this list is simply 'my plan' with the order that I would try things):

Tier 1
1.  Indomethacin
2.  Verapamil
3.  Psilocybin
4.  Melatonin
5.  Lithium
6.  Verapamil + Lithium

Tier 2 (for when desperation sets in)
7.  Topamax
8.  Neurontin
9.  Methocarbamol, etc
10.  Inderal
11.  Any combination from Tier 1 and Tier 2

Tier 3 (grasping for straws... and stuff... total desperation)
12.  Prednisone
13.  DHE
14.  Depakote
15.  Clomid
16.  Aricept

Tier 4 (avoid at all costs... I refuse to take these... but... never say 'never')
17.  Narcotics (methadone, fentanyl, etc)
18.  Paxil, Zoloft, Serzone, etc
19.  Olanzapine, Aripiprazole,  Seroquel, etc
20.  Sansert

IMHO, once past Tier 1, the choices are not good.... it's like choosing between 'dark' and 'darker' and I would consider 'existing' by aborting with triptans and oxygen before moving to Tier 2.

--- Steve
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
becky8

Email

« Reply #14 on: Nov 7th, 2004, 9:10pm »

Hope you have the best week ever!!! Thanks for your help once again, I will get off the magnesium and try the other stuff daily. If I was with you now I would buy you the BIGGEST ICE-CREAM sundae ever ( hot fudge)YUM!!!
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #15 on: Nov 7th, 2004, 9:17pm »

Quote:
( hot fudge)

ROFLMMFAO

You Wish!
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #16 on: Nov 7th, 2004, 10:00pm »

Wendy- Verapamil and lithium are working for me. The first week of lith was kinda weird. Muscle tension and spaciness, but it got better. I take 240ER  verap in the am, and 120ER verap and 150 lithium at bedtime. Hang in there sweetie. I also take 1800 mg of Neurontin a day. It's hard, but you're going to have to decide which is the lesser of two evils. Sad
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Renee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

May we all find some pf time!  Is it summer yet?

Email

« Reply #17 on: Nov 7th, 2004, 10:59pm »

Have you tried Zonegran?  It is in the Topomax family but without all the side effects that topomax has.

If verap fails ya, ya might ask about the zonegran.

Let me know if ya have any questions about it,
Renee
IP Logged

23 years of battling the beast, 9 years chronic......uneducated docs/nurses make me irate.
The fungus among us is for real!

becky8

Email

« Reply #18 on: Nov 8th, 2004, 9:20am »

Thanks guys (ladies) for all the suggestions, hanging on. See the big expert tomorrow, so we will see?????Oh, Don, I will be sure to keep you informed of my daily bowl habits cause I know it makes your day!!! What'd think Nani? Won't Don enjoy that!! LOL!!!!
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #19 on: Nov 8th, 2004, 10:25am »

I would try a lower dose of lithium mixed in with 900mg lithium.  If the verapamil still bothers you try it with just the lithium.  The lihtium alone did wonders for me for a couple of years.  Good luck!!
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss