Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 7:27am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « lithium Questin »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   lithium Questin
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: lithium Questin  (Read 2477 times)
becky8

Email

lithium Questin
« on: Nov 12th, 2004, 1:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Saw the Neuro Tuesday, he didn't really know about CH but he did take my reviews to read and did end up giving me lithium (but that was AFTER yesterday I ended up at ER) I had gotta 02 and I even did a full stat trex shot but not soon enough. He first wanted me to try Caratrol and it didn't do anything thats why I ended up in ER. He finallly agreed to the lithium but only at 300mg and I am still on verapamil (which he made 320mg instead of the 360mg I was on) he's worried about my weight? Is that really an issue with Lithium? I know its not with Verpamil. Can anyone tell me their experience with the lithium and verapamil together. How long before you know if its working and what are the side effects.
IP Logged
Miklos
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: lithium Questin
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12th, 2004, 5:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

In cycle I take both verapamil and lithium carbonate: 480 mg/day of verapamil (two 240s) and 900 mg/day of lithium (three 300s). I have had no side effects from the verapamil.  

Some folks (like me) do get side effects from the lithium: frequent urination and on occasion, explosive episodes of diarrhea.  

The main concern with lithium is that it can be toxic to the liver so initially I had lithium levels taken every two weeks. I no longer get the lithium levels because there was never any indication of toxic levels at 900 mg/day.  

Be sure and follow your doctor's advice about ending either medication. One does not go "cold turkey" with either of these medications.
IP Logged

Don't be offended by my frank analysis. Think of it as personality dialysis.
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 12th, 2004, 8:29pm »

Many clusterheads are successfully treated with the Lithium - Verapamil combo.

Your doses are still low

PF Wishes,
UNsolved
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #3 on: Nov 12th, 2004, 9:52pm »

I'm on both- 360mg verapamil and a very low dose of 150mg lithium carbonate . I don't recall seeing anything on weight gain in the side effects. Frankly it would be hard for me to tell- I've been gaining for awhile... Undecided
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 13th, 2004, 9:02am »

Check your PM's

I'm not sure if weight has anything to do with Lithium dosages. Good question...sorry I can't answer that one.

Unsolved
IP Logged
kissmyglass
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Don't Mix Triptans

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 13th, 2004, 9:50am »

I take 480 mg. Verap & 900 Mg Lithium  with no side affects at all.
Since you take Verap already (although low dose) I think adding the Lithium will help you rather quickly.

Good Luck

Kev
IP Logged

"It does so fucking look like her" - Picasso
[img][/img]
becky8

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 13th, 2004, 3:04pm »

Okay, I am getting some where. About week before I know if the lithium is helping??? Now I know with my next question you're all going to say talk to the doctor. But I am the one educating him. He gave 80's Verapamil cause I asked for them but they say 1, 4times a day (thats only 320) I was doing 360 when I went to him Tuesday but we did add lithium (only300) Since I have 80mg's maybe I'll just raise it on my own. I did it last DR. (no CH knowledge) and it worked for awhile anyway. I have a blood pressure machine so I can moniter. Think I am crazy??? My blood pressure is good on the 360mg. Sorry pain does werid things to people. If I am careful, what do you think. Just want to go to 400mg's???
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 13th, 2004, 3:20pm »

I would hope that no one here would advise you to increase your doses without a doctors consent.  
Too much Verapamil can cause dizziness, fainting, decreased blood pressure, slowed heart rate, and other side effects.

Unsolved
IP Logged
becky8

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 13th, 2004, 3:25pm »

I know, and thats what everyone said not too the last time. When I was like on something useless like 80mg or something. Everyone says unless you are at 480mg is too low? Now is that if your not on lithium too, Unsloved????If not whats the point of taking it at all if it only helps at 480 and above????
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 13th, 2004, 4:09pm »

Verapamil may help different ppl at different doses. I've always heard that Verapamil by itself usually won't help until a dose of somewhere between 480mg - 960mg per day (for CH). Verapamil & Lithium is a very common combination to combat CH. A "theraputic' level of Lithium should be obtained (Usually that level is achieved @ 900mg per day) and blood tests will show what levels are in your blood. A lower dose of Verapamil may (only) be needed when used in combination with Lithium.

PS. I can't handle 480mg of Verapamil per day.  Undecided

Unsolved

IP Logged
becky8

Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 13th, 2004, 4:20pm »

Unsolved1, thanks you're making me understand it more now. But until I have a blood test in 2weeks I won't know what my level is??? Please you're really helping me to understand. I mean I don't need to be on900mg lithium, just my level needs to be there??? Sorry I am going thru my worst time ever, hit constantly and level 9's mostly. Reaching here!!!
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 13th, 2004, 6:05pm »

on Nov 13th, 2004, 4:20pm, becky8 wrote:
until I have a blood test in 2weeks I won't know what my level is???

Correct  Wink

on Nov 13th, 2004, 4:20pm, becky8 wrote:
I mean I don't need to be on900mg lithium, just my level needs to be there???

Correct  Wink
IP Logged
Jonny

Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 13th, 2004, 11:24pm »

on Nov 12th, 2004, 5:13pm, Miklos wrote:
I no longer get the lithium levels because there was never any indication of toxic levels at 900 mg/day.  

Anyone that is taking Lithium everyday for more than six months should have blood work done EVERY six months for as long as they are taking it, Ive been taking 600 mg's everyday for the last 13 years and always have blood work every six months.

Any doc that says you dont need blood work is an idiot!

................................jonny
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #13 on: Nov 20th, 2004, 1:51pm »

I was on 900mg of lithium and never had a blood test once.  I had 3 different drs monitoring me.  my gp, my neuro, and my shrink.  All were familiar with lithium.  Yet I went over 2 years with no blood tests.  They said they knew the signs of poisoning and would have me off the stuff quickly if I started showing signs.  I had no problem with that.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Jonny

Email

« Reply #14 on: Nov 20th, 2004, 1:57pm »

on Nov 20th, 2004, 1:51pm, Karla wrote:
Yet I went over 2 years with no blood tests.  

Its funny how a doc will wait long enough for signs of symptoms....by then the damage would have been done.

Those docs ought to be lined up and shot!!!

..............................jonny
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2004, 1:58pm by jonny » IP Logged
kissmyglass
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Don't Mix Triptans

Email

« Reply #15 on: Nov 20th, 2004, 7:34pm »

Wow Karla thats amazing.  My neuro (Very cluster knowledgable) said  no bloodtests, no lithium.  It is a MUST.
I'm not really sure what happens when you go toxic on Lithium but I believe it's not pretty.

Kev
IP Logged

"It does so fucking look like her" - Picasso
[img][/img]
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #16 on: Nov 20th, 2004, 11:39pm »

Verapamil increases lithium levels in your blood. My neuro has me on a very low dose of lith and insists I get checked every couple of months. When I was in the ER recently they checked my lith levels there. It seems that most responsible docs will be on top of that.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
ccbiggsoo7
New Board Veteran

« Reply #17 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 4:00pm »

Must have lith levels done, lith is absorbed through the liver, effective treatment is very close to lethal dosage. Get levels checked every six months. Chris
IP Logged

chris
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #18 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 4:09pm »

absolutely you should have blood tests while on lithium!  Mike found his best results at 720mgs Verap and 900 mgs Lithium when he was last in cycle.  But he had to ramp up on both meds, being blood tested each time the lithium was increased.  He only stayed at 900 for a couple of weeks before his cycle finally ended, though and then had to ramp down again on both meds until he was completely tapered off.

And, Chris, I have to disagree - 900mgs of Lithium isn't "very close to lethal dose".  That is the highest  cluster dose usually recommended, but for bi-polar symptoms, it can go as high as 1800mgs.  
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
ccbiggsoo7
New Board Veteran

« Reply #19 on: Dec 25th, 2004, 4:16pm »

Marge I didn't say 900 mg was lethal dose I just said effective dose is close to lethal dose. There is measurements that you will have to be in per body weight, tolerance that you must be in for the lithium to be effective. Each person is different. Only a blood test will determine if you need more or less. Kinda like a 500 pound guy and a 100 pound guy having a beer drinking contest. 9 times out of 10 the big guy needs more. Chris
IP Logged

chris
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss