Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 6:30pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Triptan as preventative. »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   Triptan as preventative.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Triptan as preventative.  (Read 754 times)
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

Triptan as preventative.
« on: Nov 23rd, 2004, 5:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Cephalalgia
Volume 24 Issue 12 Page 1045  - December 2004
doi:10.1111/j.1468-2982.2004.00734.x  

Frovatriptan for the treatment of cluster headaches  
HC Siow1, P Pozo-Rosich1 & SD Silberstein1

Cluster headaches both episodic and chronic are some of the most challenging headaches to treat. Although effective treatments are now available, some patients continue to be unresponsive to standard therapy. We present 17 patients from our practice whom we treated preventively with frovatriptan, a new triptan with a long half-life. The promising results suggest that this medication may be an useful addition to our ammaterium against this painful disorder.  

IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
pubgirl

Email

Re: Triptan as preventative.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23rd, 2004, 6:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Are they saying it stopped the attacks in these patients? I'm not sure what "promising" means Huh

Trouble is, not many here seem to have had great results with Frova, some even said it gave them a migraine type headache in addition to the CH hits.

I'm a bit loathe to go down the triptan prevention route as apart from no-one I know who has tried it thinks it works, I also would have thought you are then in trouble if you get hit and have no 02 as you can't take more than your two triptan doses every 24 hours (or is Frova different in some way?)

Wendy
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 24th, 2004, 9:39am »

Unfortunately I don't have a subscription to Cephalgia so I can only see the abstracts of the articles and not all the details.

Frova does have a half-life of 22-23 hours so it stays in your system much longer than Imitrex (2-3 hour half-life).  I read the testing on Frova and it said that doses up to 10 times what is receommended had little to no side effects.  Theory is that if aborts your attacks, take 1 pill a day as a preventative.
IP Logged

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Giuliano
New Board Junior
Italy 

enjoy the silence

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 25th, 2004, 6:50am »

Hy guys,

We even heard about a new triptan formula with this features coming during last our italian meeting in may.I was getting by doctor 2 pills to test based on feat. and did test them with no result neither as preventive nor abortive ......but it could not be the same ,since I'm italy.
Keep us in the loop about it.

Is anyone doing or did some trials with SSRI medicine as preventive ?

Thanks
Giuliano
IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 25th, 2004, 12:12pm »

Zomig has a longer half life too.
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
Roxy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 29th, 2004, 7:56pm »

Since the Relpax quit working for me, I am trying Frova.  I've only been on it for about three weeks now, but I am using it as a preventative.  I take one table around noon, and another around 9pm.  I got the migraine type headaches for only about three or four days....then my body seemed to adjust.

It has been working.  I get a few breakthroughs, probably only two or three a day, and they seem to only hit around 8 on the kip scale, and don't seem to last longer than 30 or 40 minutes.  I know that nothing I have ever tried has kicked all of my ch's away, but this treatment might really do the trick for a lot of people.

I just hope this one keeps working longer than the Relpax did.
IP Logged

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. (Einstein)

I used to have a handle on life....but it broke.
JJA
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 30th, 2004, 8:46am »

on Nov 23rd, 2004, 6:43pm, pubgirl wrote:
Are they saying it stopped the attacks in these patients? I'm not sure what "promising" means

Quote:
In the group of 9 patients with episodic cluster headaches, 8 of them had a good response with 100% relief with no cluster headaches while on frovatriptan...  One patient...had a moderate response with 50% improvement in their headaches. This patient was newly diagnosed, probably chronic and was in the 10th month of his cluster cycle...

Of the 8 patients with chronic cluster headaches, 3 had complete relief, 1 patient had at least a 75% response rate, 2 patients had 50% relief and 2 patients had no relief.  Of these 7 patients [You do the math, I count 8???] 1 took 5mg q day, 6 took 2.5 mg bid and 1 took 2.5 mg q day.

Jesse

Edited to add: This is an uncontrolled (no placebo group) study.  Patients were allowed to be on other medications at the same time, but not other triptans.  Most were taking verapamil and melatonin while the effectiveness of frovatriptan was being assessed.
« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2004, 8:55am by JJA » IP Logged

Is it illegal because it's dangerous or is it dangerous because it's illegal? Our drug laws are ruining lives.
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 30th, 2004, 10:04am »

Quote:
Zomig has a longer half life too.  

The mean elimination half-life of zolmitriptan and of the active N-desmethyl metabolite is 3 hours.
IP Logged

"SHUT UP HUB!"
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 30th, 2004, 10:21am »

This is all great. Too bad that Frova won't help me. I tried it several times at MHNI and suffered the consequences.  

Thank god for Imitrex !!

Unsolved
IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 30th, 2004, 1:15pm »

I tried Zomig before going to bed as a prevent when in cycle as an experiment as I still had 02 as my back-up if it didn't work.

It didn't

Got hit an hour later as usual

Wendy
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #10 on: Dec 2nd, 2004, 2:04pm »

I've seen different people on here saying Zomig kept them pf for anywhere from 10 to 24 hours, depending on the person.  For me, I could use it and get hit an hour and a half later.

As with everything else...it may help some.  I am happy for those people.

Gator

IP Logged
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 2nd, 2004, 11:32pm »

Yay it finally got published.  My former neuro did that study.  I've been saying for quite a long time that there were studies done on triptans as preventives, but nobody ever believes me!  The intention in this article is prevention for a very short term....generally not meant to be used for chronic cluster headache.

The authors (while I definately wouldn't speak for them) all practice under the premise that any analgesic (including triptans) cause rebound.  I can't get my current neuro to let me take Amerge preventitavely at night, which is the only triptan which has worked for me so far.

Ah well...I'll look for the full article if you all want.

Lizzie2/Carrie
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss