Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 9:13pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Increase Topomax = increase pain?? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   Increase Topomax = increase pain??
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Increase Topomax = increase pain??  (Read 496 times)
heprat
New Board Newbie
USA 

Growning old is mandatory - Growing up is optional

Increase Topomax = increase pain??
« on: Dec 15th, 2004, 5:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've been in the thick of a cycle since Thanksgiving.  Started 50mg Topomax per night shortly after.  Was still experienceing 4-5 visits per night - mostly level 4 and 5s with a couple 7 and 8s thrown in.  My neuro wanted to knock it out and bumped the dose to 100mg.  Last night being the first night at 100 mg and bam...6 attacks with a level 10+ hit that lasted an hour plus a bunch of shorter 5/6 and 7/8 hits.  I went through two e bottles of O2 last night - one on the big hit alone.  It was fugly to say the least.  

Did I piss the beast off with the higher dose?  Has anyone else experienced this?
IP Logged
allan_r
New Board Newbie
USA 

Re: Increase Topomax = increase pain??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15th, 2004, 9:04pm »

Not personally, but I read that Topomax can have an effective range but that increased dosage may become ineffective.  

I had a set of bad HA's three to five days after starting, but then they tapered off and went down in scale and intensity.  Raised the dosage slowly.  Now down to a shadow or a 3-5 every other day or so.  

My neuro told me the dosage range was up to 600 mg.  
I  am at 200 now.  

Maybe this drug just isn't working for you.  Has it been effective in the past?

allan r.
IP Logged
heprat
New Board Newbie
USA 

Growning old is mandatory - Growing up is optional

« Reply #2 on: Dec 15th, 2004, 9:56pm »

on Dec 15th, 2004, 9:04pm, allan_r wrote:
 Has it been effective in the past?

Hard to say.  The last episode, 9/02, is the first time I tried it.  I wasn't sure if it worked or if the cycle ended.  
IP Logged
bobbio56
New Board Newbie
USA 

Joke 'em if they can't take a ....

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 15th, 2004, 10:26pm »

Tried Topa twice. Didn't work either time. During 2nd attempt, had a killer run of HAs. Probably coincidence though since even 100 mg of pred. didn't faze them.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss