Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 1:39pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Does Psilocybin cause vasoconstriction? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   Does Psilocybin cause vasoconstriction?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Does Psilocybin cause vasoconstriction?  (Read 6309 times)
PaulL
New Board Newbie
USA 

Does Psilocybin cause vasoconstriction?
« on: Dec 18th, 2004, 7:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I can't take Imatrex any more, the only medication that's ever worked, because I had a heart attack several years ago, so I'm thinking of trying psilocybin.  But after reading about it, psilocybin seems to be closely related to Imatrex.  Does it cause vasoconstriction?  Do you get a rise in blood pressure during use?  What's the risk here?
IP Logged
catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Taz taught me the cluster dance

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

Re: Does Psilocybin cause vasoconstriction?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18th, 2004, 7:46pm »

Paul I'm sure the experts will be along to answer soon, but from what we were told when Roxy had her cardiac event, it does contribute to vasoconstriction.  

I'm not sure that I believe this, as it has not ever had a negative effect on Roxy since then.

I'd be willing to bet that using the shrooms together with triptans might be an issue, but I don't believe it is on it's own.

Cat
IP Logged

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough
Roxy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 12:12am »

From what the cardiologist explained, if the shrooms are taken as you are supposed to take them....minus the zomig, imitrex, cigarettes, alcohol, vivarin, coffee,....the effect is negligible.

Taken all together in a short period of time......it's a wild ride!!

T
IP Logged

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. (Einstein)

I used to have a handle on life....but it broke.
forgetfulnot

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 4:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I had a heart attack in 1995, no permanet damage, at any rate Imitrex never came up in my rehab discussions. Never had a heart problem from it since then. And I use a bunch. Sometimes these doctors practice CYA instead of medicine.

Lee
IP Logged
Flash

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 20th, 2004, 9:53am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Yes but the effect is VERY mild.  Not in anything like the same league as sumatriptan or ergotamine.  The dose is also so low that the effect becomes negligible.

In this instance I'd recommend the sip method as the larger doses can cause a little anxiety and that is something you should avoid.  The sip doses are so low that there will be no vascular constriction.  

The shrooms do not work by constriction, the mechanism is something else entirely.

Please note that O2 is also a vascular constrictor!!!
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 20th, 2004, 9:56am »

Flash, I have a question for you - one I asked you in email but never got a response.  It's along the lines of this vasoconstriction question.  

If someone is not able to take any of the ergot meds, because of Reynaud's disease, would this also prevent them from using shrooms?    

IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
LeeS
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

I love C12 H16 N2O!

« Reply #6 on: Dec 20th, 2004, 1:01pm »

Hi Margi

I'm sure Flash won't mind me jumping in here.  The most recent info we have is that shrooms should be avoided if CHers suffer with Reynaud's syndrome (cold-triggered reduction or loss of circulation in fingers and toes) because this condition will be made worse by taking a vasoconstrictor, and mushrooms and LSD are vasoconstrictors.

To what extent it will make it 'worse', I don't know, and I'm sure others will put me right if I'm wrong.

-Lee
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 20th, 2004, 1:16pm »

thanks very much, Lee!  I'll pass the info along.

IP Logged

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

pinksharkmark
New Board Veteran
Dominican_Rep 

Clusterhead

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 23rd, 2004, 9:31am »

Psilocybin is a vasoconstrictor, but a very mild one. The effects are shortlived as well. LSD (being ergot based) is also a vasoconstrictor -- if I recall correctly more so than psilocybin, but again it is mild as vasoconstrictors go. And the effects, though longer lasting than those of psilocybin, are also shortlived.  

Should people with Reynaud's Syndrome avoid it? I would guess it would depend on the severity of their case. As has been pointed out already, there are many vasoconstrictors out there. The ones clusterheads typically use (or overuse) being caffeine and nicotine. It's probably not a great idea to "stack" the effects of several vasoconstrictors, but I can't see how using a single mild vasoconstrictor on the very occasional basis that psilocybin is typically taken by clusterheads would throw any but the most severely affected people into any kind of a permanent health crisis.

On the other hand, I don't have a medical degree. My comments above are my personal guesses based on logic and what I have read in the literature on psychedelics. I freely admit that data of which I am currently unaware could change my opinion. Too bad there haven't been more studies in the literature on the interaction of psilocybin with Reynaud's.  

pinky
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 23rd, 2004, 10:15am »

on Dec 23rd, 2004, 9:31am, pinksharkmark wrote:
Too bad there haven't been more studies in the literature on the interaction of psilocybin with Reynaud's.  

pinky

Hopefully, Pinky, we'll be able to collect some data on this in the coming years.  Thanks for your input, Mark.  Merry Christmas to you my misplaced Canadian friend. Smiley

IP Logged

source unknown

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss