Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 12:12am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « What next? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   What next?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What next?  (Read 582 times)
Eb
New Board Newbie
USA 

What next?
« on: Dec 21st, 2004, 10:46am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've suffered from Clusters for nearly two years now (I realize that's relatively little time when compared with some of you)...

For preventatives I've taken Verapamil, Depakote (neither did anything), and Lithium.  I've been on Lithium now for 14 months and it's effectiveness is wearing off.  I started at 900mg and got an HA about once every 10 days on average.  Now I'm up to 1500mg and am getting hit at least once a day...

From reading over earlier posts, I've seen that a lithium/verap combo seems to be a good preventative, and I would like to go that route except that I've been on lithium now for over a year and verapamil did NOTHING for me...

I'm wondering if anyone has initially had no success w/ verapamil alone, but later found that a lithium/verapamil combo worked well....

And also, if a lithium/verapamil combo is not a good next step for me, what might be?    

Thx,

Eb
IP Logged
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Re: What next?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 11:18am »

Oxygen my friend oxygen
IP Logged

Kill em all let God sort em out
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #2 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 11:22am »

Welcome Eb...the verap lithium combo works for me (at least as much as I can expect). Are you having your lithium levels checked regularly? Too much can be toxic. The verap can increase the lith levels in your blood, so talk to your dr about how that might adversly effect you. Are you using an abortive, as well? Oxygen and/or the triptans work well for many here. Look around the boards and see what has worked for others. Arm yourself with as much info as possible and go back and talk to your doc. Pain free wishes to you.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Eb
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 11:29am »

Yes, I'm using Oxygen and Imitrex as abortives....and I've been getting my lithium levels checked regularly...so far so good....

Nani, had you tried verapamil alone before using it in conjunction w/ lithium?  If so, did it help at all?

Eb
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #4 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 11:36am »

Actually, yes I did and no it didn't. I also take Neurontin, which is an anti convulsant like Depalote and Topamax, with far fewer side effects. I'm a chronic though, so I still get hit. They aren't very high kips usually. But I still get hit.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
becky8

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 12:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I am also doing the verapamil/lithium combo and its working pretty good for me! You have to adjust doses on both lithium and verapamil. They would lower the lithium if you're gonna do the verapamil with it!!!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss