Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 10:50am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Drugs For Stress »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   Drugs For Stress
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Drugs For Stress  (Read 10630 times)
unsolved1

Email

Drugs For Stress
« on: Dec 22nd, 2004, 8:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

This maybe a stupid question but .....

Just wondering how many people take something for anxiety & stress ??   Huh

Do they help ?

Unsolved
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

Re: Drugs For Stress
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22nd, 2004, 8:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Dec 22nd, 2004, 8:10pm, unsolved1 wrote:
Just wondering how many people take something for anxiety & stress ??   Huh

Doc writes me script for pamelor (nortriptilene) as a preventative, it could be for something like that, but I don't take them.

Kevin M
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 22nd, 2004, 8:23pm »

The occasional Xanax or Valium........

Sometimes helps when getting too worked up and need to calm down when dealing with the demon
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 22nd, 2004, 8:25pm »

I remember that Eric (E-Double) was taking something like Xanax.  Said it mostly helped come down from freaking out after a Kip9 in the middle of the day.

On occasion, I take a 2mg Valium, but mostly if I wake in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep.

Mostly, I think they help with the worrying about having a CH, not with the CH itself.

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 23rd, 2004, 3:25am »

If there's one thing in this world I crave, it's stress reduction. In spades. Have run the tranq gamut over the years; found you just can't beat the good old fashioned American standby:

And that's how Blue Meanie got his name,
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Netherlands 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Dec 23rd, 2004, 6:17am »

The occassional xanax when getting slammed. It helps to get through the hits otherwise unmedicated.
Haven't  taken valium since I used to borrow them from my mother. Xanax is way better. Just relaxed not doped feeling.
IP Logged
Melissa

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 23rd, 2004, 8:41am »

I was on Xanax for my anxiety (and anxiety attacks).  Although it works great for it, it was a BITCH to get off of (I had the short acting stuff for my anxiety attacks, AND I was taking the sustained release every day, up to 1mg).  If you can find another means of dealing with your anxiety (i.e. exercise, meditation, B12, etc.), I'd say don't go on it, unless you are prepared for the withdrawls of going off it. JMHO

take care,
Smileymel
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2004, 8:42am by Melissa » IP Logged
eddie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

PFDAN TO ALL

« Reply #7 on: Dec 23rd, 2004, 9:19am »

hey, unsolved
how are you i take xanax and yes they do help far as  
stress but not with any kind of HA. i dont abuse what  
i use. i think you should try some and see. hope you  
feel well for the holidays my friend.
eddie
IP Logged

PFDAN TO ALL>><< http://www.putfile.com/ededearl>>><music> http://www.myspace.com/pamneddie
becky8

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 23rd, 2004, 9:28am »

Question to all of you that replyed, I am chronic and on verapamil/lithium combo and the lithium doesn't slow me down but I do feel even keeled by it. If you add something else will you be a zombie?
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 23rd, 2004, 9:33am »

on Dec 23rd, 2004, 8:41am, Melissa wrote:
I was on Xanax for my anxiety (and anxiety attacks).  Although it works great for it, it was a BITCH to get off of (I had the short acting stuff for my anxiety attacks, AND I was taking the sustained release every day, up to 1mg).  If you can find another means of dealing with your anxiety (i.e. exercise, meditation, B12, etc.), I'd say don't go on it, unless you are prepared for the withdrawls of going off it. JMHO

take care,
Smileymel

I agree with Mel.  Xanax is good for anxiety and panic disorders, which I have.  But using it more than occasionally can lead to dependence, and withdrawl from xanax involves lots of anxiety.  Exercise is good - walking, yoga, lifting weights, basketball, whatever.  Stress reduction (meditation, self-hypnosis, restructuring your life, taking occasional breaks) are all good.  

Anxiety is part of who I am, but for me, the panic attacks are generally from something going wrong in my body.  About a year ago, I did a low-carb diet and that shut off the panic attacks.  I gradually upped my carbs and moved back towards a more 'normal' diet, but occassionally I feel edgy like a panic attack is trying to break through, and I cut back on the carbs for a day or two.  

A few herbal alternatives for anxiety include skullcap (scutellaria), passionflower, and jujube seeds.  These contain substances that are similar to valium or xanax (they hit the GABA nerve receptors), but they don't cause drowsiness or memory loss, and they 'seem' to be non-habit forming in preliminary tests.  Also, St. Johns wort has benzo-like properties - one theory now is that it helps mild to moderate depression by blocking stress and anxiety.  

Quote:
Phytomedicine. 2003 Nov;10(Cool:640-9.  

Phytochemical and biological analysis of skullcap (Scutellaria lateriflora L.): a medicinal plant with anxiolytic properties.

Awad R, Arnason JT, Trudeau V, Bergeron C, Budzinski JW, Foster BC, Merali Z.

The phytochemistry and biological activity of Scutellaria lateriflora L. (American skullcap) which has been traditionally used as a sedative and to treat various nervous disorders such as anxiety was studied. In vivo animal behaviour trials were performed to test anxiolytic effects in rats orally administered S. laterifolia extracts. Significant increases in the number of entries into the center of an "open-field arena"; number of unprotected head dips, number of entries and the length of time spent on the open arms of the Elevated Plus-Maze were found. The identification and quantification of the flavonoid, baicalin in a 50% EtOH extract (40 mg/g) and its aglycone baicalein in a 95% EtOH extract (33 mg/g), as well as the amino acids GABA in H2O and EtOH extracts (approximately 1.6 mg/g) and glutamine in a H2O extract (31 mg/g), was performed using HPLC. These compounds may play a role in anxiolytic activity since baicalin and baicalein are known to bind to the benzodiazepine site of the GABAA receptor and since GABA is the main inhibitory neurotransmitter.

Quote:
Addict Biol. 2003 Dec;8(4):379-86.  

Drug/substance reversal effects of a novel tri-substituted benzoflavone moiety (BZF) isolated from Passiflora incarnata Linn.--a brief perspective.

Dhawan K.  

The present work is a mini-review of the author's original work on the plant Passiflora incarnata Linn., which is used in several parts of the world as a traditional medicine for the management of anxiety, insomnia, epilepsy and morphine addiction. A tri-substituted benzoflavone moiety (BZF) has been isolated from the bioactive methanol extract of this plant, which has been proposed in the author's earlier work to be responsible for the biological activities of this plant. The BZF moiety has exhibited significantly encouraging results in the reversal of tolerance and dependence of several addiction-prone psychotropic drugs, including morphine, nicotine, ethanol, diazepam and delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, during earlier pharmacological studies conducted by the author. In addition to this, the BZF moiety has exhibited aphrodisiac, libido-enhancing and virility-enhancing properties in 2-year-old male rats. When administered concomitantly with nicotine, ethanol and delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol for 30 days in male rats, the BZF also prevented the drug-induced decline in sexuality in male rats. Because the BZF moiety isolated from P. incarnata is a tri-substituted derivative of alpha-naphthoflavone (7,8-benzoflavone), a well-known aromatase-enzyme inhibitor, the mode of action of BZF has been postulated to be a neurosteroidal mechanism vide in which the BZF moiety prevents the metabolic degradation of testosterone and upregulates blood - testosterone levels in the body. As several flavonoids (e.g. chrysin, apigenin) and other phytoconstituents also possess aromatase-inhibiting properties, and the IC50 value of such phytomoieties is the main factor determining their biochemical efficacy, by altering their chemical structures to attain a desirable IC50 value new insights in medical therapeutics can be attained, keeping in view the menace of drug abuse worldwide.
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2004, 9:35am by floridian » IP Logged
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #10 on: Dec 23rd, 2004, 9:58am »

There are other drugs for anxiety and stress besides xanax and valium.
They are great but there are oher options too...tons of SSRI's(selective seretonin reuptake inhibitors...like prozac, effexor, zoloft) and a few TCA's(Tricyclic anit-depresants ....like nortriptilene) and even Gabitril. If you see a good shrink, or consult one, they are more familiar with the nuances of each drug that a primary doc may not be. And they can better help you pick one for your specific needs.  

And actually, a good neuro should know because these are often cross off- label precsribed for neuro things .....like HA's.(and the other way around too)

I know all this becasue I've been on quite a few and having said all that I'm on none of those at the moment. Managing my anxiety, and panic attacks, with skills I practice when I meditate.  

Be well,
lionsound
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2004, 9:59am by lionsound » IP Logged
eddie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

PFDAN TO ALL

« Reply #11 on: Dec 23rd, 2004, 10:46am »

effexor hell no,
dont use it, this stuff here had me so screwed up
dreams horible stuff couldnt sleep at all it had the  
oppisite effect. i was so wound up it was like doing
hard drugs speed or somthing. i have used paxil also
another hell no. just me i dont know. paxil was givin  
to me yrs ago not as bad as effexor. effexor is the  
worst thing i have ever put in my body. my wife can  
testify to the horror i went thru and her. it made me
so mean.also nite sweats, no sex drive no eating
so much more bad stuff. its making me sweat just
thinking about it. BAD DRUG

http://www.erowid.org/cgi-bin/search/htsearch.php?config=htdig&restr ict=www.erowid.org&exclude=&words=effexor&method=and

read some of the addictive qualities of this

eddie
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2004, 11:37am by eddie » IP Logged

PFDAN TO ALL>><< http://www.putfile.com/ededearl>>><music> http://www.myspace.com/pamneddie
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 23rd, 2004, 11:34am »

Ugh, when I hear of Paxil, it scares the shit out of me.  I developed a severe physical dependence to it.  Tried to get off it 2 times and I couldn't.  Finally did it, but suffered severely (projectile vomiting, a month of electric zaps in head, a month of vertigo) and became violent (woke up from sleep pulling my fist out of a broken window).  It is not a common reaction to Paxil, but has happened to many people.  Be careful with that shit.

--- Steve
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
IndianaJohn
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Into the jaws of the Beast we ride!

Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 23rd, 2004, 12:22pm »

I asked my GP for something for stress and he told me to get counseling.  That S.O.B.
IP Logged

Did my brains fall out or is this headache over?
Jimmy_B.
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

USS Missouri BB-63 Veteran

Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 23rd, 2004, 1:57pm »

I've had a few Medical Professionals tell me that selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (S.S.R.I.'s) are the equivalent of Pharmacologic Brain Surgery.  

I would stay away from them.  

Jimmy
IP Logged

"I'd much rather be HAPPY then RIGHT any day" Slartibartfast

Get informed! Don't vote a party ticket. Go to www.vote-smart.org and find out where your political candidates stand.

Melissa

Email

« Reply #15 on: Dec 23rd, 2004, 4:25pm »

Ya know, I can't help it but think that because our brains are fucked up the way it is, where we are suseptible to addictions, that if there is a drug that can cause dependency, we're probably GOING to become dependent. Undecided

I really dunno, but I have struggled (actually it's easier to be OFF them than ON them) to stay completely off prescription drugs that affect my emotions for quite some time now.  I definately hope to keep it that way.

Good luck to you Michael!
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #16 on: Dec 23rd, 2004, 11:18pm »

on Dec 23rd, 2004, 4:25pm, Melissa wrote:
Ya know, I can't help it but think that because our brains are fucked up the way it is, where we are suseptible to addictions, that if there is a drug that can cause dependency, we're probably GOING to become dependent. Undecided

Story of my life Mel, that's why I definitely stay away now.   Wink

Kevin M
IP Logged
JDH
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

We will get by, We will survive!

simnjue2u
Email

« Reply #17 on: Dec 23rd, 2004, 11:49pm »

There's always the natural way to deal with stress   Cool

Jim
IP Logged

9-11-01, to remember is to honor.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

ECH established 1985
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #18 on: Dec 24th, 2004, 1:28am »

Damn, I bet that's stinky   Grin

Unsolved
IP Logged
Sophie
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #19 on: Dec 24th, 2004, 2:33am »

Kevin-m----
Nice little Christmas tree---you should put it on your cards.
As far as stress goes, I've been on 5 mgs of valium as needed ----forever---even before CH started. Never could adjust to antidepressants----when I was on Topamax, I saw it is used for bi-polar--thought maybe I could solve 2 problems. I'm not bi-polar, but do deal with depression and mood swings----anyway couldn't deal with the Topamax any better than antidepressants.
I tend to buy into what Melissa says "our brains are fucked up."  But we are okay.    Sophie Wink
IP Logged

WHERE ARE WE GOING?
AND WHY AM I IN THIS HANDBASKET?

Cluster Buster
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #20 on: Dec 24th, 2004, 8:32am »

on Dec 24th, 2004, 2:33am, Sophie wrote:
Kevin-m----
Nice little Christmas tree---you should put it on your cards.

I tend to buy into what Melissa says "our brains are fucked up."

Sophie,

I'm the one with the fucked up brain, not the tree, but was that way loooong before CH.    Wink

Kevin M

IP Logged
toolong
New Board Veteran
USA 

Looking for an answer

WWW Email

« Reply #21 on: Dec 24th, 2004, 8:55am »

A valium once in a while at work seems to help and a Xanax at bed time with my meletonin seems to keep me from waking up with the deamon.As for the bud..it takes me over the top if I'm having any shawdows.And I've tried every anti-depressant with no luck.One thing I've learned here is there is no real cure just the strength to live on and pray for a PF day. GrinDavid
IP Logged

Hey,watch this!I saw it on a cartoon and I think it might work!
Bethany1
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Always do whatever's next.

« Reply #22 on: Dec 24th, 2004, 9:35am »

I have tried taking xanax---maybe its just me, but it brought me right back into a cycle. Im so scared to take ANYTHING. Its supposed to be for anxiety but it had the complete reverse affect on me. I have taken Nortriptoline (sp) too and that I had NO reaction whatsoever. I agree w/most of the people to try and reduce stress/anxiety by exercise, yoga (the ol natural way) only because relying so much on all the drugs we take can really take a toll on your body.  
Unsolved-good to see ya back. Wishing ya pfdan's

Beth
IP Logged

I am sofa king we todd did.

crack is wack
Sophie
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #23 on: Dec 24th, 2004, 3:29pm »

WinkSounds like we all tend to have stress and depression to some degree----and antidepressants haven't been much help. To me that shows a common link to CH folks.
Catch 22 for sure-----I had the stress way before the CH.
Natural is best if you can do it------sometimes you just need a little help from your friends. Valuim, buds, whatever works.  
I never did like water or excersize-------Sophie Smiley Cool
IP Logged

WHERE ARE WE GOING?
AND WHY AM I IN THIS HANDBASKET?

Cluster Buster
jillybean
New Board Newbie
USA 

supporters unite!

« Reply #24 on: Dec 25th, 2004, 11:52pm »

It is very stressful dealing with all the garbage that comes with the ch territory.

If it helps you, no harm. Sometimes diet and exercise aren't enough. If it doesn't... why bother.

Clonaphen is milder and less addictive than Xanax and Valium. Especially if you take it "on demand" vs daily.  

Not a dr, of course. But I have lots of experience with both anxiety and major depression disorder.

Jill
IP Logged

Sorry we have to meet like this......
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« No topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss