Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 6:14am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Research - Ritalin & Clusters »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   Research - Ritalin & Clusters
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Research - Ritalin & Clusters  (Read 3071 times)
floridian

Email

Research - Ritalin & Clusters
« on: Dec 23rd, 2004, 1:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Ritalin can abort and prevent, according to this study, though this was only one person's experience.  Anyone else taken ritalin while having clusters?

Quote:
Headache. 1998 Oct;38(9):710-2.  

Cluster headache management with methylphenidate (Ritalin).

Mellick GA, Mellick LB.

The authors report rapid cluster headache relief in a 43-year-old man with a 5-year history of refractory cluster headache. The patient described complete headache relief within 10 minutes of taking 10 mg of methylphenidate (Ritalin) when used to abort the onset of his headaches. Subsequently, a scheduled Ritalin dose taken each morning was sufficient to prevent his nightly headaches. In addition, 1 week of prophylactic methylphenidate therapy halted the series of cluster headaches. This is the first reported case of relief of cluster headaches with methylphenidate.
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: Research - Ritalin & Clusters
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23rd, 2004, 2:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I take ritalin for ADD. I have not taken it for CH, and I actually think it makes me a little worse. Because I am chronic and get many relatively low kip hits, I find a noticeable difference when my BP gets higher. Ritalin spikes my BP a bit. I can't say it's a trigger...it just makes my body feels kinda off, a little more beat and makes the intensity of hits slightly more intense. It keeps my mind sharp as a tack, but I don't take it like I should.  My life is often a pathetic, chaotic swirl of events.   looser  (at least I'm cute)
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Research - Ritalin & Clusters
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23rd, 2004, 7:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Awhile back there was quite a stir on this website from people reporting success using ritalin.  Have to check the archives for details.  Overall, ritalin has no effect on my CH as a preventative.  I'm surprised that the patient you mentioned experienced relief in 10 minutes.  I can't imagine using it as a preferred abortive since it takes about 45 minutes for me to feel the effects of an oral dose (never tried snorting).  I don't think ritalin made my CH worse... if anything it may have helped a wee wee bit with morning shadows, but nothing more.

--- Steve
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss