Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 11:23am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « How often »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   How often
« Previous topic | No topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: How often  (Read 650 times)
becky8

Email

How often
« on: Dec 29th, 2004, 5:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

How often can I do trex shots (1/2 the stat dose) just 3mg? Safe wise I mean?
IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

Re: How often
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29th, 2004, 6:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

that'll depend on the condition of your heart.
Is there a history of heart problems in your family?
I think the "RECOMMENDATION" is 2 shots, or 12mg a day.  So if you're doing half doses, you could do 4.
My guess is that it would lose it's effectiveness if you did it 4 times a day though.
Anybody else?
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 29th, 2004, 8:40pm »

Vig is right.  The maximum recommended dose is 12mg/day.  So sorry you're still suffering, Wendy.

Many hugs,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 29th, 2004, 8:42pm »

I eat em up! Im an "Imitrex for breakfast" kinna guy. Not that i'm recommending it ... but i've done as much as 36mg in a day. ( 9 attacks, 9 shots @ 4mg apeice) I ended up going into the hospital because I was scared of using too much. BP was ok and heart was kickin just fine. I often wonder: Just how much can I really take in one day?

Be careful

PF Wishes,
Unsolved

PS. Imitrex has never lost it's effectiveness for me. Still works everytime!
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2004, 8:43pm by unsolved1 » IP Logged
Chillrmn1

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 30th, 2004, 8:10am »

Again, a little off topic but this relates to Imitrex, tabs, inhalers, & injections. I also have to point out that the manner in which I did this was not recommended or advised by pharmaceutical reps or Drs. Injections work the best for me and within 5-6 minutes the headache is completely aborted. Unfornunatley, when at the peak of my cycle, I'll get up to 8 or more per day hitting in the KIP 8 - 10 range. At these levels, the injections flow as needed withou regard for the 12 mg max, would take as needed and as much as necessary to alleviate pain. Not wise, but my decision to be made and to worry about the longer term consequences at a later date.  

In an attempt to lower the daily amount of injections, experimented with taking 50 mg tabs at six hour intervals to serve as a preventive measure, but also knowing this med is mainly for abort purposes. This seemed to work in the beginning, but headaches would return with more intensity and same frequency. Possibly rebound headaches as the med wore off. When I would inject while on the pills, the injections would now take 15 - 20 minutes before relief/abort and the inhalers provided absolutely no relief.  

This experiment was a complete failure for me and would not try this routine again. Everybody's body is diffferent and this is certainly not to be construed as recommendation for anybody. Let alone, my body let me
know it didn't like this much Imitrex introduced.

Sometimes, myself anyway, the obsession to alleviate the hellish pain brought on by the beast, clouds my rational, know better instincts.

I wanted to just share this in order to help others in case they might think of pursuing this crazy tactic themselves. IT DID NOT WORK FOR ME!

Regards,

Bob

« Last Edit: Dec 30th, 2004, 8:14am by Chillrmn1 » IP Logged
toolong
New Board Veteran
USA 

Looking for an answer

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 30th, 2004, 9:55am »

When I could take the stat dose of Trex,my recommened dose was no more than 2 injections in 24 hours,and if two are needed they must be an hour apart.Different drs. prescribe as they see fit.I have exceeded my limit with no side effects,except it left me short for my monthly allotment of 8 from my insurance company.Good luck! KissDavid
IP Logged

Hey,watch this!I saw it on a cartoon and I think it might work!
don

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 30th, 2004, 9:03pm »

Quote:
Imitrex has never lost it's effectiveness for me. Still works everytime

Same here. When I am in pain I dont keep track. I get a hit..... I hit back.
IP Logged
JBC
New Board Newbie
USA 

Am I out of Imitrex again?!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 1st, 2005, 10:08pm »

The most I ever injected in one day was 6 full injections and one nasal spray.  That was the worst day of my life becuase of the number of attacks, not because of the effects.  I had absolutely no adverse reactions to the 7 doses, but my sister (a neurologist) told me it was very stupid.
IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 1st, 2005, 11:22pm »

nuts, becky8's gone 'guest' on us... Cry
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #9 on: Jan 1st, 2005, 11:29pm »

No worries, paul...she's okay. I think she probably did that to try and wean herself from message board addiction. She'll still be lurking, but needs to get on with life-y type things. I know what she means...but I can't leave. I'm gonna miss her here, but I'll be staying in touch with her.
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2005, 11:30pm by nani » IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | No topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss