Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 11:52pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Does Zomig work for anyone? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Does Zomig work for anyone?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Does Zomig work for anyone?  (Read 894 times)
calebgg
New Board Newbie
Hong_Kong 

Searching for the true cluster buster

Email

Does Zomig work for anyone?
« on: Jan 5th, 2005, 8:00am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

One of my doctor's prescribed Zomig to me. She said they should work, if I take the pill at the first sign of pain. She said it takes about half an hour to kick in... seems to me, by then it's too late. Anyone have any advice on "Zomig"? -Calebgg
IP Logged

Searcing for the true cluster buster
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

Re: Does Zomig work for anyone?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 5th, 2005, 9:26am »

HI,

I use the Zomig Nasal Spray.  IT works pretty well for me just about as much as Trex ever did.  You may ask to try it in that form.

Good Luck, Good Vibes

MYNM156
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #2 on: Jan 5th, 2005, 10:17am »

I take the 5mg pills, love them, they work about 90% of the time.
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
JoeS
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Junior
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 5th, 2005, 11:37am »

For my current cycle, Zomig has been a godsend.    The nasal spray works in about 5-10 minutes, regardless of whether I catch the headache early or not.    Only problem with spray is that my insurance covers only 6 per month.

I can get more of the tablets, but they take about 15-20 minutes to take effect.    Since my headaches can sometimes last two hours, this is obviously much better.   Plus, the knowledge that it's just a matter of time, definitely helps me from getting too despaired through the pain.

If you can, try to get the "orally disintegrating tablets" because they seem to work faster.   Or, I guess you can chew up one of the regular tablets (yuck).

PFDANs,  
Joe
IP Logged

Your mileage may vary. See your doctor for details. Offer void in Tennessee. Past performance is not indicative of future results. No warranty is expressed or implied. Do not taunt happy fun ball.
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 5th, 2005, 2:01pm »

Yep.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
calebgg
New Board Newbie
Hong_Kong 

Searching for the true cluster buster

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 6th, 2005, 3:46am »

THanks for the tips. I will ask my doctor about the nasal spray and the chewables... is the spray cheaper than the imitrex injections? I hate my insurance company. I tried ZoMig today, with a shadow... it either worked or my cycle is just coming down... got up at 3am here in HOng KOng, and now it's almost 5pm... still headache free. (I usually get them during the day, at work... it's nuts). Thanks for all your advice and support.
--calebgg
IP Logged

Searcing for the true cluster buster
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #6 on: Jan 6th, 2005, 8:40pm »

I used Zomig NS - worked great and is a lot cheaper than trex.  I've seen statements from different people that they remained pf for 10 to 24 hours after taking Zomig.  I could get hit an hour and a half later on a bad day.  Everyone is different.

As far as your insurance goes, have your Neuro write a letter of medical necessity explaining that due to your condition, you require X number of abortives per month.  It worked for my insurance company, Community Care HMO, until I lost that job.  I had to go on my wife's insurance company, Aetna, in June 2004.  They don't pay for Zomig without an act of God and a congressional order so I had to go to trex injects.  Trex rocks, but I am still fighting with them to get more than 10 vials of trex a month.  You win some, you lose some.  Ba$tards.

Good Luck.

Gator
IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 6th, 2005, 9:58pm »

I successfully used the nasal sprays and while it took 15 - 20 minutes to kick in, it kept me pain free from 12 - 24 hours... much better than the two hours from Imitrex.
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 6th, 2005, 10:06pm »

I took Zomig Zmt at the beginning of this cycle and it worked awesome the first time then fairly well then not at all. Just left me feeling fuzzy without pain relief.

The trex shots work super damn fast for me yet the feeling after bites! Still better than the demon in our skulls.

IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Grandma_Sweet_Boy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

What Goes Around Comes Around!

« Reply #9 on: Jan 6th, 2005, 10:07pm »

I was given Zomig Rapimelt in my last cycle nearly a year ago - first time to try them and I was impressed with how quickly they worked compared to anything else I'd tried.

Just put one under your tongue and it melts in seconds.

I'll let ya know again in another month or so if history repeats itself and the demon returns!  I'm the glass half full kind - so I'm believing this next cycle will not happen!

Carol
IP Logged
NC2FLDiver
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Feb 1st, 2005, 12:23pm »

YES! for me it works way better then trex. I get 12 plus hours of relief. With trex I get less then 6. I did find years ago that you really need to get the 10mg if you are using the tabs. I'm very lucky to have a GREAT doctor. He wrote me MND for 60 pills every 30 days and the insurance paid for it.

PF wishes to all,
Jay
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #11 on: Feb 1st, 2005, 1:33pm »

I have used the nasal spray. Didn't help at all... I just got side effects! Sad
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

godsjoy777
New Board Veteran
USA 

HIS name is above clusters

godsjoy777  
Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 5th, 2005, 12:22am »

Am I dumb or is Zomig the same thing as Maxalt??????
 I take Maxalt along with the oxygen.....must always have the O2.....Thank God for the O2....and Maxalt seems to work for several hours after....It used to be up to almost 24 hours.....then at least 12 hours.....Now it isn't nearly as long....bummer.....
IP Logged
dagger
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #13 on: Feb 5th, 2005, 7:54am »

My doctor said that Zomig, Maxalt, and Imitrex are very similar drugs (all members of the triptan family) but with slightly different chemical configurations.  He gave me some Maxalt samples (oral) to try and the headaches stayed away a few more hours than with the Imitrex spray I was using.  I am out of my cycle now, thankfully.  Hope you will soon be, as well.  dagger
IP Logged
Night_Zombie
New Board Junior
Ireland 

If u obey all the rules, u miss all the fun......

Email

« Reply #14 on: Feb 5th, 2005, 8:48am »

Did help a bit but made me me hurl
IP Logged

love and hugs xxx
markg111
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #15 on: Feb 11th, 2005, 12:01am »

I find that it works best for me as soon as I begin getting any tightening in my neck, throat or shoulder, before the actual CH gets to my eye
IP Logged
Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's always darkest before the dawn.

tara_ann_77  
WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Feb 14th, 2005, 2:10am »

I tried the Zomig Nasal Spray.  Didn't work for me.....just another drug that slowly dripped it's nasty taste to the back of my tongue.

Hope it does more for you!
IP Logged

http://www.myspace.com/taraann77
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss