Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 2:55am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « prednisone »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   prednisone
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: prednisone  (Read 821 times)
alann
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

prednisone
« on: Jan 8th, 2005, 7:52am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I came off my second course of Prednisone/Verapamil last week and I'm getting killed; 2 ha /day last few days and 3 so far today. I want to jump back on the Prednisone (my neuro unreachable). Anyone have any input on taking Prednisoen on a constant or back-t-back basis like this. I had thought that one or two coureses a year was OK but more might be dangerous but I'm feeling desperate. My diasge is 60mg (plus 240mg Verap) for 1 week then taper down. I came off my last course 1 week ago. Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!
Alan
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2005, 12:32pm by alann » IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

Re: prednisone
« Reply #1 on: Jan 8th, 2005, 8:05am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Prednisone has always been a great drug to me. It's also been one of the worst drugs i've taken. Side effects can and do happen.

Personally, I use it whenever I'm getting hammered by headaches and need a break. Maybe that's why I weigh 50lbs more this year than last  laugh

Better ask your neuro

Maybe try a Medrol Dose Pak  ??

Goodluck,
Unsolved
IP Logged
Netherlands 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Jan 8th, 2005, 8:09am »

Alaan,
The two meds serve different pruposes.
The Pred. is normaly used to break a cycle while the verap is used as a prevent that should be continued until the cycle is over.
The verapamil dosage you are taking seems a bit low but there are Blood pressure issues that need to be discussed with your doc. Most people will find relief at 480 per day but some much higher.
Before going back on a course of pred discuss the verap dosage with your doc. again they are normally used together but for different purposes.
If I was in your shoes I would go with oxygen rather than the pred taper to help with the hits and figure out the correct verap dosage as a prevent.
The advantage to the oxygen and verap is that they are not harmful to your overall health.
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 8th, 2005, 11:20am »

Long term pred use is awful. The side effects are hard to live with and the coming off it is close to being unbearable. If you have trouble coming off after a shorter taper dose then imagine magnifying it. It has or can have some pretty severe long term effects on your health too. I can so sympathise with how you are feeling at the moment but please try something else first.
As Karma also suggested and I can only agree have you tried O2? I know you won't get a prescription and all the gear at the weekend but try taking a trip to your local fire station when getting hit (if that is feasible) and using O2 there. They won't turn you away but they may ask more about it afterwards. O2 is quite simply fantastic. I was a bit sceptical about it before I tried it.. I didn't think anything so simple could possibly help but I'm delighted to admit how wrong I was! Imigran/ Imitrex injections are extremely fast working and effective as well but obviously, that is a medication not suitable for everyone so you need to discuss that with your neuro. Have a read of all the info on meds and print stuff off to take to your doctor to discuss further with him.
I wish you luck with getting the best treatment for you soon  Smiley
Let us know how you get on
Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

don

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 8th, 2005, 12:08pm »

Up the verapamil.
IP Logged
Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's always darkest before the dawn.

tara_ann_77  
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 8th, 2005, 1:40pm »

are you chronic or episodic?  Lotsa chronics take Verap with Lithium (me being one)  Also like a few said about upping the verap works for some.  

I'm currently on Pred for other reasons.  It's given me a nice CH break though but now I'm tapering down (atleast till I talk to the doc on monday, dunno if I'm gonna have to be on it longer)  Pred can be a very dangerous drug long term or too much.  I'm fearing the taper down will also bring the beast back full time to me.

What are your abortives?
IP Logged

http://www.myspace.com/taraann77
alann
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Jan 8th, 2005, 2:19pm »

I take Immitrex, but I got hit 3 times in the past 16 hours (I took 3 trex) and I'm worried that I got more coming today. Nothing but Immitrex works for me(over the past 20 years I think I've tried everything). The pred/verap has always stopped the cluster within 2 days but I've never done 3 courses in a row. Don't know what else to do, I started the verap again today at 480 mg but after being off for 5 days I may need to wait a week fo it to kick in if it does at all. Its the prednisone that I think stops my clusters.
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 8th, 2005, 2:45pm »

Quote:
I started the verap again today at 480 mg but after being off for 5 days I may need to wait a week fo it to kick in if it does at all.

I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly or just misunderstanding you......

Does your doctor have you going on and off verapamil that often?

Or are you on it then increase it if you are not getting relief? b/c you should not be going on and off rapidly.
THE SAME GOES FOR PREDNISONE!

Please tell me I misunderstood.

Eric
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 8th, 2005, 2:48pm »

I think I read you correctly.......

The doc has you on Verap. and Prednidone and both are being tapered down as per your first post.

You should be on a taper of pred. while the Verap. is increasing.  
The prednisone is used as an agent to give some relief while verapamil is increased to a theraputic level.

My first doc did the same exact thing to me (if I did in fact read you correctly) what a mess.

Good luck!

e.
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Netherlands 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #9 on: Jan 8th, 2005, 6:48pm »

If you haven't tried the shrooms then you haven't tried everything.  
Give it serious consideration. There are a couple good threads about it here.
But until then look for oxygen and read about how to use it correctly. Most people that have said it doesn't work don't use it right or can't get to it fast enough..
IP Logged
alann
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Jan 8th, 2005, 8:19pm »

Re: Verap, I went back on today without consulting doctor. I can't see one till Tuesday. I didnt know you had to taper up (or down) on Verap. I felt that as I was on it for 3 weeks I could go right back after nothing for 5 days. Pretty stupid, I'm just desperate and thought if I'm not taking prednisone I gotta do something. I'm putting off the Prednisone till I see doc but I did get oxygen and a Demerol shot today. 4 ha in one day - new record for me. Sure do feel sorry for you chronic guys
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 8th, 2005, 8:27pm »

how did you get on with the O2 Alan?
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Chillrmn1

Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 9th, 2005, 9:13am »

Alann,
I was on Pred (60 mg/day) & Verapamil SR (360 mg/day) and the same happened to me after the second course of Pred. The Verap was not tapered, kept on it as a prevent. Note I'm episodic. Neuro put me on third course of Pred and changed me from Verap to Inderal and added Lithium (450 mg/day). Had me on the Pred for 30 days. Clusters still busted thru at times but not so frequent and intense. Verap doesn't seem to work for me as a prevent. My cycle finally ended about a day after the Pred taper. This is also the first time I used O2 in 27 years of clusters. LeLimey's right, be sure to use it correctly and FAST.  Had initial problems with flow rate (8 L/M) and delivery (nose tubes). Did not work that way. Gave it another try with larger regulator (15 L/M) and non-rebreather mask. This time it worked. O2 is a great abortive for me most times, and keeps the harder meds out of your system.  

I also have a hard time coming off the Pred like LeLimey mentioned. Like withdrawals - sweating, cold chills, inability to sleep for 2 days, etc. I haven't read where many others experience this. Did you?

Edit Note - None of my Neuros ever tapered me up or down on the Verap. I don't believe that's necessary. Other's input?

Hoping You Feel Better,

Bob
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2005, 9:38am by Chillrmn1 » IP Logged
JoeS
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Junior
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 9th, 2005, 11:46am »

Quote:
None of my Neuros ever tapered me up or down on the Verap. I don't believe that's necessary. Other's input?

My verapamil script is to take 240mg/day for a week, then go up to 480mg/day.  I don't know why not just start at 480mg?  Maybe starting that strong would exacerbate some of the side effects (e.g. dizziness).   I went ahead and bumped it up to 480mg after a couple of days at 240mg, and didn't experience any adverse side effects to speak of.   (OK, maybe some constipation, but lets not speak of that!).  

I think the verapamil has definitely complemented the prednisone for me.  I'm on my last day of prednisone (tapered from 60mg->40mg->20mg for three days each), and have only been hit badly once in the past week, except for some heavy shadows at about 10pm.

Joe
IP Logged

Your mileage may vary. See your doctor for details. Offer void in Tennessee. Past performance is not indicative of future results. No warranty is expressed or implied. Do not taunt happy fun ball.
Chillrmn1

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 9th, 2005, 12:30pm »

Joe S,

That makes sense to me on the reason to taper up on Verap, for I remember feeling a little dizzy first time. I'll also have to check the dosage with my Neuro next time in cycle. I may have never been on a high enough dosage for it to have been effective for me.  

Thanks,

Bob
IP Logged
alann
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #15 on: Jan 9th, 2005, 7:39pm »

Thanks for your feedback. God its nice to know there are going thru this. I got oxygen yesterday but used Trex for my only hit last night. So far nothing today but aura and a " regular" headache and sick to my stomach. thx for the notes on verap and oxygen. hope tonight is pain free for all of you!
Alan
IP Logged
Netherlands 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #16 on: Jan 10th, 2005, 5:57am »

Alaan,
Great news on O2 success. If you can try it first before the trex next time. You can always use it if the O2 fails but limiting the trex use may decrease the numbers of hits your getting.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss