Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 1:17pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Topamax »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Topamax
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Topamax  (Read 492 times)
ericblue
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Topamax
« on: Jan 13th, 2005, 9:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My doctor has prescribed Topamax today, starting a new round of c/h's. Has anyone used this medication?
What about side effects?
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

Re: Topamax
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13th, 2005, 9:36pm »

I tried up to 600mg.  Most try up to 200mg.  It makes you real dumb and stupid and you forget things.  You have to tapper at 25  mg at a time and go up and down real slow.  Good luck!
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 13th, 2005, 9:42pm »

Hi Eric Nice to meetcha,

I'm going to give Topamax a try tomorrow....

Still taking verapamil but doc wants to give it a shot as well....

goo luk and remember that we are all different so that what works for some does not work for all.

unfortunate but true.

BEst of luck!!!!!!

Eric
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Jan 13th, 2005, 10:52pm »

Heya Eric.

My Topa dose is 100mg before I go to bed.  

Be careful with mega-doses.  Topa has a therapeutic window that when exceeded either renders it worthless or can trigger.

For a good clear write up on the side effects hit www.crazymeds.org and scan down the left side for Topa.  A few select (and factual) sides:

Sodas and other carbonated beverages will utterly taste like ass, so you may as well give them up now if you're considering Topamax.  <<<--- True True True True.  Beer is in this category, so enjoy your last bottle this moment.

If you don't have a temporal lobe dysfunction or problems with other parts of your brain that Topamax hits, or you're at the wrong dosage, it will make you dumber than a box of rocks.   <<<--- I have found that I cannot do basic math when on a full 100mg of Topa... that part of my brain goes on hiatus.  Other than that I do note a bit of overall mental slowing.

Is it worth it?  To me... yep.  It is like magic for my skull.  That said, my longest duration on it was about 45 days... and that included many half-dose days.

Others here who have fewer IQ points to spare tend to suffer miserably.    Grin Grin  

Hope you have high results + low side effects.

IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 13th, 2005, 11:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

About 1 in 50 adults taking Topamax have developed kidney stones. They are more common in men and in those who have had them before. They also may be more likely to occur if Diamox (acetazolamide) or Zonegran (zonisamide) is also taken or if the ketogenic diet (a special diet sometimes used to control seizures in children) is followed. Topamax therefore should be used cautiously in people taking Diamox or Zonegran or using the ketogenic diet.  
To help prevent kidney stones, drink plenty of water, juice, or other fluids (8 glasses every day for adults). Sharp pains in your side or lower back may signal the onset of a kidney stone. Consult a doctor immediately or go to the emergency room.

PS> I was one of the lucky ones ... I got stones twice, the first time requiring surgery

Unsolved
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2005, 11:32pm by unsolved1 » IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #5 on: Jan 14th, 2005, 10:15am »

I agree with Karla. I tried topamax for a while last spring and it made me zombie! I forgot lots and felt like an idiot 24/7. I also got a regular HA which went on and on and on on the same spot CH usually is located.
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 14th, 2005, 6:28pm »

Hiya Eric,

I started Topa?? (just kidding) today.
I do not know how long it typically takes for this med to kick in but so far so good.

I am the person who always gets the 1 in 5 million side effect so I'm counting on that as well as being very sensitive to medicines. When certain meds are supposed to take a week or so to produce an effect...I seem to metabolize them quicker....

Point being....today was actually my first relatively mild day in quite sometime.

Whether that be from the TopaI forgot already or a combination who knows but we shall see and I figured that I would let you know.....

I did feel a bit absent minded which is very rare for me and a bit zoned out a couple of times but nothing more.

Good luck!

Eric

Oh yeah.....How was it perscribed to take? 2x a day am pm? Just curious...
IP Logged

Space in-between them
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 21st, 2005, 5:54pm »

One whole Freaking week and I could not tolerate it!!

I literally sat with my clients/students and could not run procedures that I developed!
I was having brain farts like you could believe and I need my wits!!!

I'm off this crap! Called the doc!

Wishing you luck!

Let us know!

Eric

edited to add everything does taste like ASS!!
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2005, 5:55pm by E-Double » IP Logged

Space in-between them
Renee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

May we all find some pf time!  Is it summer yet?

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 21st, 2005, 6:03pm »

I did the dopeymax routine as well.  Forgot to blink, respond, etc. etc....forgot about most everything and anything.  Some have good success with it.

I then switched over to Zonegran and had basically no side effects after the initial week of drowsiness.  It worked real well for me...my best rx prevent to date and that says something in itself.

good luck  Wink
IP Logged

23 years of battling the beast, 9 years chronic......uneducated docs/nurses make me irate.
The fungus among us is for real!

Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #9 on: Jan 22nd, 2005, 5:05am »

Yeah, good ole Dope-a-Max.  Made my headaches worse, started having vivid terrible nightmares, deducted 50 IQ points which I am still waiting to come back and my wife had to take my car keys as I was a danger to everyone around me while driving.

I'll pass, thank you.

Hey it does work for some people.  Good luck.

Gator
IP Logged
docdog
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 23rd, 2005, 3:53am »

Hey Eric
I've had good results with Topamax so far. Went from 3-4 skull busters every day to some shadow pain and an occasional 3-5 kipper. I was about 6 weeks into full blown cycle. Was taking Trex injections and O2. Now, completely off other meds.

Everyone is right about the side effects. My neuro started me at 25mg 1x/day and increased the dosage gradually 25 mg/day. I was up to 50 mg 2x/day (am & pm) and was having a barage of side effects including vivid dreams, difficulty sleeping, confusion, difficulty concentrating, sinisitus/facial pressure, nasal congestion, tingling  in the extremities, and depression. (but who doesn't have that when they're in a cycle). Relief began when I got to 75 mg/day. We have sinced backed down to 25 mg 2x/day, the good results are holding, and the side effects are diminishing. My neuro says that in many cases if you can hang in there, the side effects will pass in about 4 weeks. I've been on Topamax for 22 days.

Some of the other posts are correct about the water and kidney stone comments. I've been in and out of CH cycles for 14 years, and I've taken every preventative med there is. This has been a Godsend.

Obviously, not everyone is tolerant to all meds. Best of luck. I hope it works for you too.

Doc dog

« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2005, 3:58am by docdog » IP Logged
WifeofCHSuffer
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 3:32pm »

I can my husband has experienced all that you are talking about.  Dumb as a box of rocks, tingling, depression but it works.  He goes on it for awhile then off due to the depression.  Is there an antidepression med you can take while on this?

IP Logged

Wife of CH sufferer. Supporter and mother of two children.
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #12 on: Jan 25th, 2005, 8:42pm »

I've taken Nortriptyline with several anti-convulsants as prescibed by my neurologist and had no problem with interactions.  

Nortriptyline is an anti-depressant and it also alters the way the brain interprets pain.  Supposed to be a good one for anyone with severe pain.  

Talk to his doc and see what he thinks.
IP Logged
Lori
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 25th, 2005, 11:52pm »

Topomax at 100mg a day worked for me along with 360mg verapamil. I was almost totally pF with just a few breakthroughs. it did really make me stupid though. Not sure I'd want to use it again. I'd like to try other things but I think if it comes right down to it, I know it works!  
Good luck,
Lori
IP Logged

Blessings and PFDAN,
Lori

Psalm 23:4 ~ Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss