Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 7:46am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Melatonin in non-CH »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Melatonin in non-CH
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Melatonin in non-CH  (Read 368 times)
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

Melatonin in non-CH
« on: Jan 16th, 2005, 6:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

So, I visited my gynecologist last week - he's new since my last one moved away.  There really is a point to this ....

In my history I list I'm diagnosed with Episodic CH and my med list includes Melatonin.

He asked me if I have "vivid, technicolor dreams."  Apparently, Melatonin is frequently recommended for women in menopause who have insomnia, but some can't take it because of the vivid dreams it causes.

My response - "It helps me get past the REM dreaming time so I don't get night hits with the clusters."  He was fascinated, but admitted I'm his first patient with diagnosed CH.

My question - does anyone know if Melatonin reacts differently on the systems of people who don't have CH?  Just curious.  Floridian?

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

Re: Melatonin in non-CH
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16th, 2005, 6:58pm »

The wife takes it to get by my snoring Wink......
she says that she sometimes has wickedly vivid dreams while on it.

Go figure...hmmmmmmm

Groovy
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #2 on: Jan 16th, 2005, 9:31pm »

Hi Kris,
That's a great question. This doesn't really answer it ...but it speaks to the dream part of what you wrote.

I think the vivid dreams can happen if you have CH or not and like anything else it will vary from person to person.  

I always have vivid dreams(PTSD too). Melatonin made no difference in my already highly entertaining dreamlife. I thought it might make them unbearably worse and it didn't(other meds have). I was glad I could take it and happy to be sleeping a little better.  

Be well,
lionsound
IP Logged
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 17th, 2005, 12:03am »

Melatonin is known to cause vivid dreams for many people.  There is now an emerging term:  "Melatonin Dreams".  Type it into your favorite Google (or Vivisimo for me).  I have ridiculously vivid dreams without melatonin.  The other morning I woke up slapping myself in the face... acting out a dream, as there was a bumblebee hovering around my face.   Roll Eyes

--- Steve
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #4 on: Jan 17th, 2005, 9:03am »

IF you really want the "crazy, wild vivid melatonin dreams" you need to do over 20mg.
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 17th, 2005, 11:13am »

My son takes melatonin (nonCHer) and he is able to sleep and not have dreams (which is why he takes it).
*positive light and energy*
miapet
IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
floridian

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 18th, 2005, 12:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Yeah, I have talked to some non-CH people that said that melatonin gives them vivid dreams.  Since we all dream every night in REM, I think it just means that these people wake up during a dream and recall it better.  Maybe it makes us less paralyzed in REM - which is good if clusterheads are less likely to stop breathing.  

Most studies show that melatonin does not change the structure of sleep (amount of time spent in each type of sleep).  It can change the timing of the circadian rhythm, resetting the phase - that's why we take it, and maybe one reason why it is more beneficial for epsiodics than for chronics.
« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2005, 12:41pm by floridian » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss