Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 10:46pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Alcohol, Tobacco, and painkillers.  Avoid?? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Alcohol, Tobacco, and painkillers.  Avoid??
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Alcohol, Tobacco, and painkillers.  Avoid??  (Read 601 times)
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

Alcohol, Tobacco, and painkillers.  Avoid??
« on: Jan 18th, 2005, 6:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My doc told me not to use alcohol or tobacco cause it has negative effects on CH.  I also read here that pain killers, both prescription and OTC, are very bad to take.  
I stopped taking any painkillers at all and have noticed that the frequency and severity of the CHs has dropped.  Anyone else notice this?
Alcohol, tobacco and pain killers, can anyone confirm that they are all bad to take for CH sufferers?
Thanks and PF wishes to all
BMonee
IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: Alcohol, Tobacco, and painkillers.  Avoid??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18th, 2005, 7:05pm »

Alcohol is a trigger for many of us. Painkillers cause rebound headaches. People are on both sides of the cigarette opinion.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

Re: Alcohol, Tobacco, and painkillers.  Avoid
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18th, 2005, 8:04pm »

I can do without the alcohol and painkillers - yes, they can be triggers or cause rebounds.  However, I can't live without my Benson & Hedges Gold Ultralights.  So far, haven't found them to be a problem - except for future disease potential, that is!

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Chillrmn1

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 18th, 2005, 9:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

My understanding of alcohol effects on the body is that it is a blood vessel dilitator. As I try to understand the elementary mechanisms of cluster attacks, it's my understanding, precursor is vessel dilation resulting in increased blood flow and attack. I no longer dare consume alcohol in cycle or not for fear of triggering. When in cycle in the past when consuming alcohol, cluster headache attack for me was gauranteed within 5 minutes of consumption.

Vicodin (painkiller) was also prescribed due to a dental procedure while in cycle. Bad mistake for me, intense cluster ensued shortly after taking. Personally will avoid narcotic painkillers in my case.

Need my Marlboros, seem to have a soothing affect for me especially after an attack. May be wrong on this, but seem to recall nicotine has a constricting affect on blood vessels.

Just my 2 cents for what's it's worth.

Hope pain free times to all!
IP Logged
davidj35
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 26th, 2005, 1:43pm »

Alcohol, (Red Wine and Beer in paticular) is a known trigger for clusters. I know for me I will get one before I even finish the drink and no amount of O2 can cure. Down to 3 -4 smokes a day with no lessening of chs. Haven't tried painkillers so no opinion.
IP Logged
floridian

Email

Re: Alcohol, Tobacco, and painkillers.  Avoid
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26th, 2005, 3:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Alcohol - strong trigger for most episodics, some chronics.  

Aspirin - merely worthless for aborting a headache - might have a preventive effect when taken for a prolonged time (reduces blood clotting, improves vascular responses).

Tylenol, ibuprofen, etc  -  worthless for aborting, no reason to believe it might prevent, not sure about rebounds.  

Prescription painkillers - some definitely cause rebound headaches. Narcotics not usually effective for CH.  

Caffeine - good when the beast hits (vasoconstrictor) but not a magic bullet.  Taken in the afternoon or evening, it reduces melatonin production and may aggravate clusters.  

Smoking - tar, particulates and carbon monoxide reduce oxygen levels in the blood, may aggravate clusters.  Nicotine (from cigs, gum, patch) - a vasoconstrictor, may be helpful when getting hit with a headache,  not sure about long term effects on CH.  

IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #6 on: Jan 26th, 2005, 4:17pm »

Hmmm.... I don't smoke, I've become sober thanks to former preventatives but I have taken painkillers for other things than CH.

And what comes to me, the painkillers did me double good: they kept away the pain which I took them for and CH, too. Unexpected bonus. But that applied only burana 800mg I took on 3 occasions after my wisdom tooth was taken out. Otherwise, no difference whatsoever.

PFdays,
Sandie
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #7 on: Jan 26th, 2005, 4:52pm »

This last cycle has been the first one that I could drink without triggering.  But to be safe, if I were you, I would stay away from the painkillers and alcohol, but smoke all ya want, you may find it gives you what you need to beat those low level ones.
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

« Reply #8 on: Jan 27th, 2005, 6:50pm »

No Drinkin smoke em if ya gottem
IP Logged

Kill em all let God sort em out
Chuffy
New Board Junior
United_Kingdom 

« Reply #9 on: Feb 2nd, 2005, 4:07am »

I have been completely med free this cluster using just O2 and Shrooms and the only times I have been hit, albeit mildly, was after either alcohol or painkillers.

I took some painkillers (ibuprofen) for back pain the other day and got hit while at work. Luckily I made some shroom tea (drinking while giving a guitar lesson!!) and it went pretty quick.
Apart from that I have been pretty much PF for the whole ckluster, the only other hits coming either directly after alcohol or during the night after drinking.

I have come to the conclusion over the years that any sedative can trigger a CH where as stimulants, tea coffee, Red Bull, exercise etc etc are beneficial.

But the O2 and Shrooms are manna from Heaven. Wink
« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2005, 4:08am by Chuffy » IP Logged

www.site full of PF idiots.com
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

« Reply #10 on: Feb 2nd, 2005, 3:38pm »

o2 is pepto for the brain.
IP Logged

Kill em all let God sort em out
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss