Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 4:44am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Chedden's Lithium "Pulsing" »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Chedden's Lithium "Pulsing"
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Chedden's Lithium "Pulsing"  (Read 1569 times)
unsolved1

Email

Chedden's Lithium "Pulsing"
« on: Jan 19th, 2005, 7:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I did take this info to Dr. Diamond from the Diamond Headache Clinic and she said "yes, this can be an effective treatment for some".

Just thought I'd let you all know.  

She changed my Lithium dosage to only 1 pill before bedtime.

Unsolved
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: Chedden's Lithium "Pulsing"
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19th, 2005, 7:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I still don't have any answers about how to make it work for me.... Cry
Maybe I don't have CH afterall... Grin
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 19th, 2005, 7:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I wish it would work for me too  Angry

going back for another round of Histamine tonight.
Hoping for at least 6 weeks of PF time (it would be nice anyways)  Wink

Unsolved
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #3 on: Jan 19th, 2005, 7:46pm »

*crossing my fingers* for permanent PF time for you Michael...Lord knows, you deserve it.   Kiss  Sending prayers.   Kiss
IP Logged

LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 19th, 2005, 7:46pm »

Good luck  Smiley I hope it does the trick for you
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #5 on: Jan 19th, 2005, 8:06pm »

Lithium didn't work for me either - even at 1200mg.

Editted to add:  Duh, now that I went and read the thread in question I know that his method would not work for me.  When I was first put on lithium, the neuro prescribed 300mg, 30 - an hour before bedtime.  Still got the wake up calls and daily hits.  At that time lithium was the only med I was taking.  I am glad that some people are getting benefit of his method, but the dude does come off like a pompous arse suggesting that if your attacks are not precisely timed you probably have migraines.  As if his flavor of ch was the only one available.  

Good luck on the Histamine thing.  

PFDAN

Gator
« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2005, 9:44pm by Gator » IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 20th, 2005, 12:02am »

on Jan 19th, 2005, 8:06pm, Gator wrote:
I am glad that some people are getting benefit of his method, but the dude does come off like a pompous arse suggesting that if your attacks are not precisely timed you probably have migraines.  As if his flavor of ch was the only one available.

Aw, c'mon, Gator. At least he's coherent and uses a spell checker. Doesn't sound like a 100%er to me either, but at least it gives the natives something to try. Doc's love this crap. It gives them reasons to do trials and publish reports, even if the findings don't amount to squat.

Glad I don't have to do light metals,
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 20th, 2005, 10:18am »

you know....the animosity towards someone who brings us a viable treatment plan never ceases to amaze me here.

Just because Chet mentions the characteristic of clusterheads having regularily spaced attacks - he gets nailed and labelled.  It IS a common symptom.   My husband has ALWAYS been that way - you could set your watch by his attacks.  What's so wrong with that?  That factor, by the way, is what did finally lead to him getting a positive diagnosis - it IS a classic trait.  Remember, there IS circadian involvement with clusters - it only makes sense that hits are regular.  When you add meds into the system, could it be that contributes to changing the body's natural rhythm?  Why is this such a far-fetched idea?

Mike is currently taking 300 mgs of lithium at 7 p.m. and then again at 7 a.m.  Tuesday was an anomoly for him, he got three hits through the day.  (He was around a lot of construction dust and then we went out for dinner and he got some MSG which we BOTH know is a no-no for him while in cycle).  Yesterday was totally pain free again and he has not yet missed a complete night of sleep since starting the lithium last Monday (1/10/05).  We didn't change dosing pattern, although Chet was wondering if we should.

Chet has continued to be very kind to me if I've had any questions about this treatment and has immediately answered emails I've sent him.  Chet's still pain free, too, by the way - not that anyone has cared to ask him how he's doing.  Nice support.  

Gator, if we follow Chet's thinking with this plan, it could be that you were taking that one dose at the wrong time of day for YOU.  Maybe the next hit you were going to get wasn't your "Queen" attack in your 24 hour day.  I dunno - just thinking out loud.  

I'm really starting to believe that verapamil is a drug that extends cycles and therefore, logically, would counteract the benefits of low dosing/pulsing lithium.  

We're going to Mike's neuro this morning and she's pretty pissed that we've started this treatment without her "royal assent" and completely freaked that Mike hasn't had bloodwork ahead of time.  (He did do the bloodwork last time he was on lithium and all was fine).  I guess we're in for a pee-pee whacking this morning but, at this point, I could care less.  All we want is for her to renew his prescription for Imitrex but that ain't gonna happen without a face to face first  Roll Eyes.

I've printed out all of Chet's posts (minus all the shit he's taken over suggesting this treatment) and I'm going to show it to the neuro.   There IS validity to the theory and we're living proof of that.  

As Unsolved says here about Dr. Diamond's comments "yes, this can be an effective treatment for some"  - why can't we just leave it at that and rejoice that TWO clusterheads have found some pain freedom?  
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #8 on: Jan 20th, 2005, 10:40am »

Quote:
Just because Chet mentions the characteristic of clusterheads having regularily spaced attacks - he gets nailed and labelled

He didn't just mention it...he said that if we don't get hit at "regular" times, we didn't have CH.

Quote:
Why is this such a far-fetched idea?  

Why is it a far-fetched idea that we all get hit differently? And that not all treatments work for all of us?

It was not the method I took issue with...it was the delivery.
IP Logged

Netherlands 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #9 on: Jan 20th, 2005, 10:47am »

Margi,
Let it go. Its not worth it.  
Big ups on giving it a try. I hope the success continues.

Chedden, Thanks for sharing. You've helped one person and thats enough.  
I hope things are working out as well as Margi says.
There are some outside the herd that want to know.

Unsolved,
Thanks for bring it up to the clinic.
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 20th, 2005, 11:08am »

Karma, you know what?  You're absolutely right.  The herd mentality is a formidable force sometimes.  

I'd like to say thanks to Unsolved too, though - for bringing it up with Dr. Diamond.  I've printed out your post and am taking it to our neuro this morning.  

Hey Karma, it's kinda nice being outside the herd, isn't it?  The air is much easier to breathe out here.  Thanks for your words of wisdom.  

No more from me on the subject.  Seriously, NO need to respond to this post (edited to add, I'm not referring to you, Karma - I do thank you for your sanity).  I'm done.

« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2005, 11:20am by Margi » IP Logged

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 20th, 2005, 11:14am »

I'm just thankful to have things to consider for the future.....clueless here Huh
But always trying and strong!!

Hugs All!!

Eric
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Chet
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #12 on: Jan 20th, 2005, 1:41pm »

Nani, and the other jerk who didn't like my posts on the other thread:

I guess this is a case of "if you don't like the message, attack the messenger (or at least the way he/she uses language)."

Excuse me, but here is exactly what I wrote:

"If your headaches are not occurring on a regular 24-hour schedule -- every 2 hours, 4 hours, etc. there are at least two possibilities: One is that your headaches are not clusters. They might be migraines. Clusters by definition occur on a regular schedule. The other is that you may be over-medicated."

Look at the words. I said there are *at least* two possibilities. Why two? Because those are the ones I know about. I don't know anything about the other thousands of possibilities.  

One possibility I mention is that your headaches might be migraines. They may not be migraines -- but then, they might. That is only one of, presumably, thousands of possibilities.  

Another possibility is that you are over-medicated. This does not mean that you ARE over-medicated -- only that it is a possiblity.

I'm sorry that you (and apparently some other readers) don't like what you perceive my attitude to be in sharing my solution to cluster headache pain. I'm also sorry if this solution won't work for you. However, I make no apology for sharing my experiences on this forum which is designed for that specific purpose, and I make no apology for the failure of this method to work for you.
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 20th, 2005, 4:12pm »

update:  our neuro has agreed that this is a viable treatment and has instructed Mike that he's ok to continue on it without being blood tested, unless he goes past two months of use.  She tried to get him back on verapamil but he refused, with the reason that he feels it extends his cycles.  She agreed that that is definitely a possibility with Verapamil.
IP Logged

source unknown

Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 20th, 2005, 4:17pm »

Like I said before, can't comment on the treatment since I've never used lithium.  I'll give it a try next cluster though.

My vote still stands for arrogant sum-na-beetch though.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #15 on: Jan 20th, 2005, 4:18pm »

on Jan 20th, 2005, 1:41pm, chedden wrote:
The other is that you may be over-medicated."

I think this happens a hell of a lot.
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #16 on: Jan 20th, 2005, 4:19pm »

on Jan 20th, 2005, 4:17pm, Bob P wrote:

My vote still stands for arrogant sum-na-beetch though.

Then you two should get along famously.  Grin
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #17 on: Jan 20th, 2005, 4:21pm »

on Jan 20th, 2005, 4:18pm, guesst wrote:

I think this happens a hell of a lot.

no shit, Sherlock.

rats, I said I was gonna shut up, didn't I?  damnit.
IP Logged

source unknown

thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #18 on: Jan 20th, 2005, 4:24pm »

on Jan 20th, 2005, 4:21pm, Margi wrote:

no shit, Sherlock.

rats, I said I was gonna shut up, didn't I?  damnit.

Yes, Margi.  But nobody wants to hear that.  I think de-toxing from time to time is a wonderful thing to do, but what do I know, I'm only a lowly episodic.  Wink
IP Logged

Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: Jan 20th, 2005, 4:32pm »

Quote:
Then you two should get along famously.

I think I'm starting to like you!
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #20 on: Jan 20th, 2005, 4:37pm »

on Jan 20th, 2005, 4:32pm, Bob P wrote:

I think I'm starting to like you!

Well, it's about Goddamn time!  laugh
IP Logged

Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #21 on: Jan 20th, 2005, 5:25pm »

on Jan 20th, 2005, 4:24pm, guesst wrote:

Yes, Margi.  But nobody wants to hear that.  I think de-toxing from time to time is a wonderful thing to do, but what do I know, I'm only a lowly episodic.  Wink

I enjoyed my detox time period.  It wasn't all that long ago...I guess back in October around then?  I went off all meds just one morning randomly because I was angry about the steroid-induced avascular necrosis.  I stayed off every med for 2 weeks and I was up to 6 clusters a day.

I know that my clusters were coming at 5pm, 7pm, 9pm, 11pm, 2am, and 4am until I went on a very high dose of verapamil in January '04.  Ever since then, they've been random, but I've messed with doses and meds from time to time.

I'd kick all meds, but at this point...it isn't just clusters that are my issue.  I mean, I've always had the chronic daily migraine, but I also have cardiac shiznit to worry with...GI stuff...orthopedic stuff...the list never ends!  I could probably get it down to about 3-5 meds after seeing a few more doctors instead of the about 20 I'm on right now!  Neuro really does kill me...the funniest part is that half the problems I have now are from side effects of medications, but they refuse to treat these issues.  They say things like, "we don't treat stomach issues...go to a GI."  And at this point, I have no clue what med is doing what!

So off to another doc I go.  Never will I add one more pill until they start taking some away.  And if that neurostimulator works for me (fingers crossed) then the pills are going down the drain! Smiley

Carrie Smiley
IP Logged

Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's always darkest before the dawn.

tara_ann_77  
WWW Email

« Reply #22 on: Jan 20th, 2005, 11:37pm »

I think periodically detoxing from meds is a good thing.  Back 6+ months ago I was on the same dose of verapamil and Lithium after trying what seems like a million meds, and a couple hospitalizations and nothing was helping, including the lith and verap.  Lost insurance, moved, and a few weeks ago started back on the lith and verap along with a pred taper (that I've been done with almost a week).  Seems the lith and verap are working great now.  Only a few *mild* hits and some shadows.  NOTHING to complain about considering the mess I was a few weeks ago.  

I am thinking its working (((knock on wood))) this time cause I have been medfree for so long.
IP Logged

http://www.myspace.com/taraann77
Chet
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #23 on: Jan 21st, 2005, 12:29am »

This is a reply to Gator's obnoxious message in which he says he's tried 300MG 30 minutes before sleep.

First, I don't believe that. But, if true, despite his assertion to the contrary, that is not evidence that lithium pulsing would not work for him. There are other things he could have tried. For example, he could have increased the dose -- say 600MB before sleep. Or he could have tried it at different times -- say 12p.m. if his most painful or most reliable attack came at 2p.m. There are other possibilities as well. It all depends on outwitting the "beast." To do that, you need to time your doses to match your headache schedule.
IP Logged
Killroy 2.0
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kilroy 2.0 is Here! Kilroy 2.0 is Everywhere!

gmlevenhagen  
Email

« Reply #24 on: Jan 21st, 2005, 12:33am »

But you are assuming that lithium will work for everyone, and we ALL know that nothing works the same for everyone.   guesst, posing as Gena.
IP Logged

Do the walls speak to you? Do you follow the Geek Messiah? DO YOU COMPLY?!
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss