Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 9:00am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « NO2 (Nitric Oxide) »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   NO2 (Nitric Oxide)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: NO2 (Nitric Oxide)  (Read 501 times)
gar2
New Board Newbie
USA 

NO2 (Nitric Oxide)
« on: Jan 24th, 2005, 8:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am an amateur bodybuilder, and wanted to start using the supplement NO2.  This is a hemodilator.  I am currently in the middle of a cluster (about 2 months in).  Will this affect me adversly, or possible help?  Does anyone know?
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

Re: NO2 (Nitric Oxide)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 8:48pm »

Just the thought of taking anything that would dilate the vessels surrounding my trigeminal nerve makes me start to shiver, shake and dread the "coming of the beast."

Perhaps you could just do the all natural thing?  

At any rate, please be careful!

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 8:54pm »

Listen to Kris......EEEEEEKKK!!!

Go work your A$$ off but stay ay unless ya want to risk the exact opposite of what we are alltrying to prevent.

Good luck either way dude!

E.
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
floridian

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 9:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Probably not a good idea - nitroglycerin and other meds that increase nitric oxide are known to trigger clusters.  I go the opposite direction and drink green tea, which sponges up nitric oxide.
IP Logged
JoeS
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Junior
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 10:26pm »

Here is an interesting article about Nitroglycerin and Nitric Oxide:

http://www.beyonddiscovery.org/content/view.txt.asp?a=318

Note that NO2 is actually Nitrogen Dioxide, while Nitric Oxide is NO, and Nitrous Oxide (laughing gas) is N2O.   The article of course doesn't mention Cluster Headache, but is a good read if you're a friggin' geek like me.
IP Logged

Your mileage may vary. See your doctor for details. Offer void in Tennessee. Past performance is not indicative of future results. No warranty is expressed or implied. Do not taunt happy fun ball.
maureen
New Board Newbie
Scotland 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Jan 25th, 2005, 12:14pm »

Does the green tea help very much sounds like something worth trying?
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 25th, 2005, 1:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Jan 25th, 2005, 12:14pm, maureen wrote:
Does the green tea help very much sounds like something worth trying?

Dunno exactly as I am typically using several things - if I had to name the one thing I thought was most effective, it would be melatonin.  But green tea, (and oolong and pu-ehr which also have catechins), and turmeric/curcumin do affect the nitric oxide pathways - either turning down production, or minimizing the negative effects from NO formed nitrite, nitration reactions, etc.  

Quote:
J Agric Food Chem. 2004 Dec 29;52(26):8169-76.  

Effects of pu-erh tea on oxidative damage and nitric oxide scavenging.

Duh PD, Yen GC, Yen WJ, Wang BS, Chang LW.

Department of Food Science and Technology, Chia Nan University of Pharmacy and Science, 60 Erh-Jen Road, Section 1, Pao-An, Jen-te Hsiang, Tainan Hsien, Taiwan. ipdduh@mail.chna.edu.tw

The effects of pu-erh tea, which is prepared by fermentation of tea, on oxidative damage and nitric oxide scavenging, compared with various other brands of tea were investigated. The total antioxidant activity was determined using the Trolox equivalent antioxidant capacity (TEAC) assay. The results showed that TEAC values of the 200 microg/mL water extracts of pu-erh tea (WEPT), green tea, oolong tea, and black tea were 86.3, 85.3, 87.4, and 80.3 (microg/mL), respectively, indicating that WEPT showed a significant antioxidant activity. WEPT, like green tea extract, oolong tea extract, and black tea extract, exhibited a remarkable protective effect in lipid (liposome) and nonlipid (protein and deoxyribose) model systems, implying that it is an inhibitor of lipid and nonlipid oxidative damage. It also exhibited metal-binding ability, reducing power, and scavenging effect for free radicals. Moreover, WEPT showed a decreasing effect on nitric oxide production of lipopolysaccharide-induced RAW 264.7 macrophages. In addition, the results revealed that epicatechin (EC), flavonoid, ascorbic acid, and polyphenolic compounds are present in WEPT, which may partially account for the protective effect on oxidative damage. Thus, WEPT may have potential as an antioxidant and as a nitric oxide scavenging agent.

Kim MJ, Ryu GR, Kang JH, Sim SS, Min do S, Rhie DJ, Yoon SH, Hahn SJ, Jeong IK, Hong KJ, Kim MS, Jo YH.  
Inhibitory effects of epicatechin on interleukin-1beta-induced inducible nitric oxide synthase expression in RINm5F cells and rat pancreatic islets by down-regulation of NF-kappaB activation.
Biochem Pharmacol. 2004 Nov 1;68(9):1775-85.

Chen JH, Tipoe GL, Liong EC, So HS, Leung KM, Tom WM, Fung PC, Nanji AA.  
Green tea polyphenols prevent toxin-induced hepatotoxicity in mice by down-regulating inducible nitric oxide-derived prooxidants.
Am J Clin Nutr. 2004 Sep;80(3):742-51.

Biochem Pharmacol. 2004 Apr 1;67(7):1285-95.  

Interference of the polyphenol epicatechin with the biological chemistry of nitric oxide- and peroxynitrite-mediated reactions.

Wippel R, Rehn M, Gorren AC, Schmidt K, Mayer B.   Institut fur Pharmakologie and Toxikologie, Karl-Franzens Universitat Graz, Universitatsplatz 2, A-8010 Graz, Austria.

The formation of reactive nitrogen species in mammalians has both beneficial and undesirable effects. Nitric oxide (NO) production in endothelial cells leads to vascular smooth muscle relaxation, but if reactive nitrogen species are generated in high amounts by cells under inflammatory conditions they are toxic. Flavonoids like (-)-epicatechin show an inverse association of their intake with diseases thought to be associated with overproduction of reactive nitrogen species. We found that the formation of cyclic GMP in cultured porcine aortic endothelial cells was not affected by up to 1 mM (-)-epicatechin. Half maximal inhibition of interferon-gamma/lipopolysaccharide induced nitrite accumulation in murine macrophages required about 0.5 mM of the flavonoid. In contrast, nitration of free tyrosine triggered by 0.1 and 1 mM authentic peroxynitrite was inhibited by (-)-epicatechin with IC(50) values of 6.6 and 28.0 microM, respectively. The presence of 15 mM sodium bicarbonate had no significant effect. Nitration of protein-bound tyrosine in phorbol 12-myristate 13-acetate treated HL-60 cells in the presence of nitrite was inhibited by (-)-epicatechin at a similar concentration range (IC(50)=10-100 microM). Myeloperoxidase activity of phorbol 12-myristate 13-acetate stimulated HL-60 cells was inhibited by (-)-epicatechin with an IC(50) value of 77.4 microM. Epicatechin inhibited dihydrorhodamine oxidation by 50 microM authentic peroxynitrite and 1 mM 3-morpholino-sydnonimine with IC(50) values of 11.8 and 0.63 microM, respectively. Our data suggest that at up to 0.1 mM (-)-epicatechin preferentially inhibits NO-related nitration and oxidation reactions without affecting NO synthesis and cyclic GMP signaling.
« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2005, 1:16pm by floridian » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss