Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 20th, 2024, 2:57am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Well I am back »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Well I am back
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Well I am back  (Read 309 times)
davidj35
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Well I am back
« on: Jan 25th, 2005, 2:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It has been a while since I have been here, but I am back in cycle and thought this may interest someone. I have been suffering with ch for about 6-7 years and like most of you was misdiagnosed for the first 2 years. I was sure I was going to kill myself. After many hits and misses I believe I have found a course of treatment that has has been a godsend for me and may help others. Last year during my annual spring cycle I tried 02 and Imitrex pills. I was getting too many a day ( and I can't imagine giving myself a shot) to use the nasal (6 or more per day) and my script was 200 mg a day of imitrex. In 100 mg form this only took care of a small part of dealing with the bastard. I cut the pills in half taking only 50mg as a preventitve when I knew the hour was coming and I couldn't get to my 02. This along with 10-12 lpm of 02 when I could use it has given me my life back. I know Imitrex is not supposed to be used as a preventitive but as we all know when you are in full cycle you can set your clock by the chs. Just wanted to post this and see if anyone else has been taking this course of action or if anyone has any questions.  Thank You and good luck to all of us.
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

Re: Well I am back
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25th, 2005, 8:08pm »

Hi David,

Sorry you're suffering again.  Have you tried the Trex nasal spray?  No needles, but works much faster than those pills.

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 25th, 2005, 8:37pm »

Quote:
I cut the pills in half taking only 50mg as a preventitve when I knew the hour was coming and I couldn't get to my 02. This along with 10-12 lpm of 02 when I could use it has given me my life back. I know Imitrex is not supposed to be used as a preventitive but as we all know when you are in full cycle you can set your clock by the chs. Just wanted to post this and see if anyone else has been taking this course of action or if anyone has any questions.

Yes, I have done it several times.  My access to nasal and injectable imitrex is limited so sometimes it's more cost effective to cut it off with a pill before it even starts.  Main downside is when it backfires... like early this morning.  Woke up 3:25am feeling ghosts... took pill... big mistake... 5 min later CH ramped up fast.  I had to gut out a Kip 9 for 45 minutes (about the time it takes a pill to work... or a CH to end).  I'm hoping it was a renegade attack because right now I'm oxygenless.

--- Steve
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
Chillrmn1

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 25th, 2005, 8:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Have tried the same thing using 50 mg trex pills as a preventative also knowing these are meant for abort reasons. Would take these on a six hour schedule. Last time doing this experienced a full blown Kip 10 which was intolerable. Resorted to injecting 6mg Imitrex which took about 20 minutes to abort. Injections usually respond with me in 5 - 6 minutes when not taking pills.

After this episode, never again will try using trex pills for preventative purpose. This is how it affected me. I don't even bother with the pills anymore, takes to long for the reults to abort.
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 25th, 2005, 11:29pm »

The whole pill approach sucks. Did it for several cycles, thinking this was the Bee's Knees. It's not my fault. I didn't know any better at the time.  
Sometimes, pills are the only option, thank you very much insurance company. If you chew pills, then Imitrex should be the last choice on the dance card, unless you know it's the only one that works. There are lots of other triptan pills out there that take just as long to work, and they ALL have a much longer half life..........see: sleep for 6.  

Quote:
right now I'm oxygenless.

This is an indignity which none of us should have to endure. Even as we speak, EBay is alight with regulators and E tanks, some of which will be in my grubby little mitts within the fortnight. I am personally committed to the Right to Oxygen for all CHeads, on demand.

Victory or Death,
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #5 on: Jan 25th, 2005, 11:52pm »

David, welcome back.  Seems you have found what works for you, at least for now.  6 months ago I was using Zomig NS to abort but had to change insurance companies which forced me to switch to trex.  I was needlephobic at first, too.  Trust me, after you've done it one time the mystery and the fear is gone.  I used the stat dose kits at first and the trex tip from the left.  I experimented and found I can abort an attack using 3mg.  I could either get 4 stat dose kits or 10 vials a month from the insurance company.  The math was easy.  4 more shots using the vials.   So now I use the vials and 30 guage .5cc short needle syringes.  It's a heck of a lot easier measuring a dose than guesstimating using the stat dose and no reusing of needles.  I hardly feel a thing except relief coming down in like 5 - 10 minutes.  To quote a very old phrase: Try it - you'll like it.   LOL

Good luck and PF2U,

Gator
IP Logged
davidj35
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 26th, 2005, 10:38am »

Thanks for all of your input. My Doctor is clueless and hadn't even heard of chs till me, I was the one who had to tell him about O2. He is prescribing what I guess are the easiest scpripts to figure out (O2 and trex). I would love to know more about other triptan pills. I can't get enough of the nasal spray to cover a whole day and night, my Dr. will only prescribe 200mg per day per the insurance company so that is why I am using the 50mg pills. While in cycle I can get 6 to 8 a day ranging from 5 to 10 on the Kip. Also can someone please tell me about the rebreather mask, I just have a regular mask that seems to work okay but if something works better I am all for it. PF to all. Thanks
IP Logged
JoeS
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Junior
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 26th, 2005, 3:01pm »

Quote:
tell me about the rebreather mask, I just have a regular mask

Not sure what you mean by regular mask.   The kind you want is a "non-rebreather," which essentially forces you to breathe 100% oxygen.   Here's a pic:

The bag at the bottom is the key.  It should have a one-way valve over it that allows you to breathe oxygen from the bag, but doesn't allow your exhaled air to go into the bag.  The tubing comes in below the valve and fills up the bag with O2.  The flaps on the sides of the mask are also "one-way" in that they allow exhaled air out, but don't allow outside air in.

Hope this helps,
Joe
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2005, 3:03pm by JoeS » IP Logged

Your mileage may vary. See your doctor for details. Offer void in Tennessee. Past performance is not indicative of future results. No warranty is expressed or implied. Do not taunt happy fun ball.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss