Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 20th, 2024, 9:25am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Imitrex Statdose - What am I doing wrong? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Imitrex Statdose - What am I doing wrong?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Imitrex Statdose - What am I doing wrong?  (Read 404 times)
Ann9900
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

Imitrex Statdose - What am I doing wrong?
« on: Jan 27th, 2005, 5:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I attempted to use the imitrex stat-dose this morning at work.  I loaded it, held it to my stomach, hit the button and held it there - thinking "this isn't so bad".  When I was done, I noticed there was no needle sticking out.  I looked for a hole in my skin and didn't find one.  I'm holding the pen, trying to figure this out, when I end up shooting my imitrex at the bathroom wall.  I couldn't believe it.  I took a deep breath and thought, ok, I have another one.  So I started loading the second, and last, dose and had it discharge in the package.  So now I had wasted two doses and still had my headache.  I just sat on the bathroom floor crying (which of course doesn't really HELP the headache).  I realized I needed to put the pen back into the case to "reset" it and that is what went wrong with the second one.  I have no idea what happened with the first though.  I watched the video online before even trying it.  What did I do wrong?  And what can I do to keep this from happening again?  I was nervous enough making the decision to use it in the first place, then upset that I wasted so much money and didn't even get to relieve my headache.  Please help!  I really don't want to go through this again.
IP Logged
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

Re: Imitrex Statdose - What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27th, 2005, 5:26pm »

Try using it on your arm or leg, the flesh is firmer and will help the auto injector to work.  The blue end of the autoinjector must be pushed back into the grey part about 1/2 inch in order to trigger it.

Edit to add, read the directions and look at the pictures and try a few dry runs without the needle, while you are NOT getting hit, this will help.
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2005, 5:29pm by thomas » IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
Renee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

May we all find some pf time!  Is it summer yet?

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 27th, 2005, 8:02pm »

I did the same thing back when I was using trex and the stat doses.

I finally did what Guesst suggested, dry tests when not getting hit, and moved to my thigh as well for injection point.

You're not the first and won't be the last but it sure doesn't help things with the ch or the wallet.

Hang in there!  This too shall pass.  Wink
Renee
IP Logged

23 years of battling the beast, 9 years chronic......uneducated docs/nurses make me irate.
The fungus among us is for real!

Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 27th, 2005, 8:54pm »

Oh my dear - I'm suffering with you and laughing at the same time.

My last cycle (they're usually 3-5 years apart), I wasted not only 2 doses, but nearly 5!!!!   Because I simply forgot how to load the cartridge.  ($200 worth all over the bedroom floor and wall).

When loading ...  gently push the pen down onto the needle portion and gently turn and pull out.  DO NOT turn, PUSH and pull out.  I wasted 3 this way - watched them shoot across the room.

Then, as mentioned above, find a fairly firm area you have control over - I always use my thigh - make sure the opening of the pen is pressed directly and quite firmly on the skin.  Press the injector.  That should do it.

I also find that it helps to get your pen loaded at the first sign the CH is coming.  I tend to lose coordination as the pain escalates.

As they say ... try, try and try again ... as long as you can afford it!

Many hugs,

Kris

IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Ann9900
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 30th, 2005, 11:34am »

Thanks too all of you.  I went for a refill that night and asked the pharmacist to show me what I did wrong.  I was told they are supposed to have a saline version for demos.  They didn't, but I think we figured it out.  I can't imagine going through that with 5 of them!  And yes, I can laugh about it now as I picture that stream going against the bathroom wall and what my face must have looked like.

On another note, when I first had the prescription filled, they gave me 1-2 dose cartridge for an $18 co-pay.  For some reason that I don't really understand, this time they gave me 9-2 dose cartridges for the $18 co-pay.  The sticker thing said "your insurance saved you $1100".  I'm not complaining, it just seemed strange to me.  And I'm hoping my insurance doesn't come back and try to collect from me instead!

Thanks again for everything.
IP Logged
Chillrmn1

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 30th, 2005, 12:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Ann,

You're not the only one that's done that, me too, and you can see from the others. As for the insurance allowance, all of a sudden my insurance cut me back. All I had to do was have the DR fill out form for review by the insurance company and was approved. I don't think you have anything to worry about regarding paying them back.
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 30th, 2005, 1:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Be sure you are applying some pressure to the pen when you go to inject.
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 30th, 2005, 8:19pm »

$18!!!!!

You are one lucky woman, my dear- be thankful for your good prescription coverage.  My heart nearly broke a second time after I wasted those 5 doses when I went to get my new script filled.  My new insurance covers only a certain amount.  I'm not limited in number, but I pay $100 for 6 syringes.  

When I found that out, I made really good friends with the nurses in my doc's office.  Free samples galore!

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Ann9900
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 1st, 2005, 10:24pm »

After filling the original prescription, I called my insurance company to see if there were limitations.  They told me I needed to use 70% before I could get it refilled.  I asked her to tell me what 70% of 2 was!  She didn't have a clue and told me to call the pharmacy to see how they coded it.  I did and they told me they had it as 2 doses for 5 days.  So theoretically, I can get it refilled every 3-4 days.  Although now I think (I hope) I have enough to last for a while.

I had a dr. a few years ago that had me try taking imitrex (oral) every day as a preventative (even though I read it doesn't work that way).  At $13 a pill, and no insurance, it added up quickly.  I'm glad I have decent insurance now.  I don't know how people do it without insurance.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss