Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 3:39pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Has anyone tried Zyprexa???? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Has anyone tried Zyprexa????
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Has anyone tried Zyprexa????  (Read 425 times)
painkiller
New Board Newbie
USA 

just another day in paradise!!!

Has anyone tried Zyprexa????
« on: Jan 28th, 2005, 10:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It's an anti-psycotic that my neurologist just put me on and it seems to work great for the clusters but i've never been so tired in my entire life, he told me that is pretty normal since it's the first time i've taken it and that the tiredness should go away after my body gets used to it. I hope I'm not the only one thats taking this or at least someone else out there has heard of this therapy.
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: Has anyone tried Zyprexa????
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 10:23pm »

This was in a thread last week by Bob Johnson:

1: Headache 2001 Sep;41(:813-6    

Olanzapine as an Abortive Agent for Cluster Headache.  

Rozen TD.  

Department of Neurology, Jefferson Headache Center/Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.  

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate olanzapine as a cluster headache abortive agent in an open-label trial. BACKGROUND: Cluster headache is the most painful headache syndrome known. There are very few recognized abortive therapies for cluster headache and fewer for patients who have contraindications to vasoconstrictive drugs. METHODS: Olanzapine was given as an abortive agent to five patients with cluster headache in an open-label trial. The initial olanzapine dose was 5 mg, and the dose was increased to 10 mg if there was no pain relief. The dosage was decreased to 2.5 mg if the 5-mg dose was effective but caused adverse effects. To be included in the study, each patient had to treat at least two attacks with either an effective dose or the highest tolerated dose. RESULTS: Five patients completed the investigation (four men, one woman; four with chronic cluster, one with episodic cluster). Olanzapine reduced cluster pain by at least 80% in four of five patients, and two patients became headache-free after taking the drug. Olanzapine typically alleviated pain within 20 minutes after oral dosing and treatment response was consistent across multiple treated attacks. The only adverse event was sleepiness. CONCLUSIONS: Olanzapine appears to be a good abortive agent for cluster headache. It alleviates pain quickly and has a consistent response across multiple treated attacks. It appears to work in both episodic and chronic cluster headache.  
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
painkiller
New Board Newbie
USA 

just another day in paradise!!!

« Reply #2 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 11:13pm »

Thanks nani, I' lucky to have a neuro that is sympathetic to my "situation" and wants to help me through every cycle but I sometimes wonder especially when he tells me to try something new. I'm currently taking 2.5mg of zyprexa every day (3rd day) 2 hours before bed and have not even had a shadow so far but i needed to know if anyone else heard of this. Thanks again, I'm so fortunate to have you and all the other members here to help me out, between my doc and you guys i know i'll get through every cycle A-OK!!!  Thank you!
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 29th, 2005, 4:25am »

We had a report here the Dr. Rozen was trying to use it as a preventive but without much success. That you seem to be having such success with the bedtme dosing is the first such report I've seen.  

I first posted the abstract about using it an an abortive over a year ago. The 5mg dose has given me 100% relief from an attack and consistently within 20-min.

The frustration of meds for cluster is that no med works 100% of us and some helpful meds may stop working for ??? reasons. Don't be surprised/discouraged if this happens to you: Just keep trying something new. It's just nice to read of your current success.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #4 on: Jan 29th, 2005, 5:05am »

I'm glad you're found a med which helps you with CH.

Bob is right, though... Meds can stop working for some reason. That has happened to me.  

I hope yours keep on working! You deserve to PF.  Smiley
BTW, my painkiller makes me fall asleep like a zombie 4 hours after I've taken it...

PFdays,
Sandie
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's always darkest before the dawn.

tara_ann_77  
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 29th, 2005, 10:41pm »

I've tried it....was a before bedtime pill.  Made me tired but didn't stop the CH's or keep me asleep or anything.

Glad to hear it's working for you.  I really hope it continues
IP Logged

http://www.myspace.com/taraann77
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 31st, 2005, 12:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Zyprexa did not help me at all   Sad

Unsolved
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss