Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 3:04am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « CPAP Machines? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   CPAP Machines?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: CPAP Machines?  (Read 466 times)
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

CPAP Machines?
« on: Feb 2nd, 2005, 12:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Anyone out there using a CPAP machine for sleep apnea?

Does it make a difference for your clusters?
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Email

Re: CPAP Machines?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 2nd, 2005, 3:10pm »

I asked about a CPAP and was told that it didn't give a high enough flow of o2.
*positive light and energy*
miapet
IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 2nd, 2005, 3:25pm »

thanks, Mia - yes, I'm thinking it's not going to do a ch sufferer much good either.  But the question was asked of me, so I passed it on.

IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #3 on: Feb 2nd, 2005, 3:28pm »

I've seen people on this website say that it helped with the night time attacks, but did nothing for daytime hits.  I've also seen people here say it didn't help at all.  If sleep apnea is an issue, it couldn't hurt to try the CPAP.  The worst that could happen is it wouldn't work.  I've seen testimonials, that had nothing to do with headache, say that the CPAP helped them sleep better and feel more rested and resulted in more energy and mental sharpness the next day.  

IP Logged
BikerBob
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Feb 2nd, 2005, 3:28pm »

I used a CPAP for sleep apnea several years ago. It got a lot more air into me throughout the night. I stopped using it after a couple weeks because it was uncomfortable.

I wasn't in cycle so I don't know its effect on CH.

However, I was told that you can get equipment to attach O2 to the CPAP and vary the O2 content from 28% to 100%.

Bob
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #5 on: Feb 2nd, 2005, 3:35pm »

on Feb 2nd, 2005, 3:28pm, BikerBob wrote:
I stopped using it after a couple weeks because it was uncomfortable.

Bob

The mask can be a trigger for me. It's very uncomfortable.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Redneck

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 3rd, 2005, 11:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I had to quit the cpap during this cycle, didnt help, night attacks came like clockwork. Not sure if it triggered attacks, think it may have. This cycle has wound down some so back on the cpap. I was told originally that apnea could contribute to clusters, but never heard anything about it preventing cycles and it damn sure dont work in place of 02.
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #7 on: Feb 5th, 2005, 12:00pm »

I've been on CPAP therapy for 2 years now, and it has made a positive difference in treating my apnea. Unfortunately, it has made no difference in the frequency or intensity of CH. I was hoping it would, in that there are theories linking the onset of CH to disruptions in sleep patterns, but alas, no dice.

It sure is nice to feel rested when I wake up, though (when I'm not in CH cycle, that is).

One other thing - there are two little nozzles on the front of my CPAP mask that are normally covered which can be used to attach an oxygen feed. (I guess some really severe cases of apnea require extra oxygen as it's the drop in blood oxygen levels that cause the patient to awaken sometimes hundreds of times a night.)
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
ex_pat_asia
New Board Veteran
Malaysia 

"Sometimes the wolves lie down and the Moon howls

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 5th, 2005, 7:37pm »

There is clearly some misunderstanding on the board about the role of CPAP and the probable role of sleep apnea as a concomitant disorder that can aggravate cluster in a cluster patient. First you have to accept that If you are a clusterhead, then there are going to be things that aggravate your condition. These include the well known (to us) triggers like alcohol, chocolate, changes in barometric pressure, and so on. These are pretty widely accepted on the boards here as known triggers of an attack and each of us have our personal list. Not as widely understood is the role of seasonal changes, sunlight, time zone changes, and smells. You can add to the list sleep apnea.  

CPAP is the preferred treatment for sleep apnea. Prevention of apneas from occurring, may very well reduce or eliminate cluster attacks altogether. The connection is well established in the literature if not in your Neuroligist's oeuvre of knowledge about cluster.

For a start here is an article link: http://www.talkaboutsleep.com/sleepdisorders/Snoring_apnea_cluster.htm

And still another reference to the same study:
http://www.respiratoryreviews.com/sep00/rr_sep00_clusterheadaches.html

Finally, here is a link to an earlier study performed by the neurologist (Kudrow), who referred me to the sleep clinic to confirm the apnea diagnosis. This page has the abstract but also has a link to the full text of the study.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed &list_uids=6713522&dopt=Abstract

« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2005, 7:49pm by ex_pat_asia » IP Logged

ex_pat_asia
"Work like you don't need the money,
dance like no one is watching,
love like you'll never get hurt" - Anon.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss