Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 3:55pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Dr. Robbins paper »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Dr. Robbins paper
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Dr. Robbins paper  (Read 294 times)
debz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Newbie
USA 

doctortansy   doctortansy

Dr. Robbins paper
« on: Feb 2nd, 2005, 11:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have seen reference to a book by Dr. Robbins several times here on the MB. I came across this the other day and it seems that it might be an excerpt from or an update to that book --don't know for sure cause I haven't seen the book, but the book description seems similar to the content of this paper. And it's free. Smiley

http://www.headachedrugs.com/pdf/HA2005.pdf
IP Logged

Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased; thus do we refute the law of entropy. -- Spider Robinson
floridian

Email

Re: Dr. Robbins paper
« Reply #1 on: Feb 3rd, 2005, 8:19am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Looks like a good article - putting that one on my hard drive before it dissappears or they start charging for it.  

Thanks!
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 3rd, 2005, 9:22am »

Delighted to see this article has returned. Robbins used to do an annual article like this and then it disappeared about 3-yrs ago when the site was reorganized (for the worse).  

Much of this information is from his book (which I've been pushing since its publication). The major benefit of this article is that new material has been added to the book reflecting current research/clinical experience.
----------------------------

MANAGEMENT OF HEADACHE AND HEADACHE MEDICATIONS, 2nd ed. Lawrence D. Robbins, M.D.; pub. by Springer. $49 at Amazon.Com. This volume is better organized and easier to read for nonprofessionals compared to Saper's book. It covers all types of headache and is primarily focused on medications. While the two chapters on CH total 42-pages, the actual relevant material is longer because of multiple references to material in chapters on migraine, reflecting the overlap in drugs used to treat. I'd suggest reading the chapters on migraine for three reasons: he makes references to CH & medications which are not in the index; there are "clinical pearls" about how to approach the treatment of headache; and, you gain better perspective on the nature of headache, in general, and the complexities of treatment (which need to be considered when we create expectations about what is possible). Finally, women will appreciate & benefit from his running information on hormones/menstrual cycles as they affect headache. Chapter on headache following head trauma, also. Obviously, I'm impressed with Robbins' work (even if the book needs the touch of a good editor!) (Somewhat longer review/content statement at 3/22/00, "Good book...."Wink

HEADACHE HELP, Revised edition, 2000; Lawrence Robbins, M.D., Houghton Mifflin, $15. Written for a nonprofessional audience, it contains almost all the material in the preceding volume but it's much easier reading. Highly recommended.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 3rd, 2005, 8:06pm »

Thanks all.  It's on my hard drive now too!

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
debz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Newbie
USA 

doctortansy   doctortansy

« Reply #4 on: Feb 3rd, 2005, 8:31pm »

The same website (http://www.headachedrugs.com) also has links to current abstracts on the front page, it might be handy place for a quick list of the latest publications... if they keep it current.
IP Logged

Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased; thus do we refute the law of entropy. -- Spider Robinson
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss